Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

Yes, I was, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A request to provide the missing conductors was fed back to Bachmann, but I'm not sure that the point about letting us retrofit the missing conductors was fully taken on board. Had aninteresting chat with Mike Walton from the LT Museum who commissioned the model, and it sounded like there were a lot of politics in the background and I got the impression that the model might not have seen the light of day if some folks had had their way.

I would like to thank Mike Walton of the LT Museum, Andy Barr, (Heritage Train Ops), Peter Btabham Brabham, (hope I've got his surname correct), and everyone in LTM, and LU for arranging the excursion, plus everyone at Bachmann for bringing us the model.

My only gripe, and I'm really not being fair, was that 45mph on the fast line between Harrow and Moor Park was a bit pedestrian for the Met Line that I fondly remember. Bring back the A Stock Tour when we were bouncing off the cushions at over 70mph.  

Edited by GoingUnderground
  • Like 3

Yes, I was, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A request to provide the missing conductors was fed back to Bachmann, but I'm not sure that the point about letting us retrofit the missing conductors was fully taken on board. Had aninteresting chat with Mike Walton from the LT Museum who commissioned the model, and it sounded like there were a lot of politics in the background and I got the impression that the model might not have seen the light of day if some folks had had their way.

I would like to thank Mike Walton of the LT Museum, Andy Barr, (Heritage Train Ops), Peter Btabham (hope I've got his surname correct), and everyone in LTM, and LU for arranging the excursion, plus everyone at Bachmann for bringing us the model.

My only gripe, and I'm really not being fair, was that 45mph on the fast line between Harrow and Moor Park was a bit pedestrian for the Met Line that I fondly remember. Bring back the A Stock Tour when we were bouncing off the cushions at over 70mph.  

What was the nature of the objections, I wonder?  "Toy trains" trivialising the serious image of the organisation, perhaps?  Wouldn't be the first time, if so ...

I inquired with someone from Bachmann on board the train. I didn't catch his name, but he worked on designing a lot of Bachmann Models.

I explained my issue about the missing contacts in the couplings. He immediately pointed out that they were the same coupling design used on the MPV and Pullman Set so we were both immediately on the same page.

He explained that for economical reasons, and that because it was a commission from the LTM. Bachmann decided to make the couplings without contacts.

Unfortunately, he told me that replacement couplings will be exactly the same without contacts. Though apparently it is possible to put contacts in, he suggested that I call Bachmann Customer Support and ask for a service diagram of the couplings or alternatively find a coupling off a second hand Pullman or MPV. 

Patrick

• RMweb Gold

...and I also talked about the difference in height of the end cars and adjoining intermediate cars and Bachmann advised that they were aware of the issue and will be looking at it to see if anything can be done.

All in all it was a great day. Most impressed that they had also arranged for the original unit modelled to be in the adjacent platform at Watford when arrived.

Many thanks to all who had organised the trip and great that we were also able to have some meaningful conversation with the lads and lasses from Bachmann.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am looking at replacing the wheels with the ones with the tyres on.

Could someone please advise as to which axial to replace on each car motor,i.e.is it the inner,or outer one.

I think I did the inner one  but not being 100% sure would suggest you make a quick call to the Service Department at Bachmann and confirm that with them - I found them very helpful when I spoke to them.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I've just opened the boxes and got my S8 running. Changing the axle to the one with traction tyres, and installing the decoders were simple. I'm beginning to wish I had bought a couple of lighting sets from Train-Tech on Saturday.

Incidentally, I was wondering what address people who have chipped their S-class have used. I used 8788, because the model is of cars with running numbers ending in 87 and 88.

• RMweb Gold

I've finally got round to uploading some of the pics taken during Saturday's S7 trip.  Congratulations to the LT Museum for organising the trip and all of the staff for a great day out.  Oh and we did reach 49 mph at least at one point!

21844878635_f07e784015.jpg01 S7 Moorgate 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21832999882_070c6b59a3.jpg02 S7 Cab at Barbican 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21223819013_8cf274653b.jpg03 S7 Amersham 01 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21657992649_d677d18e91.jpg04 S7 Amersham 02 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21657989739_b99f8b1e93.jpg05 S7 Amersham 03 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21832988822_66e6ee9259.jpg06 S7 Chalfont & Latimer 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21844862495_ff399bd908.jpg07 S7 at 49 mph 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21818721896_beffc956d7.jpg08 S8 21088 Bachmann Prototype 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

21844858435_b050fc216e.jpg09 S7 Watford 260915 by robfrowen, on Flickr

• Like 9

I've just opened the boxes and got my S8 running. Changing the axle to the one with traction tyres, and installing the decoders were simple. I'm beginning to wish I had bought a couple of lighting sets from Train-Tech on Saturday.

