GWR 4-6-0 1000 County Class: 1022 County of Northampton

• RMweb Gold

Recently I've picked up an early tender drive Hornby/ex-Dapol GWR 1000 County Class in fully lined post war livery. I'd like to finish it as 1022 County of Northampton. According to BRDatabase the date into service for this loco is as follows:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=1022&type=S&loco=1022

So essentially 1022 entered service at Laira in December 1946 if the above data is correct.

Now I know there are a few shape errors with the model particularly around the firebox area. However I would just like to rename it and add a few details which are missing.

Not having any suitable reference books to hand my questions are would 1022 have been delivered lined out and is a single chimney right for this pre-nationalisation time frame?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Edited by 46444

Hi Mark,

1022 was taken on strength at Laira on 25 Jan 1947 following running in trials at Swindon. It was lined green with G Crest W on the tender and single chimney. It was released into traffic carrying nameplates as were all the new Counties from 1019 onwards. Hope this is what you need.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

1022 was taken on strength at Laira on 25 Jan 1947 following running in trials at Swindon. It was lined green with G Crest W on the tender and single chimney. It was released into traffic carrying nameplates as were all the new Counties from 1019 onwards. Hope this is what you need.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Phew! That's what I wanted to hear.

So a fairly straight forward renaming and a few other tweaks should help lift the model.

I could not believe my luck when I found out 1022 was a Laira loco from new. Also the rationale behind the name/number choice is I'm from Northamptonshire originally!

Thankyou once again.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Double chimney not fitted to '56 Mark.

Rob is spot on, double chimney fitted during a Heavy General at Swindon in early May 1956.

Thanks once again to you both.

IIRC was 1000 County of Middlesex delivered with a double chimney?  Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

IIRC was 1000 County of Middlesex delivered with a double chimney?  Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

No you are right Mark. 1000 had a larger double chimney with capuchon from new as part of a draughting experiment. It lost this unique chimney for the standard double type in March 1958.

• RMweb Gold

No you are right Mark. 1000 had a larger double chimney with capuchon from new as part of a draughting experiment. It lost this unique chimney for the standard double type in March 1958.

I'm testing my GWR knowledge this evening... ;)

Thanks once again to you both.

Yes 1000 was delivered with a double chimney which was so successful that 1001 etc were fitted with a single chimney!  

The class had a massive reconstruction in the mid 1950s with new tube plates if not completely new boilers to provide much larger superheaters as well as double chimneys.

The worst feature of the 00 RTR County is the cab and Tender are too narrow.  The Tender looks like the Hawkesworth Castle Tender which was 8ft over the tank rather than 8ft 6" in the County and the Cab is also 8ft 6" wide compared to the 8ft King, Castle, Hall etc.   The RTR just looks plain wrong compared to prototype pictures and our Bristol Models County which is scale width and is a very imposing loco.

The GWR Pacific would also have been 8ft 6" wide as were the 94XX tanks and models of the Pacific using the King Cab always look wrong to me because of this.

• RMweb Gold

Yes 1000 was delivered with a double chimney which was so successful that 1001 etc were fitted with a single chimney!  

The class had a massive reconstruction in the mid 1950s with new tube plates if not completely new boilers to provide much larger superheaters as well as double chimneys.

The worst feature of the 00 RTR County is the cab and Tender are too narrow.  The Tender looks like the Hawkesworth Castle Tender which was 8ft over the tank rather than 8ft 6" in the County and the Cab is also 8ft 6" wide compared to the 8ft King, Castle, Hall etc.   The RTR just looks plain wrong compared to prototype pictures and our Bristol Models County which is scale width and is a very imposing loco.

The GWR Pacific would also have been 8ft 6" wide as were the 94XX tanks and models of the Pacific using the King Cab always look wrong to me because of this.

Thanks David,

As a quick project with a name I like I can live with the discrepancies of the model.  I guess eventually like the 78xx Manor an updated version will eventually appear.

I've seen conversions done where an Hornby 8F firebox is grafted on but it does not address the issues of the cab or tender width you've highlighted.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed on my Hornby loco that the tender is lined out at the rear. I thought the GWR stopped doing this in the 1920's/1930's? Is this right?

I must say that Hornby did a nice job with the green on 1010 'County of Carnavon'. It has a nice depth to it. Looking at it other than a name change and light weathering I'm going to add lamp irons and crew then done...For me any way!

Cheers,

Mark

Back in 1989 I was sent a copy of the Last GWR Painting Specification. Lining was still specified on the back of Tenders.  One items that is almost always missing on RTR engines is the black beading around Tenders, however, even though this is specified on the Spec, it is known that all lining below footplate level was discontinued after the initial 'County' 4-6-0 was painted, and so the black beading might also have been a post-war casualty. BR certainly never adopted it.

There are two old posts on my Blog which you might find of interest.

First a Post dealing with Dapol's County of Merioneth which had a different body shape to the earlier Dapol Counties.

The second post details the fitting of an Airfix tender drive in place of the Dapol engine drive where the gears were likely to fail.

You will note the addition of lamp irons.

For completeness I have also Posted some observations on Hornby Rail Road County of Hants which in my opinion was a step backwards in comparison to earlier Hornby offerings.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Back in 1989 I was sent a copy of the Last GWR Painting Specification. Lining was still specified on the back of Tenders.  One items that is almost always missing on RTR engines is the black beading around Tenders, however, even though this is specified on the Spec, it is known that all lining below footplate level was discontinued after the initial 'County' 4-6-0 was painted, and so the black beading might also have been a post-war casualty. BR certainly never adopted it.

Thanks Coach....

That's good news. I thought I was going to have to remove the lining and respray the rear of the tender.

That's saved me a job.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

There are two old posts on my Blog which you might find of interest.

First a Post dealing with Dapol's County of Merioneth which had a different body shape to the earlier Dapol Counties.

The second post details the fitting of an Airfix tender drive in place of the Dapol engine drive where the gears were likely to fail.

You will note the addition of lamp irons.

For completeness I have also Posted some observations on Hornby Rail Road County of Hants which in my opinion was a step backwards in comparison to earlier Hornby offerings

Thanks Ray.

I'd read all of your posts previously and very informative they are too...

I totally agree with your sentiments regarding the Railroad version.  I was tempted to go for one of those until I read your thread. The late Hornby version I have is rather good...

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1