Delivery by Hermes from eBay (the same problem again)

hayfield

People don't like paying for postage, so paying the lowest possible amount even to the worst courier firm in the land seems like a good plan. I do not like Hermes at all, they are fine for low priority, low value stuff that just needs shifting, but for anything with any kind of importance attached best look elsewhere. 

I think Quarryscapes has hit the nail square on the head... "People don't like paying for postage, so paying the lowest possible amount even to the worst courier firm in the land seems like a good plan". Browsing ebay and suchlike, if I'm just looking for some low value but bulky items, I find myself searching by "Price + P&P lowest first" which includes items listed with free P&P. I don't care if it takes 3 or 4 days or longer to arrive. Higher value stuff... I'd be happy to pay a higher price, such as for 1st class signed for. I was looking for some Peco concrete edging on ebay, knowing that Hattons price was pretty much unbeatable. I found a guy selling it for £1.50 per pack and I thought "bargain" until I read the following: "I won't send by anything other than insured courier". His best price for postage... £12.99 by ParcelForce 48 + £2.00 each additional item. That's some expensive platform edging. I passed.

I still thing good old Royal Mail take some beating and they delivered a DHL packet from Germany last week. The Royal Mails delivery times were still next day last week, and had a delivery of a medium packet yesterday which was sent either Friday or Saturday, if they are dearer its not by much

• 1 month later...

Just sent 2 parcels by Hermes, I dropped them off Monday lunch and both got there Wednesday daytime. Both were fully tracked through the central hub (it is an automated sorter so there is no point on labelling it 'fragile' - you need to pack accordingly!  They were both cheap but heavy items and Parcel Force were much more expensive.

Tony

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some stuff from my favourite track component supplier, and as usual they despatched it within just a few hours.Depending upon what you order it is either sent Royal Mail, UKMail or Hermes. My order was despatched using Hermes.

It was delivered to the nearest Hermes pick up point (or collected from the shop?) late Monday morning and arrived with me on Thursday afternoon. The box was intact and contents un-damaged.

My only criticisms of Hermes has been that they delivered to a neighbouring property (I had it delivered to work and as it's a large industrial estate...) and it wasn't even the next building along, there was no card telling me where to go and look. Also the tracking did not really tell me much and it seemed to go from "not much happening to tick, tick, tick, tick, delivered" all in the space of a few hours.

Whilst speaking to the retailer on another matter he did tell me that they use UKMail if the package has chemicals in it or I specifically request them; I think in future I will order a bottle of glue and liquid flux each time. UKMail.

Hermes? 6.25 out of 10. Not bad, but could be better.

Archived