If we are talking about Sharp Stewarts, how about

[attachment=1048288:mswjr_17_small1.jpg

Built 1897, and fairly unsuccessfull too much weight on the bogies

Ah, but such handsome engines... I started scratchbuilding one years ago... but abandoned the project when I realised the drawing (by Hutchinson I think) was hopelessly inaccurate. This was years before Mike Barnsley's books were published. Maybe one day...

• Like 2

Vast amounts of flint went from the South Coast to the potteries, by rail, in 'boulder' (big pebble) form. It was also ground at a few places on the south coast to make abrasive powder. Important sources were Rye Harbour, Birling Gap, and Newhaven East Beach, where 'blue boulders', barely-liftable pebbles with a bluish-grey exterior and a jet-black, glassy, interior, are found.

The super-value of the flint at Thetford, which made if worth digging-up, when other flint could be had simply by going for a walk on the beach, was apparently that it flaked beautifully. It was a 'high value, low volume' business, hence my suggestion of lighter-flints.

There's a little village near where I live called Filgrave, which would make another macabre station name.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

i've been to Grimes Graves, another with a grave name, a real pock marked site on the landscape it was and all! We were lucky and managed to go down the ladders into one flint mine bottom, i don't think i could even walk across to reach it from the car park nowadays.  :jester:

i've been to Grimes Graves, another with a grave name, a real pock marked site on the landscape it was and all! We were lucky and managed to go down the ladders into one flint mine bottom, i don't think i could even walk across to reach it from the car park nowadays. :jester:

I live about half an hour from Grimes Graves. Been there several times. Even did what you just described as a kid. It's... not as awe-inspiring on repeat viewings. Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

All this "Undiscovered Norfolk" malarky make me think that the folds on the map must extend to the depths of the Challenger Deep, which I prefer to imagine as being named after Conan Doyle's "Professor Challenger", rather than HMS Challenger, which first plumbed its depths in the early 1870s....

• Like 2

All this "Undiscovered Norfolk" malarky make me think that the folds on the map must extend to the depths of the Challenger Deep, which I prefer to imagine as being named after Conan Doyle's "Professor Challenger", rather than HMS Challenger, which first plumbed its depths in the early 1870s....

I always thought that Mariana Trench would make a great name for a literary heroine.  Perhaps Miss Trench, daughter of Colonel and Mrs Trench of Mildew Lodge, Little Aching, in the county of Norfolk, and named, I gather, after the popular Tennyson poem, is a denizen of West Norfolk, at least outside the Season (she came out a year or so ago if I recall). She possesses the quick wit and vivacity of her mother, Hermoine, with cool intelligence and certain of the more Mars-like characteristics of her father, who, to this day remains ignorant of many of his daughter's more interesting traits.

post-25673-0-92671700-1536325813_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-40326300-1536325826_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I can empathise with her problem.....

post-21933-0-47767900-1536326362.jpg

These ruddy earbuds won't stay IN.......

Mariana Trench is certainly a good literary name.  I've always found that roadsigns are a great source of inspiration, though the more eyecatching ones verge on the Bulwer-Lytton or even the excitable bodice-ripping texts given away free by Amazon for the Kindle....

• Like 2

I can empathise with her problem.....

attachicon.gifearbud problems again.jpg

These ruddy earbuds won't stay IN.......

Mariana Trench is certainly a good literary name.  I've always found that roadsigns are a great source of inspiration, though the more eyecatching ones verge on the Bulwer-Lytton or even the excitable bodice-ripping texts given away free by Amazon for the Kindle....

I once sketched out an entire US soap opera, set in the deep south, in which all the characters were named after towns in northern England.  IIRC, it centred on the rivalry between Preston Brooke and Hebden Bridge.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Wasn’t it Auguste Piccard who “reached” Mariana Trench, or don’t we wish to know that?

It was his son Jacques who first touched the bottom of Mariana Trench. He did it with Don Walsh! While his father could be said to having prepared the ground he was more known for going up than down...

I think I'll stop there.

