A stock box...

Hi all

I have produced a Stock box as a small feeder project for my main GCSE which starts today. Is there any chance that those on here could reply by giving a bit of feedback for it please (what you think and areas for improvement). Thanks!

post-22613-0-55228100-1433182136_thumb.jpg                                                                                                            post-22613-0-50473900-1433182171_thumb.jpg

The box was produced from a box file, Glue and Fix (Bostik) All Purpose glue, some Foam Board and some foam, below is how I produced the box.

1.post-22613-0-25571200-1433182219_thumb.jpg                                                                                                         post-22613-0-99319800-1433182241_thumb.jpg

The part of the file which holds down the contents of the file was removed.

2.  post-22613-0-96986500-1433182400_thumb.jpg                                                                                                       post-22613-0-77974200-1433182438_thumb.jpg

Measurements were taken for the outside edges of the box file and foam board was then cut accordingly. It was then glued onto the edges of the box file            using the above mentioned glue

3. post-22613-0-39130400-1433182420_thumb.jpg

A selection of my stock was used to mark out the width of each hole for the wagons to fit into.

4. post-22613-0-40689000-1433182461_thumb.jpg

Pieces of foam board were cut and glued to get the arrangement shown

5. post-22613-0-02403500-1433182646_thumb.jpg

The wagons were then held in place with small pieces of foam board and the pieces of foam found in parcel packaging.

6. post-22613-0-50473900-1433182171_thumb.jpg

The foam was cut and then placed into each hole.

And Hey presto!

Thanks to all those who reply!

Birch1

• RMweb Premium

A few thoughts:

How about some wheel slits to locate vehicles? (If they have a dedicated place). 

Odd pieces of 'plastic pasta' can shift in transit and lead to bad language when the stock also shifts... 

Foam wrap can be easier on paintwork than bubblewrap, foam or plastic pasta, it doesn't leave fibres behind the way cloth can.  http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/catalogSku.do;jsessionid=0000rpaZFHazez8LvdCtbrcp73G:130mjlbo5?id=CA300&cm_mmc=Google-_-PLA_GEN_GOOGLE-SHOPPING_packing-and-mailing-_-Bubble-Wrap-and-Bubble-Bags-_-CA300&_%24ja=cgid:16600084217|tsid:34770|cid:242833697|lid:91709931617|nw:g|crid:55356844337|rnd:17993282408210179727|dvc:c|adp:1o4|bku:1&gclid=CNGJgJud78UCFdQZtAodJFsAPw (smaller packs are also available!)

How about a label for the contents? 

And one for [which way's up]? 

(Two comments which are not as daft as you might think, particularly if you have several boxes and are packing up after a long exhibition weekend). 

How strong is the existing catch? Would it hold if the box was tilted or knocked? 

Don't take the above as too critical, you've a good idea. But your stock is worth protecting, so it's worth being a bit over cautious. 

A few thoughts:

How about some wheel slits to locate vehicles? (If they have a dedicated place). 

Odd pieces of 'plastic pasta' can shift in transit and lead to bad language when the stock also shifts... 

Foam wrap can be easier on paintwork than bubblewrap, foam or plastic pasta, it doesn't leave fibres behind the way cloth can.  http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/catalogSku.do;jsessionid=0000rpaZFHazez8LvdCtbrcp73G:130mjlbo5?id=CA300&cm_mmc=Google-_-PLA_GEN_GOOGLE-SHOPPING_packing-and-mailing-_-Bubble-Wrap-and-Bubble-Bags-_-CA300&_%24ja=cgid:16600084217|tsid:34770|cid:242833697|lid:91709931617|nw:g|crid:55356844337|rnd:17993282408210179727|dvc:c|adp:1o4|bku:1&gclid=CNGJgJud78UCFdQZtAodJFsAPw (smaller packs are also available!)

How about a label for the contents? 

And one for [which way's up]? 

(Two comments which are not as daft as you might think, particularly if you have several boxes and are packing up after a long exhibition weekend). 

How strong is the existing catch? Would it hold if the box was tilted or knocked? 

Don't take the above as too critical, you've a good idea. But your stock is worth protecting, so it's worth being a bit over cautious. 

Hi, thanks for this. Very helpful when evaluating for my GCSE project!

