Oh Jack, what have you started...

Robatron86

Inspired by Jack's half pint Budd, I present the half pint heavyweight...

20160914_233508.jpg

Currently held together by blue tack and just popped on the chassis, but it's a start. It was a challenge as the roof and the glazing are one piece...

Wonderful - well done - does that make it a "Light-weight"? I don't know how much vertical space you have inside, I just wonder if the chassis will fit inside to lower it a bit - looking at the height of the steps?

Edited by shortliner

Thanks Prof and Jack. I wouldn't call it a lightweight. Judging by the size of the baggage compartment it can certainly hold its drink. Also having the mechanism from a GP30 means it will certainly pull more than it realistically should.

The term half pint heavyweight makes me think of a really short boxer...

Now, the next question is, do I leave it in the brown livery, and make a trailer for it, or paint it silver to match my MOW heavyweight and make it an inspection type vehicle?

A switcher chassis is a great option, it is a bit lower and has trucks that more closely resemble the trucks used on doodle bugs.  You can also just use one powered truck under the "cab" end and then a lighter passenger truck under the "trailing" end.  That was what I used 40 years ago to kitbash a doodle bug (before Bachmann came out with theirs).

I hate to say it, but a six-wheel truck (rather like Oscar and Piker [see below] of hallowed memory might be good. I believe there were a couple more "nonsense cars a "jail-box, and a Jimmy Carter Peanut-car - I just wonder how to fit the motor

post-6688-0-56944500-1473956155_thumb.jpg

Oscar and Piker

I seem to remember there is an actual switching loco built fairly recently on a 6-wheel power truck - This isn't it BTW - but if it gives anyone ideas....

post-6688-0-66833300-1473956798.png

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 3