W&L layout in 0/16.5

kirtleypete

Wow! Despite the trains being somewhat 'hemmed in' by the townscape, this model gives a real sense of a railway 'going somewhere'.. absolutely brilliant, thank you for sharing it with us.

(I have always loved the W&L, despite only having travelled on it once... the café at Llanfair station has always served as a fantastic service station on long drives to North Wales!)

Edited by Will J

• RMweb Premium

Strewth!  I never imagined the layout would feature the mainline station as well, it must be vast!

Fabulous work Peter, will we be allowed to see a plan of the layout?

All the best,

Dave.

It fills a double garage, the main line goes corner to corner. I'll see if I can do a plan in August, but I'll need to clear it with the owner first.

Peter

Thanks Peter, that would be great. Feel free to let the owner know that there are a lot of people envious of his railway!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 year later...

A good layout is never finished!

I'm going back tomorrow to do a little more work on Welshpool and to take a lot more photgraphs. Next to the church was the vicarage, which was demolished long ago and we had no pictures. The model I built was based on a house nearby; we knew it was wrong. Finally a picture turned up so I've built a new model which will be installed tomorrow...it's been built smaller than scale to give the impression of depth. By sheer good luck the picture showed the side that faced the railway.

33453498742_0ccf9553bb_c.jpg

The model had to be a maximum of 40mm deep so it's been interesting. I'll post some pictures of it in position tomorrow when I get home.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Terrific stuff Peter, the new Vicarage looks very good.  Is the Town Section finished now?

I always fancied doing Welshpool myself, or something based on it; but I'm really pleased you've made a proper job of it.

All the best,

Dave.

The whole layout is finished now Dave, apart from a bit of tweaking here and there. A few pictures of the other bits.....

33498151491_eb136b2b31_c.jpg

It probably ought to be raining, but we're still working on that!

33470848222_790938dfe6_c.jpg

33498152301_e917c49ca4_c.jpg

33498151851_551138e207_c.jpg

My customer has written an article on the layout for the 7mm NG Association magazine 'Narrow Lines' which should appear before long.

Peter

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Wow, great photos Andy.

Is that a Milk Vending Machine, the contraption on the pavement by the crossing?

Cheers, Dave.

That's what it is - and to me it looks as if it's just landed from space to proclaim a new age in which narrow gauge railways have no place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ron Fisher (who took the level crossing shot) has a whole album of W&L shots - many from the earliest days of preservation https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/albums/72157627005379551

And here is my contribution from that era

15729749803_92ba024c6c_z.jpgMe at Llanfair Caereinion 1961 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

That was taken on the return journey from a holiday in Barmouth in July 1961. The Earl had only recently arrived from Oswestry. I have a vague recollection that on that day I saw a train passing through the town section, but I cannot be certain that it is not a false memory concocted from later knowledge. There is nobody else still living who can remember that day, but i am told it is possible there could have been some stock movements around that time. I don't think it's possible to tell from the photo whether The Earl is in steam.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 6

Superb picture Andy - thanks for sharing it.

It's a lot more depressing standing in the same spot today - it's unrecognisable.

Peter

Agreed, drive through Welshpool regularly on my way to and from Tywyn and it's hard to think that the railway ever ran through the town.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 months later...

I've been back for another visit today, to do a few additions to the scenery.

34991896542_c41887dd53_c.jpg

There is now a girder bridge where the W&L crosses the main line...before it was a wooden beading.

34991898652_08afe9d07e_c.jpg

This tree stands in the corner of the room to disguise it, which it does quite effectively. I don't make the trees, I just plant them!

34991899762_a220a26c1e_c.jpg

There is another new tree by the Seven Stars halt.

34991897712_1a0875e9c1_c.jpg

34346972913_42d3e5532f_c.jpg

34346972293_2dd963057e_c.jpg

We discovered that a footpath crossed the W&L as it ran between the buildings in Welshpool, so I've added it to the scene.

34346973533_a6d5b24807_c.jpg

34991904332_4ca1056d29_c.jpg

35026065401_8d443dfd75_c.jpg

35157079905_305f2e1dd4_c.jpg

Beyond Church Street I've a bit more, adding a parapet to the bridge over the stream, adding some flowers in the Rectory garden and so forth. I will be going back to add some smaller trees around the stream area.

35157080825_5eaee8ef88_c.jpg

35157081845_2535777869_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

Narrow Lines #226 has landed, complete with article on this Welshpool layout. Very interesting article, complete with some more photos which show the overall size / space of the layout.

The only (very minor) niggle being that the plan doesn't appear to show all the standard gauge. But that doesn't detract from a good article on a cracking layout which makes me green with envy!

Thanks,

Andrew