RMweb

LMS LNER and now GWR carriage chat.....

Hi Larry, Bernie and all,

Trust the GW to make things so complicated with the 60' and 61' lengths. A few years back, i got a box of spare Collett bodies from Bachmann, thinking they might come in handy one day. I decided to use a few to make other Sunshine coaches using Comet sides, that's when the fun started. To create the correct lengths, i cut the ends off pairs of bodies and swapped the ends between them. By varying the cuts, i could achieve the correct longer 61' length.

Another problem is the roof detail, perfect as originally intended, but details and positions are wrong for other types. We're not just talking vent layout, loo tanks and the rivet pattern can be incorrectly located too. Having to remove some loo tank covers, i decided to rub down or fade out the rivet detail over the whole roof.

Forgive the intrusion, but here are a few pics. From the front, E162 (60'), A22 (60') and the longer C81 (61') at the rear (note different swapped roof ends). Plus a painted D127, next to a shorter E158.

Note also these etches have the etched-on droplights (open and closed) as recently discussed.

Cheers, Brian. (It looks easy, but it's probably less hassle to build the complete Comet kits !)

GWCoaches017.jpg

GWCoaches016.jpg

GWCoaches020.jpg

GWCoaches021.jpg

Having dug out the Williams book last night I think I'm getting worried - I'm contemplating getting one of those Bachmann thingies and....

I need a lie down :huh:

Its bad enough making GWR wagons but first the Hawksworths and now this? Wibble :crazy_mini:

The 1938 series C77(TK), D127(BTK) and E159(BCK) were all the same length - 60' 11.25" over body corners (1.5" less over headstocks), so they should share a common length chassis. The CKs were shorter.

The Bachmann coaches scale out to about 60'6", so are just that shade short for 61' sides. If you pick your diagrams carefully, it is possible to trim some of the 61' sides to fit (don't use ones with doors or windows very close to the ends).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Extrememely useful info to me as I have just ordered a coach and some etched sides to test things out with a vew to building more ex GW coaches for one of my trains.

Oh come on Larry , do then chocolate & cream , you know you want to . :lol:

• RMweb Premium

After the heart surgery I have to avoid chocolate and cream, but blood & custard is fine........:D

Seriously though, with everything in the same blood & custard, I think it will be more interesting to depend visually on the subtle variations of GWR styling compared with LMS styling.

I fully understand , and as with all your work they will look superb . I just wish I could build some

that well . :(

Hi Larry

"Stones vents above the windows, they are my own etch on nickel silver." ....are these available from you on a commercial basis? I've built an LMS P2 Rest/open third D1721 and on some of the photos I have of this coach your grills appear...mine's in B&C livery, just an enquiry. Hope I have not caused offence 'hijacking' your marvellous thread asking the question.

kind regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Looks excellent - you obviously bounced back well from the disaster. Very satisfactory when that happens!

"...using a stiff brush (brush with most of the bristles cut off)." Thanks for that, never thought about that little trick, I've always been buying stiff brushes seperately (OK so I'm dense!).

• RMweb Gold

I bought a Hornby Hawksworth brake composite a few weeks ago and slightly damaged the sides while attempting to remove the glazing. I hope fitting etched brass sides works. As usual I have slotted the Comet doors to take the lowest hinges. Droplights have to be soldered in too. The curvature was caused while forming the ever-so-slight tumblehome.....

To be continued, hopefully....

How do you slot for doing the hinges Larry ? I'm using a .5 drill.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived