Delivery by Hermes from eBay (the same problem again)

hayfield

It looks like we have a new My Hermes delivery person as I received this week another item via My Hermes, though is it good value/service for the seller ?

Delivered to Parcel shop Monday 13:45

Picked up by Hermes Tuesday 12:30

Out with local courier Thurs 5:03

Received by recipients local courier Thurs 9:56

Delivered Thurs 10:43

I totally get your point, posting by Royal Mail 1st/2nd Signed For (or not) is quite often just pennies more for the seller, and undoubtedly more reliable. However, I'm not in a position to easily get to a Post Office during opening hours and use Hermes when booking collections quite a lot. I usually advise the buyer to expect delivery within 3-5 days from collection and it is usually 3, sometimes 4 days, rarely 5. If I book a collection for Tuesday (for example), I can quite happily be on the other side of the county and know that my wife will be in for the collection. She's disabled and for that reason, I wouldn't be expecting her to make constant trips to the Post Office on my behalf!

In over 350 Hermes collections, I've had one damaged item received by a buyer which Hermes compensated for without fuss, and one ebay buyer who was purple with rage that I was sending his precious item via "those pikey scumbags". His words. He insisted I posted the item "signed for" over the counter at a Post Office. He threatened me with immediate negative feedback otherwise. Bad move, as I don't respond well to threats, and I'd already booked the Hermes collection. I forwarded his feedback-blackmail message straight to ebay and then pointed out that Hermes was clearly stated as the delivery method in the listing. No amount of polite messages back to him was achieving anything. I do recall that his parting shot was to call me a 6 letter word beginning with "W". Nice. His item turned up 3 days after collection and I heard no more.

The point I'm trying to make, John, is that I agree with you totally that it's far from perfect. However, in my case, I use it through choice for the reason stated above, I certainly don't use it to save a few pence over the cost of Post Office counter services.

Good luck with the latest delivery.

Every system is as strong as the weakest link, certainly in the past my local delivers seemed to have problems. I have no problems with enterprising folk trying to make a few £'s and normally you tend to get a better service from those who own the business. My only issue with some is, are they trustworthy, will my goods be kept secure and do they have all the insurance etc required

I am very lucky in having 2 post offices quite near and receive a first class service from the one I use.  I also do have a very good postie

In theory Hermes use a great system where you can see where your item has got to, but having to get to the collection point by midday to get the parcel into the system is a further weak link.

Pikey scumbags is a bit over the top though our  Norfolk lady is a bit heavy with her tattooed wares  you could land a helicopter on on full display  ,with an old worn out Vauxhall .Fast forward to  the my daughters house , Windlesham area .Hermes arrives in a  fully liveried van and a smart trim  uniformed driver who knows his customers  first name as they know his .A bit of a contrast .Cant think why ...oh yes Windlesham thats it .So if  you want great service .....go Surrey .

My only issue with some is, are they trustworthy, will my goods be kept secure and do they have all the insurance etc required

Unfortunately the same can be said of all postal/courier services (including RM) You get bad eggs in all organisations. I do think that a great many of the problems come down to poor training. Our previous great postie has gone home to eastern Europe and we are suffering yet another replacement. Things are made worse by our next door neighbour having "lost" his "executive" tenants. A pile of old mail that should have been delivered to our house now sits on the doormat of the neighbouring property. All because the "trainee" cannot count - yes he has done it more than once and with each of the properties round the close. We have all lodged complaints and are waiting for an apology from the postmaster general. But that does not get my bills, junk mail and important paperwork out of next door.

I believe the RM has been going downhill in terms of service since well before it was sold off and uses so many temporary and staff with no sense of duty to the customer that it can no longer be trusted.

Our Hermes lady still delivers. Do I care if it takes 2-3 or even days to arrive? No, all I want is it to actually delivered in one piece and to my address, not broken and to some remote collection point or some other happy recipient.

Kenton

I think we all agree that any system is as good as its weakest link, and in your case I think the local manager should be sorting it out for you.

Whilst waiting a few days is not a problem as a buyer, as a seller it is important that my buyers receive their items ASAP and in one piece, the high number of next day thanks from buyers helps oil the buying experience from what are really customers and seems to be appreciated by them.

I have said in the past looking at the tracking information that's available is quite impressive, sadly until you start to read it. For a start unless you reach the collection point before lunchtime you have lost 24 hours. Now the Royal Mail collect several times a day up to 5 pm

Looking at my latest purchase it was collected yesterday from the seller at 9:23, however did not reach the senders local depot till 13:40 today. Now what or where has it been for the past 28 hours ? If Hermes picked it up yesterday at 9:23 why did it not reach the sellers local depot till after lunch today. I thought these companies were supposed to be far more efficient than the are led to believe the Royal Mail's  highly outdated methods of work and infrastructure. Certainly one of the items I sent yesterday arrived today. 

Let's see what happens

Today (day 3 ) it reached the national hub at mid afternoon, needless to say an item posted on Monday Royal Mail 2nd class arrived this morning, in one piece undamaged. I guess by a very nice man wearing a uniform, for I guess about the same price.