As for your suggestions, one by one!

1. The wheel slits - I will try this, the box is mainly designed for wagons - I don't think the box file would withstand a heavy loco - so it should not be too hard as clearances will be much larger.

2. The foam wrap - Unfortunately this is a bit out of my price range! It is a good idea though and something which I could think about for my main GCSE project.

3. The label - I had never thought of that, it should not be too difficult to add!

4. The catch - I have tested this, it seems robust and catches firmly.

I shall post up any improvements once they are completed

Once again thank you for the feedback.

Birch1

• RMweb Premium

I think I'd agree with what TWR said above, its a good overall idea, simple and cheap, easy to replicate and to alter for other sizes of stock.  I use some too to store older stock, but since its less valuable and with few detail parts to damage, just use pieces of foam between vehicles to hold everything in place.  I might well copy your idea and create some dividers from foamboard.  A cheap source of pieces of foam is pan cleaners, with the coarse part cut off of course - I use them to stop vehicles moving end-to-end.

Just an idea, could you also do a version for small wagons in "book" format - ie standing up on its end so the lid opens like a book, with shelves across, which could probably hold a lot more 4-wheel wagons, probably two on each, and be quite closely spaced if its for low open wagons too.  The shelves would probably be strong enough, and it would be an even better use of the space.

Generally a good basic idea, though, and I suspect it could be easily adopted for other uses too, such as holding paints, tools, or as a project box to keep all the parts of a particular project together.

Hope that helps!

I've used these box files for years. I have about 20 with stock in.

All the boxes have the floor and sides lined with a thin compact grey foam material (it's about 0.3cm thick), it's from B&Q and is used for floor lining, I had a lot left over after flooring the attic.

The only boxes I have that have internal compartments are the loco boxes, the sides of these also have the grey material, I keep the loco's in place with thicker/wider foam (say 1.5cm).
Otherwise my stock lays on it's side, coaches are kept apart with thinner foam plastic (say 0.5cm) between them.
All stock boxes have a foam top piece, the size of the lid, to hold the stock in place.
All my boxes have labels on the outside, one on the end and one on the side - the side with the catch.
All my boxes have a band of coloured insulation tape around them, Red for Loco's, Yellow for Passenger, Green for Goods and Blue for Shunting and Yard stock etc.,
I have been to 50 - 60 exhibitions over the years, and not had any serious problems with this method.
Normally I had around 20 loco's, 25 coaches, 50 NPCS and < 200 goods vehicles at exhibitions.

Three photo's

One is of an OLD loco stock box, no lining round the outside, but it shows the principle - All my new one's are away with a friend at an exhibition.

The Coach box shows the thin grey lining round the outside, on the inside bottom is a 1.5 cm thick foam sheet and one that goes on top of the coaches, somebody seems to have left the 0.5cm thin pads out from between the coaches !!!!
... and finally the labelled, colour coded boxes.

post-6979-0-42357800-1433253648.jpg

post-6979-0-93081400-1433253621.jpg

post-6979-0-96070400-1433253651.jpg

PS - You could buy these box files at a reasonable price from Tesco's - I think it was in sets of three, and they have a special offer on them every so often.

Yes there is a lot of space between the loco's, but I would rather have 5 boxes where I can easily handle the loco's as I lift them in and out, than 4 boxes where everything is close - especially if you have big fingers, or 5 thumbs.

With a stock box for loco's, you could have one of the bays with a soft foam cradle in it, attached at the top of the sides, so that an inverted loco can be held there when your doing repairs / maintenance to a loco's underside when away from home, at an exhibition.  

One of my friends in South Wales has this arrangement in a stock box, it seems to work for him.....  

My cradle for such work is a separate item, conti-board and foam sheet cobbled together.  

Thanks to both Penlan and JDW for replying, as stated before the feedback will be very useful.

JDW: Thanks for the idea of the pan cleaners, I still have a small bit of foam left and was thinking of replacing the 'plastic pasta' and foam board combination with foam itself at the ends of each hole (as shown in the picture by the number five)! I also like your idea for a box version, it would need a lot of foam but would, as you say, probably hold more wagons.

Penlan: Thank you for sharing you ideas, If I do another then I will probably adopt your method of stock on its side. This file was indeed purchased form Tesco's, unfortunately there was no offer on at the time, but I will look out for them on offer for future boxes! I like your idea for the cradle also.

