Am I using the wrong bits​?!?

Ok, just a quick one this:

I have bought some peco streamline points and some flexitrack as I felt sure that I had read somewhere that they look more realistic than setrack.

However to my eyes the sleepers on the section of flexitrack look markedly skinnier than those on the points? I've attached a pic, but it doesn't really illustrate the point very well. Am I missing something glaringly obvious??

post-27013-0-21401500-1491574487_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Dont  forget  if  laying  flexible  track  on  a  curve  it  is  advisable  the  stagger  the  joints  in  order  to  maintain  a  smooth  curve!

and as I recall lay it the right way as I recall its designed to be curved on one side with the gaped side inside the curve  I think there are arrows showing the direction on the underside

Nick

edited for given duff info

and as I recall lay it the right way as I recall its designed to be curved on one side with the gaped side inside the curve

Nick

Cant  follow  your  reasoning,  but  in  order  to  avoid  'Dog Legs'  at  the  place  where 2  sections  of  flexible  track have to be  joined  on  a  curve  it  is  advisable  to  stagger  the   rail joints  ie don't  have  the  2 joints  exactly  opposite each other,, but   have them  staggered by  5 mm or  so  this  enables  a  SMOOTH curve to be  maintained and  thus  ensures  better   running and  avoids  derailments.

bEven full  size  railways  stagger  their  joints  on  sharper  radii,  somewhere on  here  there  are  some  photos  as  the  sunject  has  been  covered  before.

• RMweb Gold

Cant  follow  your  reasoning,  but  in  order  to  avoid  'Dog Legs'  at  the  place  where 2  sections  of  flexible  track have to be  joined  on  a  curve  it  is  advisable  to  stagger  the   rail joints  ie don't  have  the  2 joints  exactly  opposite each other,, but   have them  staggered by  5 mm or  so  this  enables  a  SMOOTH curve to be  maintained and  thus  ensures  better   running and  avoids  derailments.

bEven full  size  railways  stagger  their  joints  on  sharper  radii,  somewhere on  here  there  are  some  photos  as  the  sunject  has  been  covered  before.

I believe the US stagger fishplates, The UK have the together.

Andi

Flexi track always tries to straighten itself out when joined on curves, If you stagger the joints it tends to go tight to gauge, if you don't it kinks especially as you get down to 2ft radius.   I cut all the ties between sleepers on the outside of a curve to minimise the tendency to go tight to gauge and brace the outside fishplates with small screws to stop the track moving outwards.   

I use set track on curves if I can , I used to ease 3rd radius out to 2ft but with 4th radius now widely available this is less necessary.

I  sometimes use a jig to keep the curve constant while the ballast sets is setting, outside, where I use sand and cement as ballast....   Don't try that at home if you track power.

Point timbering is wider than on plain track. It used to be 12" and 10", but I can't speak for modern metric days.

To avoid kinking, I always set a curve into the rail. That way there is no tendency to straighten out at the joints. Streamline sleeper webbing is precut for curves, but, as this is actually a series of short straight sections, sharper curves need to have all the webs cut away on the inside of of the curve. Alternatively use Setrack for the curves. A transition curve is also a help to good running. Really tight curves ideally should have a measure of gauge widening, but this is not possible using flexible track.

Streamline sleepers are to H0 scale dimensions and set closer together than is normal in British practice.

Part of the problem with all 00 track is the gauge is 2mm or so underscale for 1:76 scale.   Grafar used to have 00 spacing and width of sleepers with the length reduced by 2mm or so, Peco seem to build theirs to 3.5mm ft HO which makes the sleepers undersize.  It always strikes me that the Grafar track on the old part of our layout looks more realistic than Peco when trains are around and the Peco on the more recent parts looks more realistic when there are no trains around.

All very well discussing OO and HO track, but the ones in the OP are N gauge.

Jason

Oops, The talk of 2 foot radius curves threw me.....

The main points (pun not intended) don't change however and I suspect the N gauge track is built to 1:160 for the same reason the 00 track is H0. Their main market is North America.

Archived