• RMweb Gold

“The Organist Entertains”

Even before I knew what an oxymoron is, I knew that this was one.

That depends if he is doing it with his organ or something else.

TOO much information...  :O

That’s ok: it’s on the radio, so no pictures - except in your own mind, of course... ;)

"Whoops I've done it again !" cried the Sinister Indexer turning in anguish to O'D, only to realise the E4 was departing light engine with O'Doolite looking back brandishing the Spanish tooled leather portmanteau containing The Index in triumph!t

sorry about this... I've only just sipped a cup of tea..honest

Edited by runs as required

• RMweb Premium
  • Whimsy is highly prized on CA - clearly one of the principle reasons for parishioners (led by Kevin!) posting.

Art history (in Mackem Sunderland at any rate)  acknowledges the brief delight in whimsy in British wartime and postwar art - the St Ives school; the Fry Art gallery artists in Saffron Walden; John Piper and Betjeman; for us Ahrons. It passed in the 1950s. Macho New York was dominating High Art -  Abstract Expressionism was lining boardroom walls: de Kooning, David Smith, Rothko, Jackson Pollock.

• In Britain's present state perhaps whimsy is back ! A key defence mechanism against Black Dogs on the A66

Maybe I'm simply too serious minded but I would want to stress that the whimsy in CA is founded on a bedrock of a thorough understanding (or at least a desire for a thorough understanding) of the Edwardian context in which it is being displayed - the geological, cultural, socio-economic, and engineering context. (I think E's choice of university subject is getting to me - he's convincing me that geography is at once king of the sciences and the humanities.)

I fear our current political situation amply demonstrates the danger of the excessive application of whimsy, although I can see it works as a defence mechanism - like St Anthony's retreat into the desert.

• Like 3

“The Organist Entertains”

Even before I knew what an oxymoron is, I knew that this was one.

A bit unkind as a general statement, although I know many would agree with you, based on radio recitals from the "Mighty Wurlitzer".

I know a cathedral organist who has the most profound knowledge of his subject and at recitals gives a potted history of the composer, and why and when his chosen offering was composed. all delivered in English-English, but without "talking down" to his audience, followed by the piece itself.

He can make a large church organ almost speak, and to watch his manipulation of all the organ stops, multiple keyboards, and foot operated pedals is a great pleasure, and source of admiration, to me (grade 2 piano failed!).

He played at my daughter's wedding, and received a standing ovation after the Bride and Groom had left the church having played on for about 10 minutes. He said that he did so for his own pleasure and "just to see what the organ could do", not having played that particular one previously.

No oxymoron when he plays 

Edited by DonB
  • Like 5

Maybe I'm simply too serious minded ...I think E's choice of university subject is getting to me - he's convincing me that geography is at once king of the sciences and the humanities.

Mmm.... I wish I could be that certtain after a working lifetime with one leg in geography.

What about Theoretical Physics ? I'm quite taken with the emergence of the dark universe over the past week.

Edited by runs as required

Odd that Mr O’Doolite should receive a random mention. His spirit accompanied me on our recent holiday, and was delighted to find the below in a book sale in an obscure small town. Another stall, incidentally, had a really good selection of old railway books, but France is now a b****y expensive country, so I had to be content with attempting to commit their contents to memory.

And, Reginald Dixon. ‘Nuff said.

post-26817-0-02882700-1536083996_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-66307600-1536084205_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Almost as bad as the Maurice Chevalier look-alike we had during the Summer.....

And I'm sure everyone is thankful that its too early for Castle Aching to have a Kinematographic Hall!

(Or at least have to carry advertising posters for the one that will no doubt spring up in Atchingham...)

TBH, I was looking at it as a bit of a challenge. If you had a large pair of drivers, 6’ plus, then suspended a brass block underneath the axle, so the centre of gravity was below the axle, then small motor over the top with a light superstructure, then a bit of balancing to get the trim just so.... how would it proceed? would the torque upset it to make it seesaw?? would it neded to be anchored to a vehicle to steady it rather than run light??? I’m too busy to try it myself, any takers??

