And very nice it was too.

A stand out layout of some quality, I particularly liked the single wheeled driver tank engine.

I thought I had taken a picture, but sadly not.

Couple of photos I took at the Tonbridge exhibition back in February - not brilliant but you get the idea.

post-29439-0-85007000-1535878727_thumb.jpg

post-29439-0-74228000-1535878744_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I have a Black Shuck planned for the KLR, now you mention it. I intend for the name to be used on a 5MT.

Oh God, not the insanity that is the monobike...

I thought it might be a good (if unofficial) name for a GER Y14/LNER J15 working the graveyard shift....

As for the motor unicycle, its better than monocycles, which are prone to "gerbilling"......

• RMweb Premium

Can’t find the link, this is a sketch of a loco proposed in the French Loco Revue some time back, I gather an artist had messed up in an early engraving on the wheel detail. You’d probably have to couple it up nice and tight as the cabby explained to Mr. Pickwick.

post-26540-0-74054600-1535908098_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

George Wyllie produced a number of railway sculptures.  Falkirks uniwheeler wasn't the only one he devised!

Probably his best known was the Straw Locomotive

which hung from the Finnieston Crane for the duration of the Glasgow Garden festival in 1988, directly across the river.  The symbolism in this was that the crane was built for loading locos built by the North British Locomotive Company, NBL, (not to be confused with the North British Railway) onto ships for export.  At the end of the Festival the Straw Locomotive was taken up to Springburn and ceremonially cremated.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

TBH, I was looking at it as a bit of a challenge. If you had a large pair of drivers, 6’ plus, then suspended a brass block underneath the axle, so the centre of gravity was below the axle, then small motor over the top with a light superstructure, then a bit of balancing to get the trim just so.... how would it proceed? would the torque upset it to make it seesaw?? would it neded to be anchored to a vehicle to steady it rather than run light??? I’m too busy to try it myself, any takers??

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Northroader

I imagine that with the careful use of gyroscopes it might be possible to achieve something. And, if the valve gear and drive was arranged thoughtfully, it could pirouette, which would save on turntables.

Kevin

Tricky. It's clearly a well tank, so the centre of mass would change as the water was used up.

Compound

A float, attached to a series of actuating rods, arranged to alter the position and of the gyroscope, so as to compensate for the water loss, would that work?

Incidentally, there were patents taken out for some exceedingly bizarre internal-combustion engined tramway locos, in the 1870s, which got pretty close to being 0-2-0 under some conditions. They were 2-2-2, but arranged so that the proportion of weight on the driven axle could be varied from 0 to 100%. This was intended to give a clutch-type action, progressively loading the engine, then transition to all weight available for adhesion. I don’t think any were ever built, but the concepts involved seem to have been progressed into the ‘maximum traction truck’ used under some electric trams. Reversing involved rotating the entire engine and driven axle within the frame created by the four carrying wheels.

I honestly didn’t make this up, it was a serious proposal by serious people at a date when internal combustion powered vehicles were in their earliest infancy.

Kevin

I'm still wondering about that motorbike.

Do Segways (sp?) work gyroscopically?  Swarms of cruise ship passengers take to them on guided tours around Valletta, Malta (European city of culture 2018) - a menace to elderly Maltese inhabitants. Glad they seem to be banned in Britain.

The more important reason for posting {note the 'improved' M&GN engine green)

Great to see you posting again James - and with an inspired fragment of the architectural 'tower de force' at the foreground of your CA composition!

dh

I've always wanted to build a working 7mm scale Brennan monorail...

Segways do use gyros, but they're electronic solid state ones rather than the hefty metal spinny disc type. I suspect their lack of use in Britain may be down to our prevailing weather conditions compared to Valletta.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can’t find the link, this is a sketch of a loco proposed in the French Loco Revue some time back, I gather an artist had messed up in an early engraving on the wheel detail. You’d probably have to couple it up nice and tight as the cabby explained to Mr. Pickwick.

attachicon.gif46F8FBE8-15CA-4E6F-828D-BE7C3E3D5DF6.jpeg

Isn't that Mr Emett's "Hero" without its tender?

​Edit: Hero not Nellie.

Edited by St Enodoc

Most Impressed by St Enedoc's powers of recall !

post-21705-0-57874600-1535975485_thumb.jpg

sketch posted by Northroader

Edit: I thought it would be more interesting if I posted the 2015 0-2-0T and Rowland Emmett's 1940/50s   0-2-0  side by side.

If you can get to Compton Verney near Leamigton & Banbury by 30 September 2018  you can see Emmett's exquisite  Crab & Winkle  Far Tottering & Oystercreek Rly animated clock strike the quarters and the hours.

It was originally commissioned as the centrepiece for Basildon New Town's market square, after the success of his 'Nellie' train at the 1951 Festival of Britain Battersea Funfair. But it was rejected by the Essex TOWnIEs as taking the p### out of the Essex marshlands and languished forgotten in a Stratford  (possibly ex GER?) warehouse until discovered in clearance for the London Olympics and restored.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If it is not too late to revert to single wheelers without carrying wheels, these days I often seem to see children sailing past on two wheeled devices which they seem to be able to keep stable - at least I have never seen anyone fall off. I assume that there is some natty software somewhere and possibly a gyroscope. Could the same technique be used for a single wheeler (ie 2-wheeled) locomotive? In which case there would be no problem with that sketched above.

Glad to see that Edwardian has been able to return to the modelling bench. The latest structure is looking very, very good. Awesome as my friend Hanne would say.

Have been away for a week though, and then two days on the HMRS stand at Telford, so seriously behind with the thread. I don't think I shell even attempt to catch up as it would take all the next week and then I should still be a week behind.

Jonathan

• Like 2