Still I am having great fun checking the Hermes website for free

The item arrived late Thursday morning, but very quickly after courier picked it up from the depot. Now it seems they have sorted out the delivery side of our round. The last item I received happened to have had items missing (sellers fault) so looks like I have a fifth parcel coming, the service seems to be getting better but still not as good as the Royal Mail

Just had a survey request from My Hermes, tried to be as honest as I could and linked them to this post, if the recipients of the survey are anything like their customer service and complaints department that will be the last I will hear on this subject. Let's see

if the recipients of the survey are anything like their customer service and complaints department that will be the last I will hear on this subject. Let's see

Can't be any worse than Tesco Views - but that is another whole can of fish food.

I don't know why companies ask for customer feedback and then do nothing when they get it. It is sort of just rubbing salt in the wound.

• RMweb Premium

A lot of the feedback stuff is so they can get accreditation for ISO9002, BS9750 or whatever the pointless Government funded investing in people business award is called this week so they can have a meaningless plaque in reception and another feather to add to their headed notepaper, all meaningless guff to try and improve the company image and detract people away from the fact they are only interested in making money by any means necessary.

Hello John

ISO 900X is not a government funded organisation. It was originally formed 1900/1901 as an engineering standards group and was not government funded).

Investors in people IS owned by the government through the dept skills. The two are totally un-related.

Neither of them has anything to do with these questionnaires and surveys. You can put that in as part of your ISO900X system if you wish, but the whole point of ISO9K is to demonstrate workable procedures, so asking for questionnaire responses that you then do not act on (or at least properly consider) is likely to render you ineligble for ISO9K registration.

Investors in people is primarily aimed at demonstrating proper procedures for development of your work force. Nothing to do with surveys.

EDIT: That makes little sense. I should say that ISO 900X is not an organisation at all, but is based upon a former BSI standard 5750. It is BSI- British Standards Institute- which is the descendant of the organisation started in 1901. ISO- International Standards Organisation- is based upon a system previously from the Czech Republic (though that is often disputed with Germany also being credited with its origin- it is hard to know as much of its records were destroyed late WW2).

Well I am going to have my first taste of Hermes as the ebay seller has decided to use this method. Will see what happens.

I honestly think that what will happen is that it will arrive about 3 working days after sending. Apologies for not getting into the spirit of this thread and expecting it to be lost/damaged/hurled over a garden wall or the contents sold to fund someone's drug habit. Have a little faith...

I honestly think that what will happen is that it will arrive about 3 working days after sending. Apologies for not getting into the spirit of this thread and expecting it to be lost/damaged/hurled over a garden wall or the contents sold to fund someone's drug habit. Have a little faith...

The parcel I expected today delivered by Hermes came via Royal Mail in 2 days (balance of an order delivered by Hermes initially) and I guess for less

I have no problems with people wanting to earn money for themselves, but if you are starting a business then dress and act appropriately. I do not expect new vehicles or uniforms, but do you need to bring the wife, both kids and the dog along for the ride, do shorts and a tatty tee shirt give the correct impression ? and holding on to the goods for a prolonged period and state you have tried to deliver the item when you have clearly not fails to give the customers the impression of an efficient operation.

I think the operation could be very impressive given a few tweaks, and it seems there is a new more efficient delivery agent in my area. Would I use them, perhaps after a few more satisfactory deliveries. But the service I get from my local Post Office coupled with the Royal Mail continuing their currant service levels will take some beating

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had an email last night advising that the 'Collect at Argos' service has been extended to deliveries as well so you can take your parcel to Argos for delivery to another store for collection. Cost are very reasonable and items are tracked with most next day delivery.

However one big problem - our nearest Argos (a large out of town store) is only a couple of miles away but the nearest offering this service is about 15 miles - so very handy if your local store is part of the scheme but otherwise a waste of time and money . . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/spw/argos.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit late coming in to this one, but I wanted to say I've used Hermes a couple of times for delivering items and both times they have been spot on. The first was a couple of years ago, being my usual disorganised self, I had left posting my god son's xmas pressie to the last minute. It's the Thursday the week before xmas, xmas eve is on the Tuesday. Royal Fail want £25 to guarantee delivery before xmas eve (no specific delivery time quoted), I look up on Hermes and they quote 3 working days for a sniff over £5, Saturday delivery is extra. It should get there just in time on normal delivery and as the One Stop over the road from work was a local pickup point for Hermes and the nearest post office was miles away, I decide to give them a try. So when I got a text from my mate to say he had received the package on Saturday, I was well chuffed! London to darkest Shropshire in 2 days and delivered on a non-working day with a bit of xmas spirit from the courier.

Good morning all

I had a packet delivered through my letter box  by Hermes on a Sunday. I was impressed until I looked at the packet. It wasn't for me, or even a close neighbour. It was for a house ten dwellings away. The delivery person had failed to read the "1" at the start of the address.

I admit that the Royal Mail Service is not what it was ten years ago,  but it is still better than any courier firm that I have experience of. 

Earlswood nob

• 3 weeks later...

Archived