Bulleid Tavern Cars

The Bullied designed Tavern Car sets after considerable public criticism were converted to more conventional looking catering vehicles from June 1950 beginning with the Restraunt Cars which were converted to composite dining saloons in 1950/51. The first vehicle to be converted was 7836.

The Tavern Cars were converted to conventional kitchen/buffet cars from 1959. The first two converted were coaches 7892 and 7896. They were withdrawn between November 1966 and December 1967.

When new in 1949 these sets were not confined to the Southern and were allocated to trains such as The Master Cutler and

The Norfolkman to mention just two.

Hope this helps.

Some of the kitchen/buffet cars ended their days in Waterloo-Exeter sets hauled by Warships, with others on the Bournemouth line. The composite open diners were not necessarily paired with them towards the end.

15540957389_f877b921dd.jpg34044_PirbrightJct_1730-Wloo-Bmouth_17-9-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

16176257311_1c0d1f623b.jpgS7836S_SotonC_20-5-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• RMweb Gold

A tavern car could be a popular novelty item on a heritage railway.Do there exist any suitable Bulleid coaches that could form the basis of a conversion?

Anything is possible but you'd need to chop up two Bachmann Bulleids to get enough windows to make one, then join 10 or 11 short bits together to make each side.

Chances of getting it all together straight? Not terribly good, I'd think. 

Easier to overlay one with etched sides.

J.

A tavern car could be a popular novelty item on a heritage railway.Do there exist any suitable Bulleid coaches that could form the basis of a conversion?

there are kit for the coaches By Comet models

S11a Original Tavern Kitchen Car

S11b Original Tavern Trailer Car

S14a Rebuilt Tavern Kitchen Car

S14b Rebuilt Tavern Trailer Car

• RMweb Premium

Do a Southern Pride bits and either Comet or Bill Bedford Sides kit build. Comet sides are shaped (or at least they were the last time I looked).

Or hack any old Baccy Bulleid (M & C are cheap on Ebay), use Comet sides and bits, consult the prototype pics and do your thing. If you find a suitable green paint for the job then please let me know.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Anything is possible but you'd need to chop up two Bachmann Bulleids to get enough windows to make one, then join 10 or 11 short bits together to make each side.

Chances of getting it all together straight? Not terribly good, I'd think. 

Easier to overlay one with etched sides.

J.

I was really thinking of reproducing a tavern car full-size on a real life preserved railway :)

So thats a No - none of them ended up on commuter trains. 

Someone has put up something on twitter saying they were, and when I contradicted him, he was adamant....

Possibly ??, a confusion of words. Commuter = Suburban = Surbiton ??.

A re-built, ex -'Tavern' RKB was, normally, included in the formation of the Surbiton - Okehampton 'Motorail' Car Carrier service.

Seen here, second vehicle from loco.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276409/Article/images/27455942/10551838-large.jpg

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Revolution-taking-place-southern-region/story-27455942-detail/story.html

• RMweb Premium

Possibly ??, a confusion of words. Commuter = Suburban = Surbiton ??.

A re-built, ex -'Tavern' RKB was, normally, included in the formation of the Surbiton - Okehampton 'Motorail' Car Carrier service.

Seen here, second vehicle from loco.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276409/Article/images/27455942/10551838-large.jpg

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Revolution-taking-place-southern-region/story-27455942-detail/story.html

Oh that was helpful. That would have been from about '63 then although there were several Taverns were there not. I hadn't really identified that coach in that train so thanks.

Apologies for going way OT.

Phil. 

Archived