Halts in all their glory

Spin-off from the discussion of the most "real" preserved stations .......

I've got a "thing" about very basic 'halt' stations, probably a reaction to years of involvement with some of the most frenetically busy stations in the U.K., so, a thread to record the tranquility of halts.

A few 'guiding principles':

- can be any time, any place, any where, open, closed, preserved, decayed, anything;

- ideally include a photo, taken by the poster (preferably of the halt in question, rather than, say, their cat);

- 'Honourable Mentions', with no photo by the poster, only a link, are allowed;

- ideally add a link to further information, 'cos these might inspire models;

- for these purposes, 'halt' means no booking office, and, ideally, no station building other than shelter/s.

As a (slightly dull) starter, here is the one made the destination for a bike ride today, not having been there since it had manual crossing gates.

Aspley Guise, on the Marston Vale Line. Loadsa' info here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/aspley_guise/

post-26817-0-41013300-1494942813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Oooh Yes, I like the idea of this.

Ok this is/was the closest one to me. Girtford Halt on the outskirts of Sandy. I took some pics in Oct 1981.

This is looking East with the platform edging of the halt on my right, the bridge takes the A1 over the trackbed of what was the Bedford to Cambridge line.

post-4738-0-29954500-1494944109_thumb.jpg

This is looking Westwards towards Blunham and Bedford

post-4738-0-47195700-1494944129_thumb.jpg

Info can be found here.    http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/g/girtford_halt/

You purchased tickets in a Cafe which was on the Northbound carriageway, needless to say it didn't much traffic and didn't last long. I have seen the first tickets purchased (0001 0002) for a trip to Sandy station,  but not for some time. There were also a couple of sidings for the loading of vegetables which lasted a bit longer.

For a recent view I've taken these from Google Streetview.

post-4738-0-33733700-1494944334_thumb.jpg

The trackbed now forms a roadway to access the A1 at the North end of town.

Looking West this is now Route 51 cycleway which you can use to Bedford. The site of the halt is now under the verge and pathway.

post-4738-0-00966900-1494944181_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I was reading the history of UK Marshalling Yards book which is very interesting and BR had the Oxford (Bedford) to Cambridge line as being of strategic importance for an outer London arterial freight route which came to nothing in the end and not even Dr Beeching can be blamed for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was reading the history of UK Marshalling Yards book which is very interesting and BR had the Oxford (Bedford) to Cambridge line as being of strategic importance for an outer London arterial freight route which came to nothing in the end and not even Dr Beeching can be blamed for it.

OT a bit but yes it was. The Flyover (the ECML) at Sandy was renewed at great cost to increase axle loading. 2 of the beams from the flyover now form the main Sandy to Potton road bridge at the North end of the station.

East West rail should hopefully correct this mistakem closure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's your thread but tying it down to pictures taken by the poster is going to restrict a bit? Great idea, though, the preserved stations is going very well. When is a halt not a halt? When it's a platform.

• Like 1

I've seen a picture of a halt that was popular with Dartmoor walkers on the Princetown Railway called Ingra Tor.

On the footpath approach to the halt was a large chocolate and cream British Railways sign that read, "Dog Walkers Beware of Snakes."

• Like 4

I was hoping to smoke-out images that aren't already on the web ..... like Mr Bacon's ones.

Regarding marshalling yards, I posted a couple of the mortal remains of Swanbourne, west of Bletchley, in the relevant thread.

K

• Like 3

A little difficult these days to find your basic halt. The nearest these days usually comes with a bus shelter which is certainly not very photogenic and hardly worth the effort. The older variety sometimes had oil lamps, a railway wire fence or if you were lucky, spear fencing and fancier gas lamps, maybe even a pagoda shelter.

Brian.

• Like 1

My top two, unfortunately photos are iPhone snaps of prints.

Ronaldsway IoM, where I took the photo as the train disappeared, then walked across a cabbage field to the airport, and caught a plane to London City Airport. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldsway_railway_station

Coombe Junction in about 1976, when it still had a wonderful array of signals, and entertaining operating practices. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coombe_Junction_Halt_railway_station

post-26817-0-69496500-1494959686_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-40819100-1494959697_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 12

post-21098-0-93949900-1494960685.jpg

One I've known from an early age; Shaugh Bridge on the Tavistock branch.  Sometimes there was a booking office inside to the left of the door but have no idea when or how it was staffed.  Picture from an unknown source.

