Rapido LRC in Starship Enterprise Shuttle livery - limited edition

JSpencer

It's nice to see what Jason had in mind here, he had shared pictures of these in production.

That's a really great gesture by Jason and RapidoTrains.

How long has this page been up?

I see that bidding ends in just six hours.  According to the page, the average bid is $475, though at least one is $1000.

Sorry I didn't publicize it here!  I was simply too busy and I have not yet introduced Mike to the wonders of RMWeb.

We raised over $20,000 Canadian dollars (about £7.35) for The Lung Association, which is an amazing achievement and tells us a lot about the generous spirit of our customers.  We'll be including more info in our newsletters in due course.

Best regards,

Jason

Update - I won one!

As I wish to add sound to mine, does anyone know whether I should buy the 8 pin chip or 21 pin chip?

In fact I am not entirely sure which one it is but guess maybe it is this one:

RAPIDO/ESU HO MLW/ALCO/BOMBARDIER (251F/V16) SOUND DECODER WITH TWO SPECIAL SPEAKERS

I say that because I don,t see LRC written in any of the chips, but the drawing looks close....

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Rapido LRC shuttle today. Number 36 out of 40, so just nipped in with my bid.

The DCC sound apparently drops in, but only once you explode an A bomb to clear everything out by several miles, then build lab room painted white, with everything white, complete with transporter shielding. Then you can take the body apart - this being the image the guide book personally gives me in my imagination while reading it.

Quite a funny read, printed large enough so as not to need glasses, although no pictures except for a compact exploded diagram on a loose sheet of A4 which is printed small enough so as to need a microscope ;-)

WOW Driving instructions look very special for this baby, unlike a any DCC loco I have now. People should sit an exam and get a permit before driving this by the looks of it. I bet my temporamental Hornby DCC PC based system will make pigs ear of it.

Just need to set aside some evenings.

Got my Rapido LRC shuttle today. Number 36 out of 40, so just nipped in with my bid.

The DCC sound apparently drops in, but only once you explode an A bomb to clear everything out by several miles, then build lab room painted white, with everything white, complete with transporter shielding. Then you can take the body apart - this being the image the guide book personally gives me in my imagination while reading it.

Quite a funny read, printed large enough so as not to need glasses, although no pictures except for a compact exploded diagram on a loose sheet of A4 which is printed small enough so as to need a microscope ;-)

WOW Driving instructions look very special for this baby, unlike a any DCC loco I have now. People should sit an exam and get a permit before driving this by the looks of it. I bet my temporamental Hornby DCC PC based system will make pigs ear of it.

Just need to set aside some evenings.

Not really difficult, just that you need to press functions 3, 4 and 5 one after the other to get the FULL effect of the 'bucket of loose bolts' engine noise. 

Body off now.

The instructions are undo 2 screws (in my case one, as one was missing) pull out couplings (both there) and wiggle off the body. In practice the last part is dig your nails in to un clip the sides. Quite easy really and no where near as hard as trying to unclip a Heljan body (unless the only Heljan you brought was a DP2).

Now Rapido supply a chip with 2 neat compact speakers which their website talks about as a revolution as they clip on somewhere with no soldering required. I studied these and the LRC for about 5 minutes, flicked through the instruction book. Deduced by looking at the loco that the LRC already has 2 much bigger speakers fitted, one above each bogie. Fitted the chip, tested quickly on DC and it spluttered to life.

Reassembly was easy except lining up the last rear part of the undertray behind the rear bogie (not helped by missing a screw I suppose, I have every kind of screw possible except this one!) . But this I eased into place by screwdriver. Tested the sound again, it was fine.

Next it will be programming the PC with the locos functions....

Body off now.

The instructions are undo 2 screws (in my case one, as one was missing) pull out couplings (both there) and wiggle off the body. In practice the last part is dig your nails in to un clip the sides. Quite easy really and no where near as hard as trying to unclip a Heljan body (unless the only Heljan you brought was a DP2).

Now Rapido supply a chip with 2 neat compact speakers which their website talks about as a revolution as they clip on somewhere with no soldering required. I studied these and the LRC for about 5 minutes, flicked through the instruction book. Deduced by looking at the loco that the LRC already has 2 much bigger speakers fitted, one above each bogie. Fitted the chip, tested quickly on DC and it spluttered to life.

