2ManySpams

Coming along nicely D, good to see the scenics being covered by more than just heavy tools!

I think Andy Y needs to add another icon to the voting choices - sometimes I feel the need for a 'quality bodging' rather than 'craftmanship' vote. :jester:

What about an 'Oversize tool in use' Icon?

• RMweb Premium

Yup, looks like Bodmin Gaol in my avatar....

http://www.photofilecornwall.co.uk/cornwall_seinland/bodminjail/images/bodminjail_0099a.jpg

Executions at Bodmin (source)

Between 1735 and 1909, there were 60 executions in Bodmin including eight females. The early execution took place on the edge of the town on Bodmin  Common. From 1802 to 1828, a drop gallows was used in the field outside the front of the gaol. A new drop over the main gate was used between 1834 and 1856.

When the new gaol was built the drop was placed over the main gate which now pointed to the north-east. This was declared illegal by the Inspector of Prisons on the grounds that it was not public enough. The drop was moved to the south wall in a similar position to that of the old gaol. This allowed very large numbers of people to witness the executions from Asylum Hill, also known as the Bodmin Highlands. There was a major change in 1868, when a new law declared that executions had to take place in private. The hangings in 1878 & 1882 used the same site but shielded the event from view with a canvas shield. Only the 1901 & 1909, hangings were truly in private. They were the first executions inside the gaol. The new execution shed and pit were built sometime after 1882.

Details of an Execution (Lightfoot Brothers, Bodmin 1840)

By 9 o’clock, several thousand people had taken their places in the valley near the railway and in the adjoining fields. Soon after, the executioner, Mr Mitchell, a respectable dairy farmer from Ilchester, Somerset, came out on the drop and fixed the ropes, which passed over hooks in two cranes, branching from the wall. A portion of the raised path, immediately in front of the gaol, was very judiciously barricaded, not only to prevent any rush or pressure at the gateway, but also for the purpose of enclosing the place of burial appointed for the criminals, and of avoiding any unseemly disturbance near them in their last moments. A police force was stationed near this spot, consisting of the captain and sixteen other members of the Sheriffs troop, eight other constables of Bodmin and a policeman of Wadebridge. These arrangements were all conducted under the direction of the Acting Under Sheriff, Philip Protheroe Smith Esq., of Truro aided by the Mayor of Bodmin, C. Coode Esq.

In accordance with the usual practice, a divine service was held in the Chapel......The service concluded at about half past eleven, after the chapel had emptied, the two Lightfoots approached and knelt before the altar to receive the Sacrament.

By the time of the execution, the crowd had grown to an estimated 20,000- 25,000. This included trains which were halted below the prison wall so that the passengers, estimated at 1,100, could watch the hangings without leaving the wagons.

Great to see the updating of DITD and the work coming along nicely in top spec as usual from the DITD team.

But im left with many questions.......

Is this great work been done on the right board ?

passenger train passing gallows with old saggy rope could cause neck bungee, does this coin the saying rubber-necking ?

will the gallows appear on DITD with a pie on the rope ?

answers on a post card too Spams - winner gets years supply of Pies,   OK whats left that spams & Indomitable026 don't eat first hahahaa

(off to call the vet for help ) :scratchhead:

Ken

Finished for the day now.

I've spent the last few hours adjusting two of the tracks so they are now dead centre to the door holes.

The PW engineer is blaming the Building engineer and the Building engineer - well you can guess it. As the 'main contractor' I cop for the lot and have to put it right!

Moving the track over also then need a further pass with the router to make sure the pits lined up.

So i'm not as far on as I would have liked. ho hum

Coming along nicely D, good to see the scenics being covered by more than just heavy tools!

I think Andy Y needs to add another icon to the voting choices - sometimes I feel the need for a 'quality bodging' rather than 'craftmanship' vote. :jester:

Thats my 'kilt' protecting your scenery

A good bloke is that Al Fresco but he don't come out often enough. I see the shunter aint moved or you glued that aswell ha ha

( wont mention fingers)

it`s bits like these that take time but add the vital extra detailing that completes a better overall atmosphere, keep it up bud :-)

Ken.

A good bloke is that Al Fresco but he don't come out often enough. I see the shunter aint moved or you glued that aswell ha ha

( wont mention fingers)

it`s bits like these that take time but add the vital extra detailing that completes a better overall atmosphere, keep it up bud :-)

Ken.

Cheers and you won't see most of them!

The layout now has 12 pits !!

"Cheers and you won't see most of them!"

Well, provided there are buildings covering them...

Do you know, I thought to my self today, yes, i'm over it.

That bl##dy building's getting stuck down.

If I forget the building it will also mean i've forgotten the board.

Is that progress?

• Like 5

That last pic greatly  shows off how all the work comes together brilliantly :)

Although 1 rail as in the 1st pic would do to service tilting trains.

Thanks.

There's a way to go yet tho.

I still have to replace the concrete apron in front of the shed at both ends and make the doors. The doors have to be painted with yellow and black vertical stripes with a horizontal red stripe, should be interesting, especially on the back as the stripes go over the zig-zag frame!