London Road Models New Releases

Jol Wilkinson

Latest new item from London Road Models is an brass etch to convert the L&Y Barton Wright 0-6-0 to a Taff Vale Class L or K locomotive.

Originally built by Kitson, theTVR l and K class were very similar to the L&Y Barton Wright Dreadnought 0-6-0s. The most obvious difference between the two TVR classes is that the  L had “slotted” splasher, those on the K being plain.

Several new cast fittings are also required to accurately recreate the TVR locos. LRM are seeking drawings of the chimney, etc. and will produce these if/when the information becomes available.

The etch includes new cab, splashers and smokebox front and is priced at £14.00.

The L&Y Barton Wright 0-6-0 kit is £95.00, including tender.

post-1191-0-64894300-1474898927_thumb.jpg

The LRM website;

http://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/

will be updated shortly to include this and other new releases. They can be contacted through the contact page on the website.

• Like 2

Also new from LRM is an etch in nickel silver to provide a rigid, sprung or compensated underfame/w-irons for the Ratio LNWR wagons.

The "base" etch has cut-outs to match the moulded projections under the Ratio wagon floor for correct and accurate alignment.

The suspension units can be built with "traditional" compensation having one rocking w-iron, rigid, with both w-irons fixed or sprung/compensated using the design developed by Paul Tasker of Prickly Pear Products. Each w-iron can rock but is "controlled" by parallel wire springs joining the outsides of each w-iron and supported at their centres. 

The underframe at the top of the attched photo shows the sprung/compensated version, the one at the bottom right hand corner showing the single rocking w-iron compensation.

post-1191-0-56969400-1474900127_thumb.jpg

Priced at £8:00, the suspension pack provides two etches to convert two Ratio wagons, pivot and spring wires, plus the correct brass pinpoint bearings to match the etches to the standard 26mm wagon wheel axles.

The LRM website;

http://traders.scale...ndonRoadModels/

will be updated shortly to include this and other new releases. They can be contacted through the contact page on the website.

• Like 1

Also new from LRM is an etch in nickel silver to provide a rigid, sprung or compensated underfame/w-irons for the Ratio LNWR wagons.

I've got the 752 4 and 2 plank kits that I started a few decades ago. The body and solebars are assembled, and I'd cut off the W-irons to fit compensated ones. The only problem is that I've added some packing, presumably to take the EMGS W-irons that I've got a good stock of, although it's so long ago I've forgotten now!

If I can get this packing off, will they just drop in between the solebars, or does anything need to be done to the solebars? There doesn't seem to be much clearance in the photo.

When can I order them?

I've got the 752 4 and 2 plank kits that I started a few decades ago. The body and solebars are assembled, and I'd cut off the W-irons to fit compensated ones. The only problem is that I've added some packing, presumably to take the EMGS W-irons that I've got a good stock of, although it's so long ago I've forgotten now!

If I can get this packing off, will they just drop in between the solebars, or does anything need to be done to the solebars? There doesn't seem to be much clearance in the photo.

When can I order them?

Hello John,

I haven't built any myself, seeing them for the first time as S4um. I'll ask John Redrup if the solebars need any material removing to provide clearance for the w-irons.

They were available for sale over the weekend but may have sold out, although he may be able to pack more without ordering from the etchers. I'll ask about that too.

Jol

Hello John,

I haven't built any myself, seeing them for the first time as S4um. I'll ask John Redrup if the solebars need any material removing to provide clearance for the w-irons.

They were available for sale over the weekend but may have sold out, although he may be able to pack more without ordering from the etchers. I'll ask about that too.

Jol

Thanks Jol. I'll probably send an order as soon as I get an answer (if it's the right answer!). It will be two wagons removed from my list of part built ones a lot sooner than they otherwise would be!

John,

the news from LRM's proprietor isn't good.

Firstly, as with any etched w-irons (or so it seems in my experience) the backs of the Ratio solebars need relieving to provide clearance although it's probably not much.

As I thought, he had sold out at S4um (perhaps I should have left posting this information for a few weeks) and mayl be four to six weeks before new etches arrive. That's pretty much the lead timewith the two major suppliers of etching services to the model railway "industry" - it has been four weeks since I sent off the artwork for a load on new stuff and I am not holding my breath yet.

I suggest anyone interested in these should contact John Redrup direct via the contact page on the LRM website for up to date information;

http://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/contact-us/

Jol

Thanks Jol. I've got plenty of other jobs to get on with, and after 35 or so years a few extra weeks or months won't make much difference. Taking out a bit of the solebar, as well as removing the packing I added, will help to enhance my skills a bit!

Some more information from John Redrup of LRM.

"The Ratio solebars and w-irons are the correct prototypical distance apart, so if you remove the plastic moulded w-irons, clearly for the new etched ones to be in the correct place you will need to remove some plastic from the inside of solebar. Although what dictates the distance apart of the solebars is a ridge on the bottom edge of the wagon side, if this is filed/cut off,it will allow the solebars to be moved out, albeit to an un-prototypical distance apart, then the etched w-irons will fit."

The issue of fitting w-irons to plastic kits isn't restricted to the LRM design. I haven't used the LRM w-irons but the S4Soc and MJT designs have the same problems (if it can be actually called a problem). A bit of filing helps and it doesn't take too long, just a few minutes.