Reassembly was easy except lining up the last rear part of the undertray behind the rear bogie (not helped by missing a screw I suppose, I have every kind of screw possible except this one!) . But this I eased into place by screwdriver. Tested the sound again, it was fine.

Next it will be programming the PC with the locos functions....

Message Jason, I'm sure he will organise for the right screw to be sent to you.

Indeed although I feel silly asking to post a screw 5000 miles!

Being silly has never stopped Jason from doing anything (where do i start with that one, what sane person starts a model railroad company specializing in Canadian Prototype passenger cars!! ;P ), i wouldn't let it stop you asking for a part.  Jason (or more likely Dan or Mike who will have to find said screw, package it, affix postage and deliver to some sort of postal receptacle) are always happy to do whatever it takes to make sure things are right for their customers.

I'm glad you got one of the LRC Shuttles, they do look good, and I'm glad Jason was able to parlay something he wanted to do for fun for his collection into a nice donation to a charity.  I assume the DCC is similar to the regular LRC or the F40Ph-D's where you have to go through an order of commands to make them move or they will just sit there and rev the engines like a real locomotive?

Stephen

Being silly has never stopped Jason from doing anything (where do i start with that one, what sane person starts a model railroad company specializing in Canadian Prototype passenger cars!! ;P ), i wouldn't let it stop you asking for a part.  Jason (or more likely Dan or Mike who will have to find said screw, package it, affix postage and deliver to some sort of postal receptacle) are always happy to do whatever it takes to make sure things are right for their customers.

I'm glad you got one of the LRC Shuttles, they do look good, and I'm glad Jason was able to parlay something he wanted to do for fun for his collection into a nice donation to a charity.  I assume the DCC is similar to the regular LRC or the F40Ph-D's where you have to go through an order of commands to make them move or they will just sit there and rev the engines like a real locomotive?

Stephen

Ok, I'll give them a try. The sound chip is Rapidos standard LRC chip. I am having great fun trying to program the LRC sequence into Hornby's railmaster. So far, getting it to jump form start function to standby leads to it shutting down!

Nice sounds, the only mysteries that puzzle me are why do Rapido offer both 8 and 21 pin sound chips with sounds for this model when they are all produced with a 21 pin socket? Equally why do they sell you 2 narrow speakers with the chip when the loco is fitted with 2 big speakers?

I am sure I will find use for these compact speakers somewhere but you don't need them for the LRC (as far as I can tell).

Also The chip has a red light on/off function, yet I cannot see any red lights on the model. Do they exist or is this a standard Rapido function not required off the LRC?

Are the side lights by the front steps supposed to stay on constantly?

Also The chip has a red light on/off function, yet I cannot see any red lights on the model. Do they exist or is this a standard Rapido function not required off the LRC?

Are the side lights by the front steps supposed to stay on constantly?

I think the only red lights on the model are the classification lights above the cab windows, which are red when the unit is in reverse.  I'll have to take my standard LRC off the display shelf and put it on the rollers to see what happens, but IIRC when i ran it in before it got to the shelf, there are red lights on in reverse.  I also don't have DCC, so i can only attest to what the unit did running in on a DC power pack.

I believe that the step lights do stay on constantly, I'm not 100% sure if that is prototypical or a concession to the number of available functions in the decoder.

Yep 20+ K CAD. The amazing thing is, I only saw them talking about taking bids once (one post although commented a few times, only the first post appeared in my news feed) on Facebook and this 3 days from the end. So despite being relatively quiet on the PR front (quiet for Rapido that is), it did amazingly well.

I wonder how many were shipped to Europe?

Will look for the red lights in the next DCC tests.

• RMweb Gold

I won one, but I haven't received the invoice yet. Obviously something is going wrong with the email, but I've looked in all the obvious places, and I don't seem to have received it.

Strange. I was number 36 on the list, with delivery to France plus a couple of days delay due to sorting out sound, plus a weekend lost because I was in a meeting when the delivery popped round.

I would contact them if I were you.

Archived