Like this, probably... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtfBRA8xCGE

Things are going from bad to worse on the domestic front, and, I confess, it is hard to keep cheerful.

On the bright side - literally - today we regained windows, after just two weeks of gloomy and stuffy bedrooms.

By way of a bonus, I bagged the ply.

post-25673-0-57076300-1536085890_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-19410500-1536085967_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well now some interesting posts their. Obviously life has change somewhat over the years. Definitely the time spent dealing with children has increased when I were a lad we walked to school unaccoumpanied, and as for being ferried about of an evening .... feet, bike or bus and going out of an evening was less common. Perhaps a visit to the local church youth club or cubs/scouts. TV was different too. We had TV from when I was born but it was not in the day to dayliving room but kept in the front room we would go in there escpecially to see a program, not have the TV on all the time. It does eat time. Also at the risk of sounding sexist women were expected too and did most of the domestic tasks, Dad would probably do the gardening and a few jobs around the place but if he elected not to disappear down the pub time could be found to pursue a hobby. Another major factor is that the majority tended to live rather closer to work than we do today usually within the same town  or area. True there was a goodly number who commuted by train but usually shorter than today on the whole and often you lived near a station. 

Now I am a great fan of Buckingham and admire Peter Denny's work but if look at it objectively would not such a place as the final buckingham have attracted other railways.  A line through it towards Birmingham etc. would have been more logical indeed might not the London and Birmingham railway have chosen a route which passed through Buckingham. Alternatively had the early railways passed it by would it have grown to become a city. I doubt it.  As far as Castle Aching is concerned I  do not think the economic factors are then to provide the growth to a larger place.

As for our host. Track building may not be his cup of tea but buildings whether small cottages, castles or that emerging drill hall now there's artistry and skill in abundance combined I believe with a fine appreciation of the originals.

Don 

• Like 3

Things are going from bad to worse on the domestic front, and, I confess, it is hard to keep cheerful.

On the bright side - literally - today we regained windows, after just two weeks of gloomy and stuffy bedrooms.

By way of a bonus, I bagged the ply.

I do hope you can 'come right', as it were, not knowing the details of your difficulties.

I have just discovered to my embarrassment and dismay that I didn't pay the required full price for a Stirling Single, even though I paid by the web form, 'full price' ....  Apparently it was only 'full' if you had already paid a deposit. What a fool am I .

This is nothing compared to housing issues of course.  The full price renders the purchase with NZ import charges nearly £300 so I have asked for a refund of my pitiful £179 offering.

Who would want to buy an Edwardian model anyway, eh what?

Due apologies are being dispensed as I write to all and sundry.    Magnificent building, Edwardian.  They needed people like you with the broader view of life back in the C12th..   

A serious post this  - theory of railway modelling - a new category in our exponentially growing Index!

It raises certain areas for debate (on a new "Betjeman Studies" course at Buckingham Private University?)

• Do you really need to finish CA? It seems highly successful - just as the "the play wot I wrote" was the core spark to Morecambe & Wise. Gothic cathedrals were never intended to "be finished" - it implied God was dead, the best were  successive overlays of visions. Muslim art (a carpet for example) should include an imperfection to acknowledge human fallibility.

• Whimsy is highly prized on CA - clearly one of the principle reasons for parishioners (led by Kevin!) posting.

Art history (in Mackem Sunderland at any rate)  acknowledges the brief delight in whimsy in British wartime and postwar art - the St Ives school; the Fry Art gallery artists in Saffron Walden; John Piper and Betjeman; for us Ahrons. It passed in the 1950s. Macho New York was dominating High Art -  Abstract Expressionism was lining boardroom walls: de Kooning, David Smith, Rothko, Jackson Pollock.