Regards

• 5 months later...

The latest new kits from London Road Models are;

LNWR Water Column

This is  the type that was controlled by a below ground valve and which were both ground and platform mounted. Sometimes they were mounted straight into the platform without the base being visible and without the drain A split cover gave access to underground located valve.

The kit has options to produce either. The column is lost wax cast brass, with etched parts for the base, drain, valve shaft support, etc. section of textured "hose" and instructions. £9:00

post-1191-0-01930300-1490522836_thumb.jpg

LNWR Station Hand Cart

This kit produces a model of the small hand cart used on LNWR stations as shown in Fig 8 and Plate 2/148 on pages 66 and 67 of LMS Lineside (WSP). They were mainly used for small parcels, books and magazines (WHS had bookshops on larger LNWR stations), blankets and foot wamers for passengers in earlier days, etc. They were painted LNWR carriage lake, with black metalwork. The kit contains .012" brass etch and brass wire to make one trolley with instructions. £4.90

post-1191-0-80873700-1490523297_thumb.jpg

LNWR Four wheel station trolley.

This is a model of one of the common LNWR 4W station trolleys.  The kit makes the 6ft standard type as shown on page 70 of LMS Lineside (WSP). Used for larger parcels and packages, mail bags, etc. they lasted into BR days and were a common sight on station platforms. The kit contains .012" brass etch and brass wire to make one trolley with instructions. £4.90

post-1191-0-52545300-1490523654_thumb.jpg

LNWR Fog Shelter

Fog shelters were provided at signals to provide shelter for the fogman who would put detonators out to protect trains. This kit produces a Fogman’s shelter as shown in “LNWR Portrayed by Jack Nelson. During the summer months when not needed they could be found stored near signal boxes for maintenance. It is likely that the shelters were generally painted black, although typically few photos of such mundane  items are hard to find.
The photo shows the test etch model. Production etches have the  door opening blanked out, as they normally appeared. The kit contains a .012" brass etch to make one shelter and instructions. £4.95.

post-1191-0-95593400-1490524104_thumb.jpg

Full details will be available shortly on the London Road Models website at;

THey will also be available from LRM at Scalefour North on 1st and 2nd April;

• Like 5

Jol,

Any idea when John will have the LNWR 2.2.4.0 Tank loco's available?

He had a couple at the Leamington and Warwick Show at the beginning of March, which sold that weekend. He is reliant on Nick Easton (BIWO kits) who designed the etches for supply, which is why they don't appear on the website as a regular LRM product.

Best thing would be to contact John directly:

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/contact-us/

Does Nick know he needs more etches as they don't seem to take long to acquire?

Baz

Baz,

I don't know.

John Redrup owns LRM and I just help out at some shows, with some artwork design and "PR". He is based in Watford and I am in Suffolk, I don't speak to him daily and don't know what the stock situation is, which is why I suggested you contact him direct.

I don't know who Nick Easton uses to produce his etches, but the two main suppliers for the model railway kit makers take four to six weeks to turn round an order, sometimes longer in one case.

Jol

Baz,

I don't know.

John Redrup owns LRM and I just help out at some shows, with some artwork design and "PR". He is based in Watford and I am in Suffolk, I don't speak to him daily and don't know what the stock situation is, which is why I suggested you contact him direct.

I don't know who Nick Easton uses to produce his etches, but the two main suppliers for the model railway kit makers take four to six weeks to turn round an order, sometimes longer in one case.

Jol

Turn round on the etches is 10 days max but John has to complete the rest of the kit.

Nick

• 5 months later...

John Redrup has asked me to advise that the next loco kit from London Road Models is the Ivatt LNER J5 (GNR J22).

Twenty J5's were built in 1919/10, all lasting though to BR days, being scrapped between 1953 and 1955.  Complete with tender, but requiring motor, wheels and gears, the kit is priced at £118.00 and will be on sale at Scaleforum on 23rd and 24th September in Aylesbury.

Please note that the J5 is not yet listed on the LRM website.

Twenty J5's were built in 1909/10, all lasting though to BR days, being scrapped between 1953 and 1955. 

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• 6 months later...

New from London Road Models is a LNWR D12 timber wagon 4mm kit.

This single bolster dumb buffer wagon was built in large quantities from 1870, with over 1400 passing into LMS ownership. Conversion to sprung buffers began in 1913, when they were fitted with the self contained RCH type. Originally fitted with direct action wooden brake blocks on one side, these were later replaced with a push rod  single iron brake shoe variety. Subsequently some were equipped with double brakes, when converted to sprung buffers. The kit caters for the earlier two variants.

Priced at £15:00, the kit consists of a resin cast wagon body, with nickel silver etched underframe and cast white metal and brass fittings. Split spoke wagon wheels and couplings are not included, although the kit includes brass pinpoint bearings and etched coupling hooks. The nickel silver underframe can be assembled with rigid or compensated axles, or the “Prickly Pear” system.

post-1191-0-78458300-1523289759_thumb.jpg

London Road Models products can be found at  www.londonroadmodels.co.uk

and can be contacted by email at londonroadmodels@btinternet.com. or by post at  P.O. Box 643, Watford. WD18 6ZU

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 3