C&M Models/Dapol 'N' Gauge Class 86 in BR Blue

Mike at C&M

I have been speaking with the powers that be at Dapol today to find out a likely date of release for our limited edition model.

The final parts are due to arrive in Chirk in the 2nd week of February, by which time all the rest of the items should be pre-assembled. This applies to all of the Class 86 locomotives that Dapol are doing, although it is not known if the boxed sets will be made available at the same time.

It is therefore intended that the Class 86 will be launched at the Glasgow SEC show on February 26th > 28th.

For those of you who would like a BR Blue example, we are doing 125 each of 86.204 "City of Carlisle" and 86.241 "Glenfiddich". There are still plenty available for advance reservation, so please contact us.

Mike

http://www.candmmodels.co.uk

• 2 years later...

With Andy Y's blessing, I have permission to inform you that we are down to our final few examples of the limited edition model of "City of Carlisle", and stocks of "Glenfiddich" are also getting low.

We do not intend to do any further BR blue 86s, so this is likely to be your last chance to obtain these models.

Mike

C&M Models

Carlisle

• RMweb Premium

With Andy Y's blessing, I have permission to inform you that we are down to our final few examples of the limited edition model of "City of Carlisle", and stocks of "Glenfiddich" are also getting low.

We do not intend to do any further BR blue 86s, so this is likely to be your last chance to obtain these models.

Mike

C&M Models

Carlisle

As a satisfied customer for City of Carlisle I can certainly recommend these. In case anyone's in doubt what date they're accurate to, there's a pic of 86204 on the web that was taken in 1978 and it seems to match that well. Just right for blue/grey mark 1s,2s and 3s and of course WCML freightliners etc.

• 1 year later...

We are down to the last few models of 86.241 "Glenfiddich" in stock, "City of Carlisle" is now sold out.

Amongst our remaining stock are 3 which are non-runners, but the head- and tail-lights work. If we were to return these for repair, they would be scrapped due to lack of available parts.

We have decided to offer these for sale at £30 each. They can be bought at: http://www.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/cmmodels/Dapol-br-blue-class-86-86241-x22glenfiddichx22-non-runner-with-working-lights-7151-p.asp

EDIT: 3 non-runners now sold.

• 2 weeks later...

lovely models. surprised Dapol arent thinking of other liveries atm like executive, electric blue with white roofs, virgin, anglian and additions such as mu jumpers like 86/4s etc.....

with the farish mk2f aircons due it would suit them well to at least have executive 86s to haul them....

I am not surprised at all.

Lovely model though it undoubtedly is the issue is that these and other electrics just don't sell in sufficient quantities.

Dave Jones has said it took ages for the project to eventually "wash it's face" commercially.

In the end to shift the stock many were sold at massive discounts so not a big commercial success and therefore understandable that Dapol appear in no hurry to produce any more (if they ever do).

Regards

Roy

lovely models. surprised Dapol arent thinking of other liveries atm like executive, electric blue with white roofs, virgin, anglian and additions such as mu jumpers like 86/4s etc.....

with the farish mk2f aircons due it would suit them well to at least have executive 86s to haul them....

I think that the MU jumpers are the big issue. This would require a retooling for some of the liveries at least. I don't know whether the original tooling allowed for slides to cover alternative front ends.

However as Roy L S points out, given that the original runs ended up in the bargain bins, I don't see Dapol being in a hurry to produce more. If the aircon Mk2s do start to bump up sales of the Virgin liveried 86s, Dapol might do more, but I suspect they will simply wait and see for the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Have to generally agree but if N and OO extended OLE ranges will help more - a good class 90 would help with VT WCML works as well - 86 has much in common in the model work and DVT exsists ... and a new Dapol 90 might be a better bet. Love to see some more banger blue 86s and perhaps a kit to convert to an 87?

Robert    

HI Robert

Referring specifically to N, based on demand to date I would be very surprised if either manufacturer would have the appetite to take such a risk.

The reality is that from a commercial standpoint there are just too few people modelling 25kv OHLE to make it work.

Investing in newly tooled models just isn't going to happen in my humble opinion when even the most recent "state of the art" ones like the Dapol 86 and Farish Desiro (lovely models though they are) have struggled to sell and had to be heavily discounted.

Regards

Roy

I can't help but think that the right liveries on loco's has a big effect on them saleswise.

The Swallow livery 86 never hung around very long even though there was livery errors with it.

I just wish I'd got Mike's 86's in blue before they sold out, but, an executive one would be a must have too..

I do believe that half the trouble is the lack of quality stablemates for the 86.. I remember rumblings of whatever gets done in one scale will get done in the other from Bachmann/Farish some time back.. so will we see an N scale 85 one day soon?

Does anyone know where I can get the MW jumpers for the 86 from?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

I think you are right in saying certain liveries are more popular and sell more quickly.

It seems pretty clear that anything from the steam/diesel transition era sell very quickly, witness the Farish 101/108 and Dapol 121/122 green liveried DMU models being nigh on impossible to find new, yet the BR blue and blue-grey ones can readily be sourced.

This may support the thought that possibly an early (60s) electric blue 85 may be popular but I'm not so sure as far as the other liveries it may have carried later are concerned (witness the discounting of similar liveried Bachmann 00 ones as previously mentioned).

As already mentioned the C&M 86s in blue were available for quite a long time notwithstanding the relatively small batches of each, and if they took that long to shift, sadly it only seems to support the general view that there is no large market for electrics in any scale, and I would fear that release of (say) a brand new all singing and dancing 90 would suffer similarly sluggish sales.

Regards

Roy

TPM do a set of jumper cables for the 86s and 87s (part 1206) but I am not sure if Bernie has resumed trading after his house move yet. Also I am not sure from the description if the if these are the early MU cables of the later TDM cables.

For those of you who still want a BR Blue 86, we still have 8 models of 'Glenfiddich' left in stock, 'City of Carlisle' is sold out.

If you do wish to buy one, please note that I am away from the shop on Saturday - some shin-dig going on in North Yorkshire.

Archived