As told already, I make trees from Myrica Gale. I don't know of this plant is growing in the UK, or where it can be find.

Where I live in the south of the Netherlands, there's a plenty of them on the borders of fens.

mg.png

I cut some branches of the plant. When you look well, you'll find material for different sort of trees.

mgcut.png

On the same area, I find this real Birch. As you see with rather few leaves.

bark100.png

And I make a sort of copy with a branch of the Myrica Gale. The branch is sprayed with black acrylic paint.
And covered with gypsum powder. And afterwards provide with Woodlands foliage, turf and fiber.

barksc.png

Later I will tell you more about my green experiments on my website/blog.

Grzz, Hans

Due to the comments here on the RMweb, we changed the signal plan. The number of semaphores is reduced to 7.
Also the dimensions of the platforms changed. Wateringbury Railway Station has staggered platforms.

To enable long trains with a length of 150mm, we had to go for a compromise.

See for more information: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/signals/

Grzz, Hans

• RMweb Gold

At first I made the table parts for Beltring & Branbridges and the connection between the "bridge" and Wateringbury.

from an old Ikea Ivar Bookcase I made an underframe. The tabletop is on 90cm.

bbleeg.jpg

For the traverser I made with my son a case from MDF

traverserkast.jpg

And in the corner I made the first track. I use here Hornby Curved points and Piko A flex code 100.

As you can see I used double-sided tape to fix the tracks.

wb_lv.jpg

Grzz, Hans

Try to avoid using the Hornby curved points. Often cause a lot of derailment problems.

I agree but if you increase the amount of foliage to make it more rounded, it would pass for a Silver Birch, of which there are many in the Medway. You need to think about deciduous trees, like oaks, ash, and birch, and so on, to make your scene authentic Hans, with maybe a few small clusters of firs.

The tree I made, was an experiment for the museum layout of the Eindhovense Modelbouw Vereniging.

For the Medway Valley Line I found already some reference photos from Nigel Chadwick (licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence)

But when somebody has more pictures, please be welcome.

Anyway, the Miryca Gale is suitable a basic material for different trees.

Grzz, Hans

1231827.jpg

1159036.jpg

1159051.jpg

1159049.jpg

1159047.jpg

1159042.jpg

1159034.jpg

Try to avoid using the Hornby curved points. Often cause a lot of derailment problems.

@Joseph,

See my website for an explanation: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/curved-points/

The Hornby curved points are actualy very suitable for the job.

There's no derailment of the steam locomotives and/or coaches. I use Hornby Pullman and Maunsell coaches.

Also shorter locomotives pass without problems. In both directions.

I tried today my newly arrived acquisition; a Bachmann Class E4 473 - in Southern Green.

473c.png

Grzz, Hans

Due to the comments here on the RMweb, we changed the signal plan. The number of semaphores is reduced to 7.

Also the dimensions of the platforms changed. Wateringbury Railway Station has staggered platforms.

To enable long trains with a length of 150mm, we had to go for a compromise.

See for more information: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/signals/

Grzz, Hans

I still think you should signal the crossover adjacent to CP, using disc shunting signals, if that crossover is controlled by the signal box. Technically you should then also have a shunt signal or route indicator at signal 6.

Otherwise, looks fine.

I still think you should signal the crossover adjacent to CP, using disc shunting signals, if that crossover is controlled by the signal box. Technically you should then also have a shunt signal or route indicator at signal 6.

Otherwise, looks fine.

Hi Mike 

Another victim of compromise, I'm afraid. In real life, the crossover was only meant as an access to  the goods yard and loop from the up line. In front of signal 8 there weren't two separate points, but just one single slip, making the yard and loop physically inaccessible  from the direction of  down home signal 8.  But due to the constraints of working with RTR points, it wasn't possible to fit a single slip neatly into the curve on the layout. Maybe Hans should start building his own points... Or, of course, add the disc shunting signals!

Of course there are a lot of compromises. On the webpage, Tom Burnham suggested to add a banner repeater signal in front of the station building of Wateringbury. I think it's a problem. We decided to extend the platform there.

And I don't know if the suggested signal had a mechanic version. On the LinkedIn photo I see a light version.

