The road vehicles picture thread

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

In a similar vein to the scratchbuilt building thread, post piccies of your road vehicles here. Its not a competition, we are not judging the models its just a place for to collect images of models. All welcome!

I will start with a few of mine, Nothing New I am afraid.

merc%20van%20done.jpg

Merc Van converted from a 20p corgi toy bus.

tired%20transits%20.jpg

A couple of modified Corgie Transits.

Cheers

Jim

Here are a few of my b uses, kit-built or conversions.

This one is a Corgi OOC BET single decker converted with resin front and Alexander windscreen to the London Country Green Line RP class AEC Reliance with Park Royal body. It's not totally accurate but captures the look.

GreenLineRP-800.jpg

One of my favourites: a Burllingham Seagull bodied AEC Reliance modified from a Model Bus Company (ex-Anbrico) white metal kit, painted in Premier Travel of Cambridge livery.

PremierTravelAECBurlinghamSeagull5-.jpg

A BR Ford Transit crew bus from the John Day white metal kit.

Middlehurst22-01-0902.jpg

Another of my favourites (yes, I am allowed to have more than one!!); a ? BEA AEC Regal IV with Park Royal body (coded 4RF4 by London Transport, who maintained the vehicles), built from an original GS Models white metal kit. I have one more of these to build, this time an RTC Models kit.

BEA4RF4cropped-800.jpg

That's enough showing off on my part ... for now!!! ?  :D

Hi All

In a similar vein to the scratchbuilt building thread, post piccies of your road vehicles here. Its not a competition, we are not judging the models its just a place for to collect images of models. All welcome!

I will start with a few of mine, Nothing New I am afraid.

merc%20van%20done.jpg

Merc Van converted from a 20p corgi toy bus.

tired%20transits%20.jpg

A couple of modified Corgie Transits.

Cheers

Jim

Nice one Jim.... that second shot with the Trannies looks like the opening shot of about half a dozen Sweeney episodes circa 1975... wink.gif

"Get yer trousers on, you're nicked"

Nidge

Some great inspiration on this thread- really must get on with a few of my road vehicle projects

Here's one I made earlier (including making the parts for the kit!):

CK4Victor.jpg

1967 Vauxhall Victor 2000

Bernard, I do like that Victor- surprised no-one's picked up the significance of that registration number though...wink.gif

Some great inspiration on this thread- really must get on with a few of my road vehicle projects

Bernard, I do like that Victor- surprised no-one's picked up the significance of that registration number though...wink.gif

It's Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) isn't it?

Steve

Here are a few of mine, more to follow:

FG Scaffold Lorry

post-7400-12625154287461_thumb.jpg

Bristol Bus, weathered and inside detailled

post-7400-12625154835744_thumb.jpg

post-7400-12625155200272_thumb.jpg

Bit Blurred but from left to Right, BR Crew Bus (which needs a Leyland cab), Scammell Routeman Cement tanker, Ford D series Coal Lorry (Both langley cab on EFE chassis), and the FG again

post-7400-12625156606099_thumb.jpg

Land Rover Trialler

post-7400-12625157251382_thumb.jpg

Transit tipper (corgi front cab, everything else is scratchbuilt)

post-7400-12625158092076_thumb.jpg

There are a couple shown in my blog (date problem permitting), but here's a shot for this thread. A BRS AEC Mammoth Major from the early '60s.

brs1.jpg

Cab, wheels and transfers from Road Transport Images. Body and chassis from scratch.

Adam

Yes - I sometimes watch it on video just to see that gorgeous FD sweeping along country lanes rolleyes.gif

Off Topic I know, but there was an FD on show at the recent NEC Classics do wearing the reg number of the Randall & Hopkirk car, with a few screen shots from the series in the background. A very nice looking motor in the flesh, hadn't seen one for ages.

I had the soundtrack cd on in the car this morning too!

Nidge wink.gif

4259205982_ec20695358.jpg

Modified EFE Alexander/Leyland bus, and modified Minic Sunbeam Alpine (almost complete). Bus driver is not impressed by Mr Cross' parking and is out looking for him... Well, it explains the lack of drivers and the open bus door!

(Image hosted on Flickr)

I've been a bit slack when it comes to road vehicles - just the one so far! What self-respecting layout would be without a clich?© bus on the bridge? This one was mine, a Wilts and Dorset Olympian - an EFE model.

I masked the windows with Maskol before giving it a coat of matt varnish, a gentle spray of white to fade it slightly, fading the roof slightly more than the rest of it and sealing all that with another coat of matt varnish. The rest of the weathering is washes and powders.

post-6668-12630630081797_thumb.jpg

post-6668-1263063012257_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been a bit slack when it comes to road vehicles - just the one so far! What self-respecting layout would be without a clich???? bus on the bridge? This one was mine, a Wilts and Dorset Olympian - an EFE model.

I masked the windows with Maskol before giving it a coat of matt varnish, a gentle spray of white to fade it slightly, fading the roof slightly more than the rest of it and sealing all that with another coat of matt varnish. The rest of the weathering is washes and powders.

Did you spray the white mixed with the varnish or over the top of the varnish it looks good

Yours

Gary

This is the Universal Hobbies 1926 Austin Tractor, a snip at five quid or so direct from China on ebay. Terribly shiny as new but looks way better with a bit of dulling and rust on wheel treads.

Universal also do a Grey Fergie, a 60s/70s Massey Ferguson and a more modern John Deere as a key ring. Chop off the ring, highlight some of the detail and dull down the deep gloss paint and thy're as good as anything else available.

Guest stuartp

Some lovely models on here !

Nothing to do with railways but it's been on here before and it's probably the best of mine. AEC Mammoth Major refueller, or 'Truck, Fuel Servicing, Aircraft' to give it its Sunday name. It's an EFE diecast with a scratchbuilt body and etched grills from BernardTPM of this parish. The wing mirrors were a complete pain, I don't know what EFE put in their mazak but it eats 0.3mm drill bits. I have a cunning plan for its stablemate (if I ever get round to it) involving a 1mm drill and superglue gel.

I really need to get on with some vehicle for the layout !

aec3.jpg

Some lovely models on here !

Nothing to do with railways but it's been on here before and it's probably the best of mine. AEC Mammoth Major refueller, or 'Truck, Fuel Servicing, Aircraft' to give it its Sunday name. It's an EFE diecast with a scratchbuilt body and etched grills from BernardTPM of this parish. The wing mirrors were a complete pain, I don't know what EFE put in their mazak but it eats 0.3mm drill bits. I have a cunning plan for its stablemate (if I ever get round to it) involving a 1mm drill and superglue gel.

I really need to get on with some vehicle for the layout !

aec3.jpg

Nice model that, I'd often admired it on your avatar. I can sympathise with your comments on the metal EFE use, I've ended up with two screen pillars on mine which are more filler than metal after breaking umpteen drill bits on them! I didn't have as much bother with a 3mm drill opening out the step recesses.

One of these lives in demobbed retirement at an airfield near me, keeping company with a Bedford of similar vintage. An ex RAF MT man once told me these lasted as long as they did (last ones going in 1997 I think it was) because the replacement Leyland's cabs were too high to fit in a Hercules.

Archived