Jane, you can purchase them from the LT Museum online shop now.

Incidentally, I was wondering what address people who have chipped their S-class have used. I used 8788, because the model is of cars with running numbers ending in 87 and 88.

Im looking at changing the wheel sets to the ones with the tyres,was it easy to do,i have never done anything like this before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. I used a small screwdriver to lever the keeper plate of the bogie off, then I pulled the outer axle out by holding the wheels firmly between finger and thumb and rolling gently towards the middle of the bogie. Then I gently rolled the new axle back into place, ensuring the bearings are sat in the correct place and the pickups bear on the back of the wheels. Then the keeper plate is replaced, making sure that the dummy third-rail pickups are towards the middle of the car, and pressing firmly until a click is heard or felt.

My 6-car set arrived today in a nice big parcel from the LT Museum.

After unpacking the individual vehicles, I worked out the correct order for the particular ones I have. I ran the two motor cars in simultaneously on the rolling road on DC, then after an hour or so of perfect running in both directions, decided to fit two identical decoders. I had two TCS EU621 decoders in the box and one Lenz Silver 21+ (the preferred choice), so it was the TCS ones that got installed ... except that on interrogating them on the programming track, one of them was a Lenz decoder! So my preference was realised with two Lenz decoders fitted.

I programmed the two decoders simultaneously to address 87 and set the inertia/momentum CVs to CV3 = 25 and CV4 = 20, which give nice balanced acceleration and deceleration rates. I left the top and middle speeds (CVs 5 and 6) at the Lenz defaults for now but may adjust them later.

There was no need to reverse one decoder using CV29 as the motor coach pairs seem to be wired accordingly.

Once the set was assembled on the track, it behaved impeccably and didn't highlight any clearance problems through the platforms either, at least in the direction I am running it at the moment.

I'll post pics and possibly a little video later, but right now, I'm very happy with my purchase.

EDIT: two quick photos posted.

LUL%20S%20Stock%20-%201_zpsugmykhqm.jpg

LUL%20S%20Stock%20-%202_zpsfq5iallp.jpg

As can be seen, the 6-car set just fits the platform and loop lengths perfectly.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 9

Oh dear... received my 4 cars 'S' stock train pack and 'Light and Sound' accessory this morning from LTM... what a disappointment!  One of the dummy pick-up shoes popped off when removing from packaging, defective electrical connection on one of the power cars, one of the rear red tail lights was dimmer than the other and generally very disappointing attention to details for £280.  Needless to say the whole lot has been returned for a refund, Very disappointing, Bachmann need to tighten up their quality control.    

I have replaced the wheels today with the ones with tyres on and what a difference,I was a little concerned that over time the motor's might bun out as the 4 car set seemed to struggle especially on curves and a very slight incline.

If anyone is interested in doing the same and you are not too sure what to do have a look at Budgie's post 446 above,and follow that,it took me about 5 mins to change both cars,no need to dismantle the whole unit as recommended by Bachmann when `I spoke to their technical dept.

• RMweb Gold

I have replaced the wheels today with the ones with tyres on and what a difference,I was a little concerned that over time the motor's might bun out as the 4 car set seemed to struggle especially on curves and a very slight incline.

Petee,

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts my unit initially performed as yours has but after fully running-in the short unit (over 4 evenings for one hour per evening) I gradually added the extra trailers until I had an 8-car unit which now manages to climb my 3ft radius 2% incline without any problems. I even stopped and restarted the unit half-way up the incline with no problem.

Answer, I think, is to properly run-in the unit over an extended period of time.

My next plan is to add some weights to each car (equivalent to the weight of the Train-Tech lighting bars) to see if the unit still makes it up the inline with the added weight. If it does I can then order the lighting units.

Keith

• Like 1

My tracks are fairly level (within the limits of the floor the layout is on!!), and I found that with the 6-car train there was no problem with traction. I did take the precaution of oiling each axle of every coach before assembling the unit and running it. My smallest curves are approximately equivalent to radius 3 set track, and there were no problems there. My biggest worry was that the mechanisms would foul the third and fourth rails somewhere. but that hasn't happened, thankfully.

• 3 weeks later...