Brian.

• Like 6

Pity its got to be taken by the poster as there's a couple round my way that I'd often visit but now I'm disabled will most likely not be able to get to at least one of them now though there are stock photos on the web. The other I'll do my best to get a picture tomorrow.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

You could always give the ones you don't have pictures of "honourable mentions" ...... you've got me intrigued, and I know there are some crackers round your way.

I'll give an honourable mention to West Runton, because I like it. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1084694 and, a short walk away, is the place where the West Runton Elephant was found!

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kings Sutton, south of Banbury and just north of Aynho Junction. Stopped by on the way to the office some years ago, and this flew by....

post-29514-0-55306600-1494969327_thumb.jpg

A change from the usual intermodal, Chiltern, FGW or Virgin Voyager at that time.

I believe it was a trial run with auxilary water tanks on a freightliner flat. Didn't last long as too many photographers complained that it spoilt their shots.

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I'll raise you some GWR signs and a coat of paint less at Coombe Junction in 1971. Looks like there has been a bit of building work round the back in the intervening five years.

post-9767-0-21334300-1494970182_thumb.jpg

In terms of 'Honourable Mentions' where I don't have a suitable picture, one of my favourites was The Lakes, near Earlswood on the North Warwickshire line.  

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrtl2862.htm

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Kings Sutton, south of Banbury and just north of Aynho Junction. Stopped by on the way to the office some years ago, and this flew by....

attachicon.gif6024a.JPG

A change from the usual intermodal, Chiltern, FGW or Virgin Voyager at that time.

I believe it was a trial run with auxilary water tanks on a freightliner flat. Didn't last long as too many photographers complained that it spoilt their shots.

Dave

I can remember when King's Sutton was a proper station with a large building, proper footbridge and a signal box controlling the junction towards Adderbury and Kingham.. We also had an S&T Lineman based there.

• Like 2

Technically my local, Steeton & Silsden could count, all it offers is a basic shelter on each platform, but it is far too busy in rush hour to be considered a halt.

Teesside Airport might though, lacking buildings, stopping services - just one train a week in each direction stops there for Parliamentary reasons only - and even lacking a raison d'etre - given that the eponymous airport is no longer connected by shuttle bus and has a very limited passenger service itself

14515541885_762dec8124_c.jpg

Lonely view by Timothy Young, on Flickr

14512150791_109e4361b9_c.jpg

The bus no longer calls here by Timothy Young, on Flickr

14329043167_a20d6ce160_c.jpg

142065 on a Darlington to Saltburn run by Timothy Young, on Flickr

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Waterloo, on the Brecon and Merthyr Railway's Caerphilly branch from Machen, was a classic.  It consisted of a gate, a lamp which didn't work, a nameboard, about 15 feet of fence, and the same length of ground level 'platform' edgeing.

• Like 4

Connel Ferry on the Oban line.  Sorry about the quality, but they were taken early on a January morning whilst waiting for the train to Glasgow.

1865518229_ConnelFeryStationP1110831.JPG.d1e3ac6c8bcf6cc5468df50ee157862f.JPG904040685_ConnelFerryStationP1110832.JPG.a0919919a6ad1becb439ed3c59432d3b.JPG

Most notable nearby features are:

Connel Bridge, ex Ballachulish branch railway bridge, now used as a main road bridge (and once used for both).

Falls of Lora (spanned by the Connel Bridge) which reverse direction with the tide.

Glensanda Quarry - a very large coastal granite quarry with no road access, everything comes and goes by sea and the reason I was there!

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 6

I can remember when King's Sutton was a proper station with a large building, proper footbridge and a signal box controlling the junction towards Adderbury and Kingham.. We also had an S&T Lineman based there.

And one of only five stations left in Northamptonshire, most people would think it's in Oxfordshire but the county boundary does a 'wiggly' thereabouts!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Back in the 70s, we still had Cefn Onn and Gifach Fargoed on the Rhymney line, both request stops, both in deep cuttings, both with no working lights, and both next to impossible to see on a dark morning.  The punters used to flag the train down with cigarette lighters, probably not the only places this happened but it always looked a bit of a flimsy way of stopping a train to me!  Worked, though...

• Like 3