Rolling road

J50

Is there such a thing as a rolling road for running locos on. The reason why I am asking is because I have very limited space in my new house to plan a layout. So I was thinking along the lines of having my locos running on a rolling road. And how does a rolling road work. Any help will be appreciated.

I think Hornby did one. I don't know much about it though. If it is still available then it should be on their web site.

Gaugemaster do one. It is a complete system with a couple of right angled metal strips & the rollers can be adjusted along it. It has a built in controller & ammeter so you can see how much current the loco is drawing. This may be useful to see any tightness in a mechanism.

DCC concepts do a set of rollers. These are quite versatile because it is a set of 6 4-wheeled stands which sit on your existing track. You can remove them when you don't need & they take up very little space, so you can even take them to a show or down to the club & put them in your pocket to take them home again.

Hi I brought one

last year at Warley, including all the trimmings I think I paid about £80 quid.

post-8443-0-26751100-1508263177_thumb.jpg

Absolutely brilliant piece of kit, can't remember the make though.

Regards Jeff

Edited by phixer64

The Hornby rolling road cannot be used with anything with more than one powered bogie (basically any diesel or electric loco or unit made in the past 10 years). I would stick to ones made by Zeller (as mentioned above), Direct Train Spares or DCC Concepts

• RMweb Premium

And i've got a set of the Bachrus ones (Digitrains, CoastalDCC and doubtless other suppliers) that are adjustable to suit any gauge between H0 and S.  I'm very happy with them.

DT

And i've got a set of the Bachrus ones (Digitrains, CoastalDCC and doubtless other suppliers) that are adjustable to suit any gauge between H0 and S.  I'm very happy with them.

DT

I also have Bachrus ho ones they will also stretch to O gauge

I am confused by the Hornby comment  .My Rolling road, with added rollers, runs everything from Rivarossi Big Boy, to my Hornby Dublo 2 rail locos I have some 100 locos, including DCC, and none refuse so far to run. Please clarify. john

I have the original Hornby version. This was produced for the live steam range, with no power to the rollers. Later on they modified it for use with electric locos- I've never looked at one but assume they fed power to the rollers? I modified mine to do that as soon as I got it.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the excellent Bachrus saddles - I have 4 of the '50' version and they'll adjust with the supplied Allen key to cover everything from N to O. Very good value too.

Most of the other types are fixed to one gauge only - this might be fine for you now, but who knows whether your gauge interests will change (or increase) over time. I started with OO, moved to EM, then added H0 and O later on. The set of Bachrus saddles does the lot.

Edited by CloggyDog

Hello

I use this one made by DCC Concepts:

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-102570/dcc-concepts-rolling-road-support-set-dcm-rrs6.htm

It is handy for me as I model both OO and P4.

I found a brand new, unused DCC Concepts rolling road ( as in ANT's link ) in a box of 'tat' at the recent Swansea Show, where it was marked up for £9.50p.

Handed the chap a tenner and he gave me 50p change

Job done !

Nice bit of kit, fits several gauges from 'N' to P4 and can accomodate up to six driven axles e.g. a Cl.47 or Cl.52, or a Cl.40 or Cl.45 if the 'pony' wheels are allowed to dangle.

Brian R

I have a Bactrus one but I've never been entirely happy with it.

One of the issues with it (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this didn't apply to all) is that it requires the weight of the fully weighted body to make it work. If you want to prove a chassis before you start on the body then it's of little value.

Goodish for running in RTR though

Regards