Corus Janus

• 2 months later...

Indeed, as covered in this thread, they were modified to improve clearances in the mill.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106957-appleby-frodingham-railway-preservation-society/?p=2162846

And the link from that thread clearly showing a Janus with sloping cab sides.

See the photo fourth down on this site.

https://www.blueplastictracks.com/archive/index.php/thread-221-2.html

• 1 month later...

When Yorkshire Engine Co closed in the late 60's, Scunthorpe wanted a few more Janus locos and these were built or finished off from parts supplied by YE at the Rolls Royce Sentinel works in Shrewsbury with RR works numbers. The cabs follow the Sentinel design of being sloped, and this batch of locos was quite small, if my memory serves me right only 3. YE was owned by the United Steel Companies, who sold the goodwill and designs to RR, who in turn passed them on to Thomas Hill at Kilnhurst, who started out as Sentinel Steam loco agents, before being taken over by RR.

When Yorkshire Engine Co closed in the late 60's, Scunthorpe wanted a few more Janus locos and these were built or finished off from parts supplied by YE at the Rolls Royce Sentinel works in Shrewsbury with RR works numbers. The cabs follow the Sentinel design of being sloped, and this batch of locos was quite small, if my memory serves me right only 3. YE was owned by the United Steel Companies, who sold the goodwill and designs to RR, who in turn passed them on to Thomas Hill at Kilnhurst, who started out as Sentinel Steam loco agents, before being taken over by RR.

I surprise myself with my own knowledge sometimes, although, I can't remember writing this!

To a Mr.G of MM - I think I may have left my account logged on :fool:

Its good to know you're an RMWEB'er too.

Just for the record, I have no idea whatsoever about the history of the Janus loco regarding YE and RR!

Cheers, Andy.

Archived