OO gauge Warship Diesels

A friend wants me to build up a 00 Warship WR Diesel, fitted with finescale wheels etc., and a bit of extra detailing.

I looked at the Hornby version, and assume kindly that it was an ex-Lima loco, and appears to be less than scale around the bogies, unless I  have missed an up dated version. Experience with Lima motors etc., would put me off anyway.

This leaves the still to be delivered Bachmann DCC versions shown on the website, but it appears that Bachmann have previously done the Warship, as lots are on Ebay.

What differences are there between the older and newer Bachmann, as if the motor etc., remains the same, I might as well buy the old version and re-build it with scale wheels, if needed, and add extra details to the body, before a re-paint.

So if anybody has any details, I would be grateful, before advising him on what to purchase.

Stephen

Hi,

The latest Bachmann model is of the NBL Warships (D833 - D865), and has received quite glowing reviews.  It come with a lot of details to fit.  The motor is a central motor, driving both bogies.

The previous Bachmann model is a development of the Mainline model, and just covers the Swindon built Warships.  The later versions has a central motor driving both bogies.

I assume the Hornby one is a version of the Lima model.  I only have the Lima version with the dreaded Lima motor bogie. 

Model Rail covered detailing the Warships in issue 39 - January 2002.

Detailing parts are available from companies such as Shawplan, and have in the past been produced by Westward and Craftsman.

Hope this helps

Tom

I have been reading more on this, and frankly the latest Bachmann to come would suit him without major surgery. The old Lima/ Hornby is shockingly bad, the brake shoes are so far out that they would be beyond fitted P4 wheels.....and the posters wonder why people still chase Hornby to try to keep them on course with models.

Stephen

I think the whole look of the Hornby/Ex-Lima Warship is totally wrong around the front windows. On a real warship the front windows taper towards the edges as well as curve down. The front windows on the HornLim warship look parallel. The ex-Mainline warship which Bachmann subsequently produced looked a lot better but had an appalling motor until Bachmann updated the chassis. It can still be superdetailed into a nice display model.

Adding to some of the above replies:

The Hornby model is the ex-Lima tooling but with a much more modern motor bogie with a 5-pole motor, better wheels and better all wheel pickup arrangements, and consequently runs very smoothly and near silently. That said, it is, as others have described, not a very good model. It lacks the 'skirts' over the bogies too.

Bachmann's class 42 warship has been developed over the years. Earlier ones had the decent motor and all wheel drive but no DCC socket and no lights. Later releases are DCC-ready and have lit headcodes and cabs. I have one of the latter models from the 'Torbay Express'  train set, and, in my opinion, this is a decent model and runs well.

I cannot comment on the class 43 version (the latest and most recent release) except to say it is supposed to be all-new tooling and it is DCC-ready with lights. Again, a good model, possibly with even more refined running than the earlier model - can anyone who has one of these comment further, please?

• RMweb Gold

I have a recent class 43, and it is an excellent model overall in terms of shape etc. There are some drawbacks however - a driver is no longer fitted and the cabs I'm told are hard to remove. The loco is quite high geared meaning the minimum speed on DC is quite high on my admittedly fairly unsophisticated controller. Neither aspect would stop me getting another model.

A friend wants me to build up a 00 Warship WR Diesel, fitted with finescale wheels etc., and a bit of extra detailing.

I looked at the Hornby version, and assume kindly that it was an ex-Lima loco, and appears to be less than scale around the bogies, unless I  have missed an up dated version. Experience with Lima motors etc., would put me off anyway.

This leaves the still to be delivered Bachmann DCC versions shown on the website, but it appears that Bachmann have previously done the Warship, as lots are on Ebay.

What differences are there between the older and newer Bachmann, as if the motor etc., remains the same, I might as well buy the old version and re-build it with scale wheels, if needed, and add extra details to the body, before a re-paint.

I have a late type 42 from Bachmann. (Hermes). Got it on eBay cheaply. It seems to run well although the led cab lights are a bit "blue"

So if anybody has any details, I would be grateful, before advising him on what to purchase.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Stephen

A bit of an epic follows - hope this helps!

For starters forget the Hornby/Lima model - cost reflected in the build

Which leaves you with the Bachmann models - the older class 42 or the recent class 43

The 42 has better pick up arrangements than the 43 - to get decent running on our 43s we fit proper pick ups bearing on the back of the wheels

post-7138-0-70093400-1472672226_thumb.jpg

Improves matters no end!

Then some 43 specific mods - blank off both MU mounting holes if modelling a loco in later condition - all except 857 lost MU connections but find a photo to determine exactly when. theres also the matter of the shed plate mounting pad on the buffer beam - an etched shed plate stuck on back to front!

post-7138-0-36907000-1472672413_thumb.jpg

You are then in to loco specific territory - despite the buffer beam mounting pad many 43s carried a shed plate on the valance

post-7138-0-56096500-1472672642_thumb.jpg

And shed code stencils or stickers behind the drivers door - also data panels, always blue regardless of loco livery, and RA dots

post-7138-0-44318200-1472672630_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-11040400-1472672506_thumb.jpg

The roof detail on the 43 has to be the best on any UK RTR detail it the time of release - those are etched grilles.

post-7138-0-08715600-1472672811_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-85972000-1472672822_thumb.jpg

But beware of 833 and 861 which had class 42 pattern grilles at some stage....That's were Shawplan comes in, and the grilles as fitted are just retained by a couple of tabs so should be a doddle to change.

Then its down to your loco and choice of livery...

post-7138-0-85972000-1472672822_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-03972700-1472672976_thumb.jpg

Valances are best at both ends - ditch the tension locks, wire loops easy to fit. Cabs are most definitely not difficult to access - in fact easier than most others!

Think that covers everything

So to source whats required:

Transfers for numbers - TOPS or sets of pre TOPs - Fox, includes RA discs

Transfers for blue data panels, shed stencils - Railtech

OHLE flashes - Fox

Nameplates - Shawplan

Shed plates - Modelmaster

Headcodes - Precision labels with acetate glazing over

Loco crew - Bachmann 36-407 (Cut their legs off!)

Hope that's useful

And do they cut the mustard? Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sdC0sR7xCM - 0.50 to 2.30 in, you be the judge!

Only weakness is the centre headcode bracket - a few have gone missing, have already replaced one on Strongbow with one fashioned from brass rod and an Extreme Etchings lamp iron, more robust and looks better too. Oh - theres also the drivers name card holder on D854, fashioned from etched  .50 cal ammo belt links from a 1:48 scale Edouard B17 detailing kit

Cheers

Phil

post-7138-0-24542900-1472672962_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, the plan is an 00 fine scale wheeled one, and current Bachmann wheels are OK, no requirement for P4/S4, with a Green body with appropriate numbers etc., and DCC fitted, but no sounds or weathering.

I do not usually build modern Diesels for myself, except a Fell and a Shunter or two,  and have made O gauge mechanisms for Lima bodies.

Stephen.

Archived