Filey Holiday Camp

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if they offered them then, but some places would do mini-breaks like 3 or 4 days instead of a full week.

That said you'd probably have to get to the camp from the town station, presumably all the Camp station resources were concentrated on Saturdays.

Did the arriving trains come in in the morning then wait for the afternoon departures? The changeover must've been pretty busy with hundreds of people coming and going!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Interesting story about the line here http://www.hunmanby.com/harrycrash.html

Edit - and more here including full diagram https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103125-photos-of-east-yorkshire-railways/page/3/

Jim

Thanks for that as I had been struggling to trying to work out the layout for the loco sidings from the pictures.

• Like 1

Having done some investigation into the history of the HC branch myself, I can add that the track layout on the branch was simplified a few years prior to final closure.

Refer to the "full diagram" link above:

From what I have seen, part of the scissors crossover was removed  - the part that connected to No 3 and 4 Platform Line. There were still stumps of track leading to turnout No 19, but the turnout itself was removed. 

It looked like (from photos I have seen) the only remaining track between the scissors and the buffers was that serving Platforms 1 and 2, together with "Engine Line No 1" alongside the line for Platform 1. It looked like Engine Line No 1 was kept in situ but rarely (or never?) used. Platform 2 looked like it was plain line all the way to the stops. 

I suspect that after the track simplification, the branch was only ever used by DMUs. Happy to be proved wrong and/or corrected...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In the past I have looked at Filey Holiday Camp as a potential model, It would have fitted in with my desire for a terminus station in the middle of the room with a Y junction leading to a track running around the room. Luckily I had the room to make my layout Sheffield Exchange.

One of the beauties of Filey is a busy (at times) terminus and at the same time being ideal for the modeller who does not like making buildings.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, EddieK said:

Having done some investigation into the history of the HC branch myself, I can add that the track layout on the branch was simplified a few years prior to final closure.

Refer to the "full diagram" link above:

From what I have seen, part of the scissors crossover was removed  - the part that connected to No 3 and 4 Platform Line. There were still stumps of track leading to turnout No 19, but the turnout itself was removed. 

It looked like (from photos I have seen) the only remaining track between the scissors and the buffers was that serving Platforms 1 and 2, together with "Engine Line No 1" alongside the line for Platform 1. It looked like Engine Line No 1 was kept in situ but rarely (or never?) used. Platform 2 looked like it was plain line all the way to the stops. 

I suspect that after the track simplification, the branch was only ever used by DMUs. Happy to be proved wrong and/or corrected...

One of the pictures that I posted from 1977 does have a caption that says "The tracks from platforms 3 & 4 had been lifted some years previously".

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2015 at 22:41, 46444 said:

Hi Nick,

There's a book published titled 'The History of the Hull-Scarborough Line' which gives a good account of the Filey Butlins terminus. Here's the link:

http://www.kestrelrailwaybooks.co.uk/hullscar.htm

I have a copy but I've lent it out to a friend.

May be worth sourcing a copy.

The concrete platforms and lights are still in situ as is the triangle formation of embankments off the mainline.

Cheers,

Mark

That book is currently available from World of Books secondhand at £16.99 including p&p. WofB works with charity shops and offers really good prices and a swift delivery service. I have no connection apart from as a very satisfied customer. https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/edited-by-john-addyman/history-of-the-hull-and-scarborough-railway/GOR010003412

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

just to agree with Phil, I have used World of Books previously for my favourite subject, music biographies - managed to get some that have been out of print for a while

Often there is a choice (depending on condition/rarity etc.), obviously best condition or rare books will attract a premium but if you're just after a decent condition book (i.e. complete & not falling apart), then prices can be pretty good.