Wartime Sussex 1943(ish)

GreenGiraffe22

Hi there and welcome to RMweb!

A lot of love for this layout already, especially the number 12 bus which still runs past my lane to this day (although nowadays in a slightly more garish shade of green!)

One thing that springs to mind is another layout which has appeared in the Mags in years previous - Rowlands Castle - based on the real-life Hampshire village during WW2, so lots of war time paraphernalia as per your layout. Have a google for it as I think you'd find it really inspirational :)

Have you thought about some dummy third rail? That really would be a Brighton/Eastbourne area scene setter, and your 2BIL would appreciate it I'm sure ;)

Following with interest, thanks for sharing! Phil

Thank you! Yeah my dad was always the one that did the building and the electrifying and all that, I just did the playing, it is about time I learnt haha.

Yes I have checked out Rowland's Castle and drooled with envy, that is pretty much what my modelling goals are! 

And I have considered a third rail, definitely one for the future layout ! Which I'm planning as being more of a straight line with a fiddlers yard each end, and probably a shunting yard somewhere. I have many ideas!

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

Thank you! Yeah my dad was always the one that did the building and the electrifying and all that, I just did the playing, it is about time I learnt haha.

Well this is the place to assist you in your learning. Any questions just sing out chances are you wont be the first person with that query!

All the best,

John

• Like 1

Any wartime layout gets my vote! There should be more... It's a pity there is so little information about the railways in WWII and there certainly is a distinct lack of pictures because of  wartime censorship. But to me, WWII is Britain's railways finest hour. They played a very important part in the Allied buildup and it's final victory.

• Like 3

I don't know much about how wounded troops were transported about, but today I put something together that is supposed to represent a train that might have met wounded soliders upon arrival back this side of the channel. I don't know how accurate the ambulance carriage is but I found it on ebay ages ago that someone had repainted and thought it looked good. I presume PLVs would have been useful for medical and / or military supplies, the 3rd class carriage is for the lesser-wounded soliders. 

13077079_10156692964440391_2495268138246

13051586_10156692964725391_3422610505623

13094210_10156692965230391_7618105108006

• Like 6

i like your consist there! If you like it then it's your railway and that's all that matters. I think it looks the part. If you want an accurate representation then research is always essential but if your happy with it without counting rivets (as many of us including myself are) then that's the main thing!

Have you thought about adding a backscene? It could really help bring your layout to life.

John

• Like 1

i like your consist there! If you like it then it's your railway and that's all that matters. I think it looks the part. If you want an accurate representation then research is always essential but if your happy with it without counting rivets (as many of us including myself are) then that's the main thing!

Have you thought about adding a backscene? It could really help bring your layout to life.

John

Thanks John, I am trying to make it as accurate as I can, but as you say, I'm certainly not counting rivets, as long as people could accurately guess the location and era based on what they can see, then I'm happy!

I've done a degree research but there seems to be so little detailed writings about the railways during the war, but I've gathered what info I can, what locos were introduced and when and what liveries are and aren't appropriate, I very nearly pre-ordered one of Model Rail Offer's USA tanks in SR Black before I found out we didn't actually start using them till after the war - shame, but saved myself £124.

I'm always learning new things, at first I thought all my engines had to be black, then I found out some never got repainted from olive, and then I had a schools class that was actually in a post-war livery but I soon replaced it with a black one I found haha. Details like that are the ones I'm most anal about. My E4, for example, should probably technically be no.2473 by this period in time, and it may yet become no. 2473 one day! 

The layout was originally set in the summer of 1940, but I really wanted a Q1 as it is such an iconic Southern war loco,  so I brought it forward a couple of years!

As for a back-drop, I would love to have one, but I think I shall wait itll I've got my own place, the sloping wall towards the back of my layout makes it a bit awkward too. 

Thanks John, I am trying to make it as accurate as I can, but as you say, I'm certainly not counting rivets, as long as people could accurately guess the location and era based on what they can see, then I'm happy!

