Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A thanks to friendly drivers and staff

I know there are quite a few railway workers on here, so having spent an hour on Hereford station watching a bit of freight with my 5 year old lad yesterday lunchtime I would like to send out an extended 'thank you' to the drivers who waved and the platform staff who kindly let us onto the platform. He certainly appreciated it :-)

What they said above :)

As a child my father would always take me to the front of the train ( steam back then) and say "thank you" to the crew. I have memories of them usually replying, some would give a friendly wave as they left with the onward journey and some with an extra whistle too !

To this day I will always thank the guard upon disembarking and give the driver a friendly wave / thumbs up as I pass the cab ( not always possible depending on which units are used!) it's my way of thanking them for getting me to my destination safely, they deserve it in my opinion.

I always thank the Guard, or Driver if at that end of the train, at journeys end :)

" the ones with things like "customer assistant" on their name badge that are the least friendly!

"

Whilst I agree to some extent Mickey, there's some lovely looking young ladies in uniform walking around Exeter St.Davids so I think my vision can be blurred slightly and turn a blind eye to their attitude sometimes ! Always was a sucker for a nice looking woman !!!!

• RMweb Gold

I want to say a big thank you to the staff of Transpennine Express.

Friendly toots to me, (ok my young son sat on my shoulders), AND they have somehow increased train lengths at peak periods too!

Well done.

Kev.

(and my now 7yr old son.)

One of our Drivers arrived at Victoria a bit late in the eighties, after a rather slow journey from Maidstone East. Most passengers just walked past the cab with an indignant look, but one passenger came upto the cab and said "you b!!!!!!!!!!". The reply from the driver was "hello Dad" said passenger disappeared quickly. Mostly the passengers understood and with the PA systems today it's a lot easier keeping the passengers (or should it be customers) informed.

Simon

I reember reading that king George VI., whenever he traveled by train, always made a point of removing his gloves if he were in uniform before going-up to thank the driver and to shake hands; the driver invariably introduced his fireman to HM..

I think that many drivers & firemen appreciated the fact that many members of the traveling public used to make an habit of looking-at their locos. - even if some of the questions asked might have been a bit dumb.  At least the interest was there.

IIRC. at one time, and for  short time-period,  on the WR. drivers hung a notice on the cab's side shewing the crew's names - a good idea, IMHO..

:locomotive:

En-route to school, and previously nursery, my grandsons would wait at Pontyclun in order to watch, and wave to, the passing Robeston - Theale/Westerleigh tanks.

The train is invariably Class 60 hauled, and many drivers would sound the locos distinctive horn as they passed.

To three year olds that translated to "na-na !"

Now, a couple of years on, they know most classes by sight including Deltic, Western, Warship, a Class 37, and even refer to an "HST" (which stands them out from the part-time enthusiasts who say "Inter City" or "125" ).

But, try as I may, Class 60s remain "na-na train" due to the drivers sounding their horns; and they are thrown a bit when a 60 appears on a steel working and not tanks; and great is their joy when the occasional Colas liveried version passes.

Brian R

Hi Jonas good to see you and your lad enjoying your day . You are right, there is a few of us on here,

I dropped in with 66058 on 6V75

cheers Greg

I'm so glad you've seen this post - that's ace :-) thanks again Greg!

I reember reading that king George VI., whenever he traveled by train, always made a point of removing his gloves if he were in uniform before going-up to thank the driver and to shake hands; the driver invariably introduced his fireman to HM..

I think that many drivers & firemen appreciated the fact that many members of the traveling public used to make an habit of looking-at their locos. - even if some of the questions asked might have been a bit dumb.  At least the interest was there.

IIRC. at one time, and for  short time-period,  on the WR. drivers hung a notice on the cab's side shewing the crew's names - a good idea, IMHO..

:locomotive:

The practice of a cabside drivers nameplate still continues, here is a photo from 2006, though in this instance too small to read. 

The driver is Geoff Ewans, who knowing that Mrs Riverciders mother and father would always watch out for the Torbay Express to pass,

would alway give an extra toot or two between Weston-super-Mare and Uphill Junction

post-7081-0-66262200-1433185793_thumb.jpg

6024 KIng Edward I at Taunton while working the Torbay Express, Barton Hill driver Geoff Ewans takes a break, 3/9/2006

cheers

I have to confess I've never thanked the driver of any train I've been on, unlike virtually every bus or coach journey I've undertaken, but that's probably because the drivers are generally pretty detached from their customers. I do however often thank the train staff, they are obviously more engaged with their audience and some play to the audience. East Mids Trains have Sebastian (no idea if it's his real name but thats how he introduces himself), tonight he informed us that the buffet would transform into an at seat trolley service following departure from Bedford when it will seem like three quarters of the world's population had departed the train!

It indeed did, just as it does every night on that train for those travelling North of Bedford. 

Archived