Where do you live than?

I like to go again to Kent... for another holiday.

Grzz, Hans

Well I live in Yorkshire, but I grew up at the north end of the Medway Valley Line, the end where the countryside gives way to industry!

Earlier, I showed here how to make a tree skeleton from a branche of the Myrica Gale.
Now further on, how to decorate the skeleton .
The choice fell on sea foam.

Superglue was at the end not the best solution .
I tried to tie the sea foam with thin copper wire. Succesfull, but it was too much work.
The best way was to glue it with UHU hart.

The tree isn't finished yet, but it looks already like a tree.  :)

boom_02a.jpg

Grzz, Hans

Today I went on with my tree.
It is has become a giant of a tree. OK, the horse on the photo is at 3,5mm scale, but also in 4mm scale it's still a big tree.

img_2197-1.jpg

Furthermore, I had a job to do with my SR 4-4-0 Schools Class 'Charterhouse'.
There were a number of issues. So was one of the leads of the mini plug between the locomotive and the tender broken.
Therefore, a new mini plug wiring had to be soldered.

Also, the locomotive was equipped with a DCC decoder. I use a hyper-cheap one from China.
SR locomotives have no special features, for example no lights. Simple is good enough, then.

For my class E4, I had also such a cheap decoder. But ... this was dead on arrival.
No problem , just complain, and there was immediately a new one promised.
Admittedly a 8pin instead of a 6pin , because these 6pin was no longer in stock.
That 8pinner so goes my new Class 5Mt. :)

Finally, I found a solution for the connection between bogie and body.
The bogie was loosely below, separated by a spring feather.
So I made a tiny ring with the lasercutter.
It fits neatly on top of the pin of the bogie. And sits clamp.

Well, and here a picture of my UK locomotives. Only my T9 is not on this photo.

Grzz, Hans

img_2204-1.jpg

Truly a first-class tree.  :good:

Do you know how you'll be dealing with the multiple liveries/eras? Will they all run together or will you stick to one era at a time?

And how's the track laying going? :)

P.S. I think the Schools' tender isn't quite on the rails in that picture...

Quentin

@Mightbe,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

The trick of my Medway Valley Line layout is that the surroundings didn't change for decades.

So you can use indeed trains of different eras. But not at the same time.

I plan to use a simple DCC system e.g. the Hornby Railmaster/eLink combination on my computer.

Without a Loco detection system yet (It's promised already for months...) I can run only one train at the time.

Or one train automatic, and another for shunting at the Inglenook sidings (on the goods yard).

The clue is of course the traverser. Only one track is reserved for through traffic.

It will be a challenge to control it remotely. But I work on the concept already with my club fellows.

For the track I'am busy with my bridge module. But it is a liitle bit complex.

This bridge part will be also a component of a modular system of the 'British Module Baan', a Dutch modular system.

With some guys of the so called 'Litter Bin' group, I work on this exibition project.

bmb-small.png

The Bridge part will be a 'Jig Saw' piece in this module.

For the tracks on Wateringbury Railway Station, I try to develop a new system for track laying.

It's based on Bullhead track of C&L code 75, and lasercutted sleepers. The chairs in SR style will be something new.

See: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18975948/Films/IMG_1612.m4v

The use of this new system for the Stoneham Lock Railway Bridge and Beltringring & Branbridges Halt depends of the possibility to use my older European stock.

When not, I use Piko A code 100 there.

Next week, I hope to inform you about the progressions.

Grzz, Hans

Good luck with your panels, they look excellent. 

If your European stock won't run through it the way you planned, I have an idea where you can keep the appearance of chaired track:

Take your laser panels and glue them to your roadbed material (cork or whatever you'll be using--though this method might work better if you glue the panels directly to the wooden board).

Every five or so sleepers, drill a small pilot hole directly where a rail would go.

Carefully hammer a very small nail into each hole. Hammer until the head is flush with the top of the sleeper.

Tin the head of each nail with a *tiny* bit of solder.

Solder a length of Piko code 100 rail onto the tinned nails--make sure you use as little solder as possible, and make sure that the end of each rail is soldered to a nail. It's a good idea to use a straightedge (ruler or something) to keep the rail straight. Using some roller gauges, set the other rail and solder it into place. For curves, some Blu-Tack or similar can hold the rail in place for soldering.

Now take a bunch of C&L or Exactoscale chairs and cut them in half. Cut as close to the side of the outside half as possible. Throw away the inside halves, as they will be hit by large flanges. Glue the outside halves onto the outside of each rail. They should fit underneath the head of the rail and touch the side of the rail like this: __rI______I __ (imagine a backwards "r" touching the outside of the other "rail")

Obviously the rail will be the wrong shape but I think the improved look of the chairs and sleepers will completely hide this, especially when it's all painted. In any case it will look much more British than Piko flextrack with the added benefit that larger flanges will run through it. :)

Is there a webpage for the British Module Baan layout?

Quentin

@Quentin,

Well for the 'British Module Baan' (BMB) we have a thread on the Beneluxspoor.Net (BNLS)

(Google translated...)

It's possible you can not follow the discussion, without the previous developments.

The BMB is a variant of the predecessor, the 'BNLS-modulebaan' for 3,5mm scale.

The differences are the use of Peco code 75, instead of code 100; the track distance and the coupling equipement between the modules.

For an article about the phylosofy behind this concept, see the Beneluxspoor.Net Encyclopedia (Google translated version).

For the new track system I try to rebuild the shape of the chairs. Also the European stock has to pass a code 75 rail.

Grzz, Hans

I started with a new category on this website/blog.

Under the menu “How to…” you will find instructions to build or copy items for your own layout.
It’s comparable with a cookbook containing several receipts.

img_2197-1.jpg?w=300&h=400

The first chapter is how to make a realistic tree is to find on my website/blog.

You'll find a good overview of different types of trees.

Grzz, Hans

I had to find out specific functions in WordPress.

Via the 'How to... page' on my website/blog you find now a group of related pages about trees on a layout

It's like the reiceps in a cook book.

Grzz, Hans

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wateringbury was one of the first boxes i ever worked at. I lovely signalbox, but sadly the platform starter is now colour light, and it completely soils the look of the place. The box controlled several crossing, Teston a CCTV crossing, its own crossing (as seen in the pics). Yalding open level crossing and Beltring a AHB crossing. It also had about 4 occupation crossing where you would need to ring the signalman for permission to cross and East Peckham sidings.

I am very lucky as two people in here are making layouts of different places that i worked!

@Blue,

Thanks a lot. Of course I have already lot of pictures.

But some of these new ones are very helpfull.

Last year I saw the crossing gates, in a split second from the window of a double decker bus passing Wateringbury.

In that second I knew, I want to know more. The rest is just history.

Nice to meet friendly and helpfull people on th RMweb. :)

Grzz, Hans

• 2 months later...

I've only just come across your thread here Hans, a fantastic project. The Medway Valley line is picturesque, it would have made a superb heritage line! I've travelled on it a number of times travelling from Paddock Wood to Maidstone Barracks, very green! Incidentally on the higher ground looking down to the Medwsy there are a few WW2 "Pill-boxes", one would assume they were there for training purposes, unless they expected an invasion up the Medway!

Love those trees Hans! Look forward to seeing updates...

Archived