Stubby47's 4th CBC entry - The engine shed

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

This is an exercise in using Dapol kits - the engine shed (obviously) plus the front of a prairie just poking out of the doors.

The smokebox door will be open for maintenance work (not as shown).

post-7025-0-23727300-1509214733_thumb.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking at he Dapol (ex-Airfix) engine shed kit - disappointing to find the doors are some 3ft-4ft off the ground (no idea how the personnel doors is supposed to be used.  And, the diagonal supports are the 'wrong' way (according to tradition - I know there are real examples of doors hung with the diagonals pointing up to the frame).

Plus, the walls aren't quite long enough for the full 7 1/2 " length I'm intending, so a bit of re-work will be needed.  I knew the roof would be too short, but that should be an easier fix.

In keeping with some other member's ideas of restricted viewing angles, I'm considering adding a front wall to the box, with a patterned window matching those of the shed - as if the viewer was inside another building looking out.  Hopefully then I can enclose the whole scene, whilst still giving the impression it's part of a much larger complex. 

To the immediate left will be a wall, possibly with office door/windows, further back on the left will be a projecting end of a loco shed, with doors open and  the front of a loco poking out (as in the sketch above).

To the immediate right will be a pair of doors over a track, which leads across the front of the view. This will have a short projecting wall half way towards the back, with an overhead crane. Beyond the wall will be an open area, but this will not be actually visible.

post-7025-0-96259300-1509369702.gif

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Whilst hunting in the loft this morning (for the Halloween decorations for SWMBO), I also took a few moments to search for the occupation bridge for the Caravan Park cake box entry.  It remains elusive for the time being, but a made up, but badly painted, Airfix engine shed was spotted - this will be carefully de-constructed and blended into the scene outlined above. 

I know I also have an Airfix signal gantry and at least one footbridge also lurking up there - these too will be utilised. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it were my choice I'd keep a large water gun by the front door - "Trick or treat ??? - Try this for size !!"

No, the decs are to encourage the local tots to call for some sweeties... - I'll hopefully be modelling in the kitchen and repeatedly fail to hear the doorbell.

• RMweb Gold

If it were my choice I'd keep a large water gun by the front door - "Trick or treat ??? - Try this for size !!"

That reminds me of a former colleague's take on this, at the university where I used to work:

"Keep a bucket of dishwater behind the door. That's a trick."

Sounds distinctly "subtle".

Huw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

True, Neil.

I've left the back wall over long to give me a little flexibility on positioning.

Hopefully the proposed low viewing angle will help disguise the short roof pieces - I might remove the rest of the backscene above the rooflines too.

I've been looking at he Dapol (ex-Airfix) engine shed kit - disappointing to find the doors are some 3ft-4ft off the ground (no idea how the personnel doors is supposed to be used.  And, the diagonal supports are the 'wrong' way (according to tradition - I know there are real examples of doors hung with the diagonals pointing up to the frame).

Probably intended to be able to cope with grey-based triang track, still common when the kit was first introduced!

Thanks, but there won't be any trees...

Now there's an idea, have a row across the front and then form an opening with a pair of hands fixed to each side as if you are peering through a gap!!!!

No trees, not in natural form but there will be wood present no doubt......

• RMweb Gold

Some more progress.

I did look at Black Rat's idea, but found that I could just get a section of roof on the left using the wall cut to the edge of the window.

post-7025-0-53572400-1510666190_thumb.jpg

Chopping the backscene down also gives me another 5mm of roof.

post-7025-0-05114000-1510666205_thumb.jpg

The post-it note pad provides the view blocker for the wall. 

post-7025-0-17269400-1510666265_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I'd had a similar engine shed cameo idea, albeit I'd not got anywhere with actually doing anything about it. However, the twist I'd thought was to set the shed on the diagonal of the square. Idea was that too would add depth. I was thinking of a Machynlleth type scene.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stu, please put on the pony truck. I can't bear to watch that  :)

It will be added, the chassis needs painting before fixing any of the wheels on.

I'd had a similar engine shed cameo idea, albeit I'd not got anywhere with actually doing anything about it. However, the twist I'd thought was to set the shed on the diagonal of the square. Idea was that too would add depth. I was thinking of a Machynlleth type scene.

David

Go for it, it sounds interesting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As this is trying to be an 'all Airfix' entry, I did consider cutting one of my two Airfix prairies (rtr version) that don't run that well, but it seemed a little extreme and not in the spirit of kit/scratch building.

The curve of the running plate above is not a result of the camera... Hopefully when it's all glued together this will be resolved.