The signal plan is based on the mechanic semaphores.

Would I build points? I don't know... My son wants me to do it. :)

But to use extra disks is a good alternative.

Grzz, Hans

Since 2011 there’s a group of Dutch model railroad enthousiasts with a special interest in 4mm scale British or Irish model railways.

We build layouts and modular tracks in OO, we gather information, and we visit the UK or Ireland as much as possible.

We are members of the main Dutch model railroad forum Beneluxspoor.nl, as well we are members of the British equivalent the RMweb.

litterbin.png

The (funny) name of our group is “Litter Bin“. It’s one of the longest topics on Beneluxpoor.net

Today we had a meeting for members in Barendrecht close to Rotterdam.

We were invited by the “Maasoever Spoorweg“. A miniature railway company with a combined 7 1/4 inch (184mm) and inch (127mm) track.

See  the lovely pictures on their website,

We also had some presentations of applied crafts & arts of our members.
It was an honor for me to introduce some new materials for lasercutting. Later on, I will present these on my website.
See for a short introduction: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/06/06/litter-bin/

Grzz, Hans

Today I received fantastic material from Ian Maccormac. The Chatham Model Railway Club build Wateringbury in 1985.

So now I have more and detailed information, and some very good drawings extra.

spwb.png

Thank you Ian!!

Grzz, Hans

With drawings, photographs , dimensions and technical descriptions I have collected in the last months, I can build realistic buildings and structuresmy on my layout. For this purpose, I create first CAD drawings for building constructions and second for separated surfaces (‘wallpaper ‘). For the technical building constructions, I use solid hard materials as plywood, MDF, ABS, Acrylic, PET and cardboard. And for the surfaces, I will work with hard and soft moulds and/or clays.

surface02.png

wall02.png

For "how to" very soft and flexible wall surfaces, able to cut with a lasercutter, see: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/06/10/constructions-and-surfaces/

Grzz, Hans

Regarding to the use of separate surfaces, I made a tunnel portal with a hard surface of a mixture do acrylic paint, glue and gypsum.

On my layout I need four tunnel portals. Three of them have the same appearance, one is different while the tracks have a greater distance. I make the prototypical portal three times in different surfaces.

For the first one I use a hard surface (based on acrylic paint, glue and gypsum). The construction is made of waste wood. Both are cut with a laser. The parts are glued together in layers with a Heki glue/paint  mixture.

tpsmall.png

See for more info: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/06/12/tunnel-portal/

Grzz, Hans

Today I started with a new tree.

image_2753.jpg

The skeleton of Myrica Gale is sprayed with grey paint.
I used "Stone Grey Dark" nr. 211 from Belton Molotow Premium.

Grzz, Hans

stp.png

For a double tunnel portal between the bridge and Wateringbury Railway Sation is no space.
The distance between the tracks is, after all, larger than 50mm. I therefore need two single portals .

Coincidentally, at the EMV there was a mould for a single tunnel portal.
To make a latex mould maker it's much easier than to make a silicone mould; and is much cheaper.
You can make the same surfaces as with a silicone mould, but the latex mould is less
deep. The casting will be thinner than 1mm.

See my log for further information: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/06/18/single-tunnel-portal/

Grzz, Hans

oasthouse-small.png

Nobody likes counting.
Especially if you have to make a lot of scale calculations.

In the drawing above of a Kentish Oasthouse I’m developing now, I know only one size.
The height of the cellar is 2700mm. From this measurement I have to calculate every other length.

To make life a bit easier, I made a conversion-to-scale tool.
You can calculate any length from “Real” to 1:87 (3,5mm scale) or to 1:76,2 (4mm scale).
And backwards. When you like it, download it for free.

See: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/conversion-to-scale/

Grzz, Hans

mould-small.png

After explaining how to create surfaces, I would like to show the making of your own inexpensive moulds.
This involves a so-called “latex mould”. This can be made in an ultra short time.

The basis for such a mould is a master model which is engraved with a lasercutter in an ABS plate.

See for more information: https://medwayvalleyline.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/making-a-latex-mould/

Grzz, Hans

Archived