The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BT Email Scam

Danemouth

For those of you who are customers of BT ...

I've just received an email purporting to come from BT telling me that they are unable to process my latest payment. The email contains a link which you are asked to click and correct things -  when mousing over the link a website with a .ca (Canada) domain is shown.

The email does not look terribly good and Thunderbird did flag it but I thought I would give you all a heads-up to beware!

Dave

p.s I am surprised this got past the BT spam filters as I have a @btinternet.com email address

For those of you who are customers of BT ...

I've just received an email purporting to come from BT telling me that they are unable to process my latest payment. The email contains a link which you are asked to click and correct things -  when mousing over the link a website with a .ca (Canada) domain is shown.

The email does not look terribly good and Thunderbird did flag it but I thought I would give you all a heads-up to beware!

Dave

p.s I am surprised this got past the BT spam filters as I have a @btinternet.com email address

I too am a BTinternet customer, generally their filters are quite reasonable, but the odd one does get through, usually a bank with which I have no connection or occasionally Paypal.

John

And asking you to confirm details that will be used in a scam, ie. Bank Sort Code ,Account number etc.

They also copy parts of a legitimate e-mail to make you think it is genuine.

Never ever give the above information in reply to any e-mail will only be used in fraud !!!!!

End of lesson

• RMweb Gold

Always dead easy to spot these - they're addressed as "Dear Customer" or similar. If BT really had a problem with your payments, it would be addressed to you by name and quote your account number.

Always dead easy to sport these - they're addressed as "Dear Customer" or similar. If BT really had a problem with your payments, it would be addressed to you by name and quote your account number.

Or possibly telephone you as there is no certainty that you receive their genuine email. Or even bothered to read it.

The biggest problem with these spoofing emails is that if you open them in an email client that allows html you have probably already downloaded their trackers/key loggers etc. Some are really sophisticated and do not simply rely on the gullible to actively open attachments. They can now do that without your permission/involvement. Only the really daft or totally ignorant follow links without checking them and then fill in forms on those sites.

But heh, there are a few who seem to think "how wonderful it is to get an email" and it only takes a few to have their bank accounts emptied to make the little effort worth their while.

A similar scam is a Microsoft telephone call, the scammer purports to be a MS techie reporting a problem with their software. He then suggests that he can fix it. You know the rest.

I have had a few calls of that nature from USA, one identified from Minniesota USA. My system pings them back before they get through. David

never click on any link, ever, unless you are sure it is legitimate. treat all internet links as suspicious.

never give any data to anyone who comes asking for it.

two rules I live by. :)

I get them from Talk Talk.

We are unable to process your latest bill, please update your personal information, is the sort of language they use.

I ignore them as the account is in SWMBO's name.

Funnily enough she does not use a Talk Talk email address.

Bernard

A similar scam is a Microsoft telephone call, the scammer purports to be a MS techie reporting a problem with their software. He then suggests that he can fix it. You know the rest.

I have had a few calls of that nature from USA, one identified from Minniesota USA. My system pings them back before they get through. David

My Dad gets those.

He is 91 and has no computer, but they seem to keep phoning.

• RMweb Gold

I had some one from Virgin Media phone me up recently. The foreign accent I am immediately cautious as could be from abroad. They quoted correct info to me with out me volunteering anything. They asked for certain letters of a password which I said am didnt have. (Wouldn't give them to a cold caller anyway). They then confirmed other details so I genuinely believed them.

However the bit that wound me up was after that where they said I was entitled to a free hardware upgrade and it would save me do much on my current monthly charge for x months so that seemed fine but bearing mind I am at work with some one who is on the phone and hard to understand they then mention an engineer needs to come round. Now I am very suspicious as I have always been able to install the router. I go online to Virgins website while they are trying to give me dates that their engineer can come round. They are very insistant on the dates that I am there and do I only work 5 days a week, and if so why won't I be free.

Turns out they are trying to get me to sign up to their Big Kahula bundle which is TV, internet and landline package which I do not want. I tell them that I cannot confirm a date I will be in and I don't want the package but they still insist I do.

I had to get nasty with them before they put the phone down. No pleasantries at all from them.

This I believe was a genuine Virgin Media sales call but it's disgusting behaviour and I will be looking to change as even I nearly got caught by my own service provider s devious Seles tactics.

Imagine if it were some one who wasn't concentrating at the time or not do interested in tech.

Absolutely disgusting and has changed my view of the company. Once I get some spare time so will be onto them

Archived