Thanks

Birch1

• RMweb Premium

No worries, you're welcome. 

A question for Penlan, though - I take it you've never had any problems with damage to paint finish or anything by laying your stock on its side?  I've thought about it where it would fit better but usually keep it all upright.  I like your idea of coloured tape to identify the contents quickly.

I usually keep my stock on my layout, or in original boxes, and only use box files for stuff bought unboxed or to transport it to other layouts to avoid damage to original packaging. 

A question for Penlan, though - I take it you've never had any problems with damage to paint finish or anything by laying your stock on its side? 

No damage to paintwork at all, bearing in mind I paint and line all my etched kit, scratch built coaches, locos and wagons.. so they may not have the sort of protective paintwork that RTR stock does.  My coaches also have 5 thou (Microscope) cover-slip glass windows, fragile and will definatly crack / break if the sides are distorted in any way.

The only time there has been any damage was when somebody, not connected with my layout, decided they would carry some boxes out to the van, and then dropped one (box). Not serious damage, buffers, scratched roofs, but annoying.

I don't have any individual boxes for stock, and like you, it's on the layout most of the time (where it can get dusty!!!), but I have exhibited a lot over the years, so mass movement of stock required. 

Finally, I'm not interested in re-sale values, I doubt there's much market for my stock in reality, and if anything is damaged, there's plenty of 'reserve' stock to hand that hasn't had a chance to run yet, like a 7 coach (6 wheeled) local set, and 40 - 50 goods wagons.

Well, as promised here is an update on the box file stock box:

post-22613-0-71197600-1433358671_thumb.jpg

post-22613-0-04353500-1433358819_thumb.jpg

The foam ends have now replaced the previous foam board & 'plastic pasta' combination, it seems more forgiving on the stock, however the couplings still feel vulnerable to me, does anyone have an idea on this? Also, relevant 'this way up' and itentification labels have been added.

You will note that pieces of Plastic Pasta still are holding the wagons in place, that is my next Job. Not too sure how to this so that they do not move sideways but are not damaged also, but I like the idea of having tracks in the storage areas. All of that foamboard spare or some old corrugated cardboard looks promising...

• RMweb Premium

As far as the coulpings are concerned, I have two lines of thought on it - one is that of they're strong enough to withstand the weight of a train pushing/pulling them, they'll probably ok holding the weight of the wagon.  Having said that, I tend to have foam blocks from buffer height upwards, so that the foam is holding the wagon by the buffers, with the tension lock underneath it.  A bit like polystyrene RTR packaging - Lima for example - which just grips the cab ends with a cut out for the tension lock,

Incidentally, another use for a pair of pan cleaners - intact but with about a chunk cut out accoss the middle of the foam, they make a good cheap way of holding a loco upside down for wheel cleaning and such like.  I couldn't help thinking too that taking Penlan's idea a step further, you could create a self-contained maintenance box, with a cradle, space for storing tools, holders for jars, paints, and pockets for other bits and pieces, or a project box to keep all the different parts of a project together and organised (not that that stopped me losing* two strips of glazing from a Hornby 153 a few months back, and having to buy a whole new shell to replace them... :-/ )

*predictably, I found them last week...

As far as the coulpings are concerned, I have two lines of thought on it - one is that of they're strong enough to withstand the weight of a train pushing/pulling them, they'll probably ok holding the weight of the wagon.  Having said that, I tend to have foam blocks from buffer height upwards, so that the foam is holding the wagon by the buffers, with the tension lock underneath it.  A bit like polystyrene RTR packaging - Lima for example - which just grips the cab ends with a cut out for the tension lock,

Incidentally, another use for a pair of pan cleaners - intact but with about a chunk cut out accoss the middle of the foam, they make a good cheap way of holding a loco upside down for wheel cleaning and such like.  I couldn't help thinking too that taking Penlan's idea a step further, you could create a self-contained maintenance box, with a cradle, space for storing tools, holders for jars, paints, and pockets for other bits and pieces, or a project box to keep all the different parts of a project together and organised (not that that stopped me losing* two strips of glazing from a Hornby 153 a few months back, and having to buy a whole new shell to replace them... :-/ )

*predictably, I found them last week...

