Sir Keith Park to leave the SVR

Liam

It was announced on the SVR's website on Friday that Bulleid Pacific no. 34053 'Sir Keith Park', or commonly known as 'Skip', is to leave us at the end of the year and head to the Swanage Railway, where its overhaul was undertaken. It first steamed in preservation at the SVR and some memorable events have occurred since, such as a RAF dedication ceremony to Sir Keith Park (the fighter pilot) and a race against a Morgan in aid of BBC Children in Need.

However, it does raise the possibility that another of the Southern Locomotive Limited's locos (maybe Sidmouth?) could come to the SVR in exchange for Sir Keith Park, so the sight of two Bulleid Pacifics in Western Region territory might still be possible!

• Like 1

I haven't got anything against the engines as such, but there are issues with them on the SVR. Firstly they do struggle on some parts of the line, especially the restart northwards out of Highley. Then there is the coal consumption, which is heavy, and it isn't helped by not a 'Home Fleet' loco, so steaming fees are higher than using one of those, so the mpd tends not to run it if possible.

There's still a Bulleid pacific on the SVR, and that is probably enough.

• RMweb Premium

As a preference I prefer driving SKP to TV as find the brake valve sticks less and the regulator has more sensation. Its been great having this engine and I know it has helped us enormously over the last few years.

I look forward to the engine which has been got for next year till 75069 and 2968 are both back in traffic.

• Like 1

Having experienced Sir Keith's problems on the Highley exit I understand how crews may not be sad to see it go. I have enjoyed many a good run too so I am sorry it is going. Good to know it is heading to its home region.

Having experienced Sir Keith's problems on the Highley exit I understand how crews may not be sad to see it go. I have enjoyed many a good run too so I am sorry it is going. Good to know it is heading to its home region.

Yes, many a time has Skip been slipping on Highley bank, and about this time last year it was out of action for at least three weeks after it completely failed one day. But hopefully those problems will be rectified when it heads down to Swanage as Bewdley and Bridgnorth MPDs have more experience dealing with GW and LMS locos.

Yes, many a time has Skip been slipping on Highley bank, and about this time last year it was out of action for at least three weeks after it completely failed one day. But hopefully those problems will be rectified when it heads down to Swanage as Bewdley and Bridgnorth MPDs have more experience dealing with GW and LMS locos.

I think it may well have been this time last year I was on a train, hauled by Sir Keith, that needed three attempts to depart Highly due to slipping. It was a dry, warm summer's day too!

As a preference I prefer driving SKP to TV as find the brake valve sticks less and the regulator has more sensation.

I can't comment on 'Skip', as I haven't had the pleasure,

but I would agree that TV does have a slightly 'stiff' regulator, 

it was a bit daunting for the first drive of a 'big' loco!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it may well have been this time last year I was on a train, hauled by Sir Keith, that needed three attempts to depart Highly due to slipping. It was a dry, warm summer's day too!

I was behind TV in mid-July and that not only struggled northbound out of Highley, but also southbound out of Bridgenorth.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

As a preference I prefer driving SKP to TV as find the brake valve sticks less and the regulator has more sensation. Its been great having this engine and I know it has helped us enormously over the last few years.

I look forward to the engine which has been got for next year till 75069 and 2968 are both back in traffic.

Steam brake sticking on a Bulleid?.....surely not....