I've done a degree research but there seems to be so little detailed writings about the railways during the war, but I've gathered what info I can, what locos were introduced and when and what liveries are and aren't appropriate, I very nearly pre-ordered one of Model Rail Offer's USA tanks in SR Black before I found out we didn't actually start using them till after the war - shame, but saved myself £124.

I'm always learning new things, at first I thought all my engines had to be black, then I found out some never got repainted from olive, and then I had a schools class that was actually in a post-war livery but I soon replaced it with a black one I found haha. Details like that are the ones I'm most anal about. My E4, for example, should probably technically be no.2473 by this period in time, and it may yet become no. 2473 one day!

The layout was originally set in the summer of 1940, but I really wanted a Q1 as it is such an iconic Southern war loco, so I brought it forward a couple of years!

As for a back-drop, I would love to have one, but I think I shall wait itll I've got my own place, the sloping wall towards the back of my layout makes it a bit awkward too.

You've done a good job so far! Personally I like the research behind these things and that is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby in my eyes.

I agree, it is difficult to find info out for the war period. Have you thought about having ago at re spraying stock to suit your period? Hard working war weary locos and stock tell a story like no other. Model rail did a superb magazine and supplement last year which included work on an 8f for this period.

John

You've done a good job so far! Personally I like the research behind these things and that is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby in my eyes.

I agree, it is difficult to find info out for the war period. Have you thought about having ago at re spraying stock to suit your period? Hard working war weary locos and stock tell a story like no other. Model rail did a superb magazine and supplement last year which included work on an 8f for this period.

John

Thank you! Yes I too enjoy doing the research, research has frequently saved me from spending lots of money on unsuitable things too haha. I am slowly getting around to weathering up everything, it is easy enough, just gotta be in the mood for it. It certainly makes them look a lot less like toys and more like accurate scale replicas of a period in time. 

very pleased with my latest addition to the layout, a Hornby T9 I managed to swipe off ebay mint in box for a mere £65, it must have slipped under the radar because I haven't seen one go for less than £80 in a very long time, I knew I'd get a bargain if I waited patiently enough! I just need to weather it up and add couplings and head code discs. 

Incidentally, can anyone point me in the direction of a company that sells head code discs? I thought Bachmann might as their E4 comes with 5 but apparently not... ?

13139098_10156712684900391_2187873185045

• Like 3

Look no further than your nearest paper-punch, it contains thousands of head-code disks. And, if they are too thin, run a sheet of 10 thou plasticard through it.

I'm never sure if they are the right size, but they look near enough.

On liveries: there were a good number of locos in already in malachite green at the outbreak of war, including several Schools, as well as many still in olive, so I would suggest that you can have all three, if you choose carefully. And, see below for what the first MN looked like when it emerged from the paint shop, during the War.

K

post-26817-0-07021000-1462293419.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer

Look no further than your nearest paper-punch, it contains thousands of head-code disks. And, if they are too thin, run a sheet of 10 thou plasticard through it.

I'm never sure if they are the right size, but they look near enough.

On liveries: there were a good number of locos in already in malachite green at the outbreak of war, including several Schools, as well as many still in olive, so I would suggest that you can have all three, if you choose carefully. And, see below for what the first MN looked like when it emerged from the paint shop, during the War.

K

I hadn't thought of that, however I did manage to find some etched in brass that were only £2.50 for a pack of 16 so I'm going to try them out.

And that is good to know, I did read that the MNs were rolled out in Malachite but I get so confused reading articles about liveries, The previous Schools I had was Hornby's 'Stowe', well, I say had, I've still got it for now in a box, but that looks to be in a short lived experimental green that was ditched in favour of Malachite (unless it is a general green produced by Hornby before they became more livery-accurate?), and (if I want to be super anal about accuracy) I read that the real 'Stowe' was painted black in 1942 anyway haha.

In any case, I personally really like the black liveries anyway, I think they look really smart and they weather up really nicely without me feeling guilty about ruining beautiful, intricate pre-war liveries haha. 