With all this talk of Alternative Norfolk it is interesting to note that the Lynn and Dereham Railway had intention to extended east to Norwich but scrapped the plans when the line from Wymondham opened before they could reach Dereham. It would however make for an interesting "what if", especially when one considers the implications such a route would have had on the later opening of City station by the Lynn and Fakenham Railway.

• Like 2

I once sketched out an entire US soap opera, set in the deep south, in which all the characters were named after towns in northern England. IIRC, it centred on the rivalry between Preston Brooke and Hebden Bridge.

Was there a Mr P Tone who never could forgive his parents?

Which all reminds me of the Compass Deep Mine, source of traffic on my garden railway for a while. It originated in the way my son pronounced ‘compost heap’ when he was about three, and it took me a while to realise that he pronounced it that way because he was copying how I pronounced it! The mine/heap was closed after it was colonised by very aggressive wasps, who built a gigantic nest in it.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I always thought that Mariana Trench would make a great name for a literary heroine.  Perhaps Miss Trench, daughter of Colonel and Mrs Trench of Mildew Lodge, Little Aching, in the county of Norfolk, and named, I gather, after the popular Tennyson poem, is a denizen of West Norfolk, at least outside the Season (she came out a year or so ago if I recall). She possesses the quick wit and vivacity of her mother, Hermoine, with cool intelligence and certain of the more Mars-like characteristics of her father, who, to this day remains ignorant of many of his daughter's more interesting traits.

I thought we already had a Moated Grange - Smoxburgh Hall, home of the Acton-Tichingfelds. How does that fit? Or is Mildew Lodge another such? Quite a modelling challenge: With blackest moss the flower-plots / were thickly crusted, one and all: / the rusted nails fell from the knots / that held the pear to the gable-wall. / The broken sheds look'd sad and strange: / unlifted was the clinking latch; / weeded and worn the ancient thatch...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

I thought we already had a Moated Grange - Smoxburgh Hall, home of the Acton-Tichingfelds. How does that fit? Or is Mildew Lodge another such? Quite a modelling challenge: With blackest moss the flower-plots / were thickly crusted, one and all: / the rusted nails fell from the knots / that held the pear to the gable-wall. / The broken sheds look'd sad and strange: / unlifted was the clinking latch; / weeded and worn the ancient thatch...

The district boasts several notables.

A retired officer could reside in a "gentleman's house"; unless he was independently wealthy and had inherited an estate, he might not run to a large demesne.

A Major, whose name escapes me, lived at Docking Hall and was a supporter of the Lynn and Hunstanton (GER). 

As we now have a Colonel Trench, we must not forget the baleful presence of the irascible Colonel Knap-Flint.  While I think Colonel Trench, perhaps a career Indian Officer, might command our respect and sympathy, Knap-Flint is an officer rather in the mould of the Duke of Cambridge ("I don't believe in brains!"); https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_George,_Duke_of_Cambridge

The Erstwhiles of Aching Hall are, I suspect, a Whig family, their seat constructed in the first quarter of the Eighteenth Century in the Palladian manner.  

The Acton-Tichingfelds are an old recusant family.  Smoxburgh came to the Tichingfeld family by marriage in the early Fifteenth Century.  The present house dates from the last quarter of that century.  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Clearly it'll be important to understand in which of the local railway companies the local gentry have shares and what traffic they bring. On Coachmann's thread was posted a Great Western report on Ruabon Station, 1925, which reads as a briefing document for an incoming station master. This lists the "principal residents in the district". For the convenience of the chief nob, "a combined saloon and hounds van and also a brivate horse box are stabled during the hunting season". Did other companies compile such reports is was it just a Great Western thing?

• RMweb Premium

So far, the WNR is said to have had a small Sharp Stewart 2-4-0, with 4-wheel tender. These were (also) supplied to the Cambrian ('Small Passenger") and the Furness (E1 Class). 

Like this http://search.digido.org.uk/?id=llgc-id%3a1124930&query=*&query_type=full_text&page=10&qf=subject_lctgm_topic%3aRailroads

• Like 2