Thanks, I will try that idea at the weekend. 

On the 153, well at least you now have two complete bodyshells!

Hi again

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I have now added cardboard tracks to the centre of each road, and the foam blocks have now been cut down a little so that they rest on the buffers.

post-22613-0-12311700-1433671111_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry if I seem like a pain, but can anyone help me out again please?

My next stage of the GCSE is to research exisiting products, however I must research 8 and I can only find 3 proprietary items out on the market! Does anyone know of any items for sale or that have been for sale in the past, and can provide a link for current items or the price for older items?

Many thanks!

Birch1

It's  beautiful craftsmanship and most professional but forgive me if I say that it seems to me like an awful lot of work just to hold a handful of wagons where I was thinking how many such boxes would one need to hold say a hundred mixed items of rolling stock ?

But like I say, beautiful craftsmanship.

Cheers.

Allan

My comment on commercial items would be that modellers are a "crafty" bunch, why buy what you can make cheaply - as you have done!

My only comment on the box is that although the catch may be "robust", if the box gets accidentally squeezed, the contents could fall out - very embarrassing! I put an old belt round my boxes as added precaution.

One supplier not in the list above is JBs models, who sells some items on ebay but has a much larger range when he attends shows http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JBs-Model-World(no connection but a satisfied user of both N and 4mm scale boxes)  I believe these items are also available from Wealistic Models, (who also attend shows) but they seem to be offline at present.

Something I've not seen mentioned is the choice of foam for lining stock boxes.  More 'senior' members of this forum may remember the horror of removing a cherished Triang model from it's packaging only to find the yellow foam stuck to the plastic moulding.  I believe this is a problem of 'plasticiser migration'.  Some years ago when researching foam with a view to making my own stock boxes I discovered that there are grades of foam available which are usually described as suitable for camera or camera accessory storage and should not exhibit this problem.  'Ordinary' foam is probably OK for items which will be removed from storage fairly regularly but if you are thinking of putting something aside for a longer period it may be worthwhile investigating just which sort of foam you have.

Tony Comber

Thanks to those who have suggested commercial products and for even more kind comments, they are welcomed and much appreciated

To answer Allan's question, it is a lot of work, but for me worth it to get something that protects valuable stock.

As for the foam, I never knew that. It should be OK for this mini project as wagons are only held for short amounts of time, however for my main GCSE I will certainly look into that.

As for the belt idea, I had better get looking for a belt as that sounds like a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have produced a Stock box as a small feeder project for my main GCSE which starts today. Is there any chance that those on here could reply by giving a bit of feedback for it please (what you think and areas for improvement). Thanks!

attachicon.gifHPIM0488.JPG                                                                                                            attachicon.gifHPIM0490.JPG

The box was produced from a box file, Glue and Fix (Bostik) All Purpose glue, some Foam Board and some foam, below is how I produced the box.

1.attachicon.gifHPIM0479.JPG                                                                                                         attachicon.gifHPIM0480.JPG

The part of the file which holds down the contents of the file was removed.

2.  attachicon.gifHPIM0481.JPG                                                                                                       attachicon.gifHPIM0485.JPG

Measurements were taken for the outside edges of the box file and foam board was then cut accordingly. It was then glued onto the edges of the box file            using the above mentioned glue

3. attachicon.gifHPIM0484.JPG

A selection of my stock was used to mark out the width of each hole for the wagons to fit into.

4. attachicon.gifHPIM0487.JPG

Pieces of foam board were cut and glued to get the arrangement shown

5. attachicon.gifHPIM0489.JPG

The wagons were then held in place with small pieces of foam board and the pieces of foam found in parcel packaging.

6. attachicon.gifHPIM0490.JPG

The foam was cut and then placed into each hole.

And Hey presto!

Thanks to all those who reply!

Birch1

Great project from a person of your 'tender years'. Excellent and don't worry that some have used these for years as you can only learn some little improvements that you can make. Your A level product can now only be superb.....................

I thank you for posting as I have been mulling over how I can store kit built stock that I am accumulating and had not considered using that foam-board. OK I'll be using strong and RTR boxes for kit built loco's and precious kit built coaches, however some contaiers similar to this will be great for holding much of my rolling stock.

Phil

Archived