• RMweb Gold

Very nice looking layout. I understand what you mean about research. My layout of Hailsham was at one point going to be set in the WW2 period before I decided on 50s-60s due to being able to get more info about what ran during that period. In fact it has been easier to research my pre-grouping layout that when I was tying to find ww2 era info!

Gary

Very nice looking layout. I understand what you mean about research. My layout of Hailsham was at one point going to be set in the WW2 period before I decided on 50s-60s due to being able to get more info about what ran during that period. In fact it has been easier to research my pre-grouping layout that when I was tying to find ww2 era info!

Gary

Thank you Gary, and I know, sometimes I wish I'd set my layout in the 20s/30s because it'd be a damn sight easier, having said that I would like to maybe have a small LBSC/SECR layout at some point, but that's for another day!

From what I can gather about WW2 it seems a case of almost anything goes... It seems like anything could end up anywhere for the war effort!

My Mallard & Flying Scotsman do make an appearance occasionally but that is just for fun ;]  

• RMweb Gold

I had always wanted an LBCSR based layout and kept putting it off due to my own perceived lack of modelling skills and am glad I have decided to go for it however my other models built up from 3 previous layouts do still make an appearance when nobody is looking.

I look forward to following the progress of your layout

Gary

• Like 1

There are a few books around on the topic of the SR during wartime.

They published their own one called, IIRC, "War on the Line" c1946, and a couple of years ago Kevin Robertson (Noodle Books) did three, full of contemporary photos, as "Southern way" special editions.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

I've weathered up my T9 now, I've got some brass headcode discs from Roxy moldings, I just need to paint them white and stick them on.

There isn't much skill involved in my weathering, I just mixed up Humbrol weathering powders, mainly white and black with a bit of Oxide along the bottom, and just slap it on with a paint brush!

post-29051-0-25189600-1462791061_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

Just wanted to share some photos I took today after having a good change up of the traffic running on my layout. 

post-29051-0-26551100-1463062304.jpg

This goods train (minus the brake van) is made entirely of Dapol wagons, at least half of which are special commissions from Simply Southern http://www.simplysouthern.co.uk/

post-29051-0-02667100-1463062324.jpg

post-29051-0-63557100-1463062434.jpg

My M7 & E4

post-29051-0-65352500-1463062483.jpg

I think my Hornby platforms look really naff, even after painting them to make them look a little less plastic, and they don't really fit properly against my design either, especially on the curve, passengers will have to mind the MASSIVE gap haha, my partner wants to try carving some from polystyrene.

post-29051-0-76727000-1463062584.jpg

Also thinking about getting Bachmann's new C Class no. 1294, I think the 2 will look really good running together on heavy military goods trains, plus I love the locomotive, my favourite next to my E4. I want to go over the weathering on it, the clear varnish I had ran out as I was spraying it and it left it looking a bit blotted

post-29051-0-65566900-1463062685_thumb.jpg 

My T9 in the coal loading bay, this area needs some work.

post-29051-0-01205100-1463062757.jpg

My Schools on goods

post-29051-0-34557200-1463062778.jpg

post-29051-0-25614000-1463062791.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice shots. I am a fan of the Simply Southern wagons and have quite a few myself. It also helps that Ash is a really nice guy. I was chatting to him earlier he has a lot of new releases coming in the near future and a re-run of an old wagon coming out as well.

Gary

Yeah I had coffee with Ash recently, we've been discussing creating a Southern layout to take to exhibitions and new product ideas, I asked him the same question and he told me most of them are genuine liveries, a couple though, like the Polegate Treacle Mines (obviously) & Sussex Fisheries are the work of creative fiction.

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps. I rather suspected that.

I'm enjoying this layout, although my own slice of the Southern deliberately dodges round the war; it exists just before, or just after, but never during.

You could create a 1/76 version of my father as a skinny teenager to put on yours, because in 1943 he travelled down by train, from where he grew up in Crowborough, to sign-up at the recruiting office, in Brighton.

Kevin

• Like 1