Britain Runs on Rail

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had followed the link I posted above and realised it was the RDG, but the point I was trying to make was,  that for the general public,  it is not immediately obvious from the TV ad.

Still not sure about the double arrows though.  :-)

Fascinating that the old "clickety-clack" noise is used as background, while most real trains now run on CWR. To me, it's a bit like using "chuff-chuff" noises.

And it's a bold choice to focus on people and shelves rather than trains (not necessarily a bad one, though a bit surprising).

The message I take from it is that the roads are now nice and empty, so I can use my car freely. :)

The double arrow symbol is one of the finest pieces of graphic design from the last century. It doesn't need tarting up, though it's so strong it survives what RDG have done to it (I think they've actually weakened the visual impact a little, but I can guess at the "reasoning" behind it). BR also played with it - as at the end of this glorious classic ad:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h80Gt0rG8Jo

Paul

Technically, yes. I imagine the big companies have done just that. It would apply to all branding, I expect - my Southern Pacific locos say on the box that they are produced under license from Union Pacific, who bought the rights to the branding when they bought the company. That's in the US, of course, but I see no reason why the DfT's predecessors wouldn't have acquired the rights to the LNER branding for example when the railway was nationalised.

• RMweb Gold

I too wonder what the purpose of this advert is.

If anything, it provokes a negative reaction in me. If there are twice as many passengers, paying much higher fares, why are the subsidies for the rail system so much higher than they used to be?

For those unaware or who may not have read the links posted so far, the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) rebranded themselves as the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) recently and this appears to part of their marketing campaign to establish the new brand.

RDG was of course the name of the new industry body proposed by Mr McNulty in his report on the current state and future direction of the UK rail industry some five years ago...

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I had seen a poster ad at my local station and admit I shuddered when I saw how they'd tweaked the double arrows. I don't mind the colours so much, but they have altered the proportions of the diagonal arrows and, in my opinion, destroyed the balance.

The original was a surprisingly subtle design; if you look at the original specification you'll see the ends of the arrows flare very slightly - without this flare the whole thing looks wrong, or at least not quite right.

In theory the copyright is held by the Secretary of State, and permission should be sought, but I don't think decal makers need to worry too much. Any legal proceedings would consider precedent, and the DfT has chosen to ignore infringements by so many model companies and manufacturers for so long it would struggle to convince a court that it should suddenly be permitted to now. And that is before you even start with arguments about artistic freedom.

Cheers

Ben A.

I just noticed the altered proportions of the arrowhead components on a roll of 'Britain Runs On Rail' stickers I have here.  That's naughty and it has completely ruined the balance of the logo as Ben says.

If anything, it provokes a negative reaction in me. If there are twice as many passengers, paying much higher fares, why are the subsidies for the rail system so much higher than they used to be?

More passengers means more trains and higher operating costs, but IIRC it was recently suggested that income now effectively covers the day-to-day cost of running the railway.

• RMweb Gold

Only in some parts of the country have higher passenger numbers led to more trains. In most cases, the trains have just become more crowded.

In general, while I accept that extra passengers do lead to some additional costs, overall the economies of scale and having more bums on seats should mean that the railway does not need so much subsidy (or that the subsidy should lead to better outcomes).

It is a fascinating propaganda advert, but like others, I do wonder what the motivation behind it is.

What really concerns me is the proud boast about the £50 billion investment in the railway system and infrastructure.

Whilst I applaud this investment, my concern is the amount of money spent on perceived 'spectacular' architechture, as evidenced by the shots showing the 'new' Kings Cross concourse. To my mind this isn't money well spent. It seems to me that we let the architects responsible have free reign on spectacular designs which don't give value for money!

It's the same with lots of public buildings, such as hospitals and schools where money is wasted on eye catching designs, which are totally unnecessary. The money should be spent on the infrastructure contained within and the staff employed within such buildings.

Davey

There are very few rail projects with such architecture. And last time they did kings cross it was all about function over form, and you remember his horrible that was. If you're building a facility like kings cross it needs to be attractive.

I agree you need to make buildings visually attractive, whilst at the same time being functional. Birmingham New Street is another case in point as are some of the Cross Rail edifices. What I do take issue with, is money wasted on spectacular architecture for the sake of it. Give me simple classic architecture every time, architecture that is timeless and not something that falls in line with current trendy thinking, and within a few years looks horribly dated.

This is just my opinion, just as yours in yours.

Davey

There are very few rail projects with such architecture. And last time they did kings cross it was all about function over form, and you remember his horrible that was. If you're building a facility like kings cross it needs to be attractive.

But it also needs a warm waiting room in January; we've frozen there twice waiting for Virgin trains. Looks nice but grim

Paul

For those unaware or who may not have read the links posted so far, the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) rebranded themselves as the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) recently and this appears to part of their marketing campaign to establish the new brand.

RDG was of course the name of the new industry body proposed by Mr McNulty in his report on the current state and future direction of the UK rail industry some five years ago...

It isn't just ATOC, it now includes Network Rail  and Freight Operating Companies in its membership so for the first time since privatization the whole industry is at least in one tent. 

But it also needs a warm waiting room in January; we've frozen there twice waiting for Virgin trains. Looks nice but grim

Paul

That's not really anything to do with the architecture. I can find any number of inadequately heated waiting areas in stations of every vintage.

Though in a new station it should have been got right.

It is a fascinating propaganda advert, but like others, I do wonder what the motivation behind it is.

What really concerns me is the proud boast about the £50 billion investment in the railway system and infrastructure.

Whilst I applaud this investment, my concern is the amount of money spent on perceived 'spectacular' architechture, as evidenced by the shots showing the 'new' Kings Cross concourse. To my mind this isn't money well spent. It seems to me that we let the architects responsible have free reign on spectacular designs which don't give value for money!

It's the same with lots of public buildings, such as hospitals and schools where money is wasted on eye catching designs, which are totally unnecessary. The money should be spent on the infrastructure contained within and the staff employed within such buildings.

Davey

I think I would prefer them to waste a bit of money on architects than have a revitalised CLASP system for the 21st century.

1280px-Catford_station_building.JPG

By Sunil060902 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4743812

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consortium_of_Local_Authorities_Special_Programme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLASP_(British_Rail)

That's not really anything to do with the architecture. I can find any number of inadequately heated waiting areas in stations of every vintage.

Though in a new station it should have been got right.

I don't understand this comment. Architects are responsible for all of the design of a building, not just the fancy bits. This rebuild is not fit for purpose and Julie was ill for a fortnight after being exposed there early one Sunday morning.

Paul

Archived