• In Britain's present state perhaps whimsy is back ! A key defence mechanism against Black Dogs on the A66

dh

Do you really need to finish CA? Yes. The core scene - the present 4 boards - to be a working model railway, scenically developed to a reasonable extent, served by a functioning cassette yard and with enough stock to give a reasonable impression.  I get depressed when I despair of finishing it, one day!

After that, further detailing and stock building will be an option, and have no natural end!  There is no natural end to extensions, either, depending upon the available accommodation. Even in the present space, there is room to extend, with the layout coming back on itself, with Achingham and the Rest-of-the-World cassette yard ending up opposite CA station.

While the journey need never end, I would like to gain the first destination!

Whimsy is highly prized on CA - I thank Compound for his kind words on this subject: I don't see why a layout based upon a freelance company should not strive for verisimilitude.  That said, layouts that balance such an attempt at prototypicality with a subtle whimsicality are the layouts that make me smile.  See also Gainford Spa.

Whimsy is back?  Well, my state of mind runs along a knife-edge at the moment.  I'll take anything cheerful on offer!

Don't forget that Craigshire was, physically, very small - being housed in PD's bedroom. Definitely a quart (or two) in a pint pot.

I may not have mentioned this, but one of the factors that fuelled the comparison with CA's plan is that the length of Craig in the 1957 plan - the width of P D Hancock's railway room - is given as 10 feet.  This is exactly the length of CA. 

CA is also set across the width of the room.  The door to the room is in approximately the same position in relation to the layout as Hancock's; one difference is that I have deliberately allowed for a few inches overlap of the entrance, allowing a view down the line from the stop blocks in due course.

Further, Craig was set in a room 13' long.  My space is 16', so I have a yard extra length when it comes to going round the room (eventually!), which is a significant advantage. It means that, in the approximate position of Glenmuir, I can have the fiddle yard.  In front of it, I can have Achingham.

Just think of what could be achieved if you didn't slump in front of the telly all evening, or poke and prod at keyboard or screen. Radio listening doesn't count, as things can be done whilst The Organist Entertains* in the background.

Even it it turns out that the particular hobby in question results in a "scale model" of Flying Scotsman from matchsticks...

* Or other wireless programme of your choice.

Well, while working on the Drill Hall over the weekend, I was listening to a radio adaptation of the Divine Comedy, with Andrew Warner as Virgil. Unfortunately, it kept reminding me of his roles as Whackwallop in Bleak Expectations

I treasure The Organist Entertains.  I think when I was growing up, the genre of Wurlitzer organ music was one of those things that seemed naff beyond belief.  The Wrong Trousers placed it in the category of things that are so uncool that they become strangely cool.  The Organist Entertains is not a programme I have sought out, but on the odd occasion I have heard it, it has fascinated me.  For me it enters the pantheon of treasures along with red telephone boxes and spinsters cycling to matins in the mist. I want to live in a country that has a public service broadcasting ethos that can encompass the audience of The Organist Entertains. Thus, the very existence of the programme is life-affirming!

My wife ( a psychotherapist ) spends all her 'spare' time reading novels, mainly I notice by female wriers - she originally taught English lit.

Having just accused me of slipping away to w##k on that bl##dy computer again, she did offer: "And what about Dorothy Sayers ? Lord Peter Wimsey was her 1940s hero"

dh

I understood that Dorothy L Sayers came to depend upon Whimsey as a fictional companion who made up for her atrocious husband.  I am sure your wife reads the books for entirely different reasons!

By a neat segue, Dorothy L Sayers produced a very fine and readable translation of Dante's Divine Comedy for Penguin.

post-25673-0-75772300-1536137665_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I was thinking of The Wrong Trousers when I introduced TOE.  Never trust a Penguin!

And, of course, the Wimsey domains extend over the bleak and forbidding fens next door to Norfolk and Castle Aching, thus bringing us back in a whimsical circle.

Speaking of whimsey, do you think that in the present age of doom and disaster, drill music would be "performed" at the Drill Hall?

Arghhhhhh.....    :senile: 

• Like 3