GWR brake van kits

Considering the popularity of modelling the GWR, I am surprised at the lack of plastic kits for the brake vans. Other than the Ratio brake van kit, are there any other plastic kits ? Is the Ratio kit an AA20 ?

I was hoping to depict an earlier period so I may have to have a go at a brass kit. The Frogmore range looks interesting. Has anybody built any of these and what is your opinion ?

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.htm#3942return

I am curious as to why that AA3 (#3943) is called a "road van" and not a break van as per the others. Did it have some special purpose ?

I was hoping to depict an earlier period so I may have to have a go at a brass kit. The Frogmore range looks interesting. Has anybody built any of these and what is your opinion ?

Yes, AA13 almost complete AA3 about to start some day soon. They are nice etches and it goes together well. The instructions - average / adequate but not what I'd call first class. The end result is a bit naive though and I'm not convinced about some parts. Like all Toads the biggest problem is the veranda back (nothing to do with the kit) it is very easy to snap off. The chassis is not especially inspiring cast springs on basic rocking W-irons.

I'm guessing the AA3 will be no different in quality. (Ed. just looked again at the instructions for the AA3 - they have tiny little photos :D so that is one better - but no historical prototype notes)

There are earlier era (though Cambrian/Welsh TVR / ex Rhymney A6 etc) kits from Dragon Models. They are much better detailed and make good models with very good instructions.

Then there are the excellent LSWR Toads from Southwark Bridge - superb instructions though a bit verbose - really good kits.

The old Connoisseur still makes a good model - if you can find one unbuilt.

I personally don't think much of the Ratio version - but that is more to do with the plastic moulding than its nearness to any prototype.

Unfortunately, the Ratio is the only plastic kit. And yes, it's AA20-ish, mostly. It can be cut and shut and/or modified to make most other steel-sheeted brake diagrams. Etched kits are Frogmore and Southwark Bridge Models (I think the Connoiseur kit is no longer available in 4mm). ABS does a nice outside framed AA16 in whitemetal. Frogmore's 'road van' is an AA3 variant, with van doors in the sides. A sort of 'goods brake'. I think there were very few of them, and they tended to be confined to certain branches.

The Ratio van is an AA.20 or AA.23 depending on which bit you look at ;). I've tried detailing one up but current feeling is that i'd be better starting from scratch with a kit when I have a chance. I have Bradwell BR standards to keep me happy for now though.

The Bachmann RTR is decent enough although ideally you should replace the handrails.

Connoisseur did the AA.3 as well, one went for ??24.50 on eBay last week!

I imagine the Southwark bridge kit to be superb http://www.sbmodels.org/sbm_4mmkits.html#6 but again its AA.1/3.

Something in the range between 13 and 20 would be nice! Edit: Just seen Miss Prism's response, will have to look at ABS next year for the AA.16.

Guest dilbert

Obviously a 4mm scale question - the Road Van differs from the standard AA3 in that there had side doors built into the main cabin - this was to (un)load bits 'n pieces on a couple of branch lines. ISTR there were only two of these built by the GW.

ABS did (do?) a s/wb Toad to Dia AA16 - these are whitemetal kits.

I find the prototype AA3 Road Vans and the AA16 attractive stock...dilbert

All this talk of "Road Van" has made me pull my etches for the Frogmore AA3 from their box.

There is no mention of "Road Van" on the etch or in the instructions. There is also no sign of the side doors that were on the Road Vans.

I think there may be some confusion somewhere - this is a plain old AA3 Brake with Wood Veranda. (the AA13 has metal sheeted sides)

aa3_fret.jpg

Note the fold up single main body with lots of tiny tiny bits to solder on ;)

Guest dilbert

All this talk of "Road Van" has made me pull my etches for the Frogmore AA3 from their box.

There is no mention of "Road Van" on the etch or in the instructions. There is also no sign of the side doors that were on the Road Vans.

I think there may be some confusion somewhere - this is a plain old AA3 Brake with Wood Veranda. (the AA13 has metal sheeted sides)

Frogmore do both the classic AA3 brake and also the AA3 Road Van in kit form ( the protoypes were built under AA3 lots, to make things simpler)B)...dilbert

This thread has provided a veritable feast of useful information. I was not aware of some of the suppliers listed or of the range of some of the others.

Many thanks to Brian777999 for starting the thread and to all of those who have contributed.

Colin

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All

Just to resurect this old thread, I am in the process of putting together the AA3 steel veranda version and have got to the bit where it says "fix the sanding lever".At the bottom of the destructions there is a picture of sand operating lever for Wood Veranda version ony, does this mean that Steel Veranda versions didn't have this or was it a different version.

Thanks for any help you can offer, what destructions there are, are a bit hit and miss.

SS

Do you have a copy of Atkins et al.? In the current edition, fig 658 shows an AA3 in late thirties livery with sanding lever at the right hand end (looking outwards) of the seat between the sand boxes. It projects well above the rear panel, maybe 15" or so. Fig 657 shows an identical setup on an AA23 and fig 530, though undated, shows an idential arrangement on a wooden veranda AA3.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nick

I have the book and will have shufti, although I am modelling mid 2o's.

Having just fitted the veranda end overlays I find that the right hand side as you look at it projects about 0.5mm past the side, has anyone else had this problem and if so any ideas as to a way forward on how to correct it.

Pub time now while I ponder a way forward.

Just measured it and the rh panel is 0.5 mm larger than the lh,so I hope I can ease it off and chop a bit out.

SS

Edit to add last sentence.

......Connoisseur did the AA.3 as well, one went for ??24.50 on eBay last week!

Connoisseur kit long unavailable since Jim McGeown gave up doing anything for 4mm scale.

I imagine the Southwark bridge kit to be superb http://www.sbmodels.org/sbm_4mmkits.html#6 but again its AA.1/3.

Nothing is available from Southwark Bridge Models now as the proprietor unfortunately passed away in January 2014

Archived