The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

"It's NOT a bargain" thread -post your complaints here!

leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Sorry we already have a thread going about ‘non bargains’.......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22361-olivias-trains/?fromsearch=1

This one also runs close for non-bargains.......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125236-bargain-hunters-mark-2/

:O

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

All that stuff about "Bargain Hunters" missed the point. These are the real bargain Hunters:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Limited edition for General Motors. Twenty quid. Not made in China either. :jester:

Rated craftsmanship/clever with a huge groan on the side! Edited by leopardml2341

I would suggest that we have a separate "bargain twitchers*" thread, for those who want to leech off other people's helpfulness without any extraneous distractions.

* From the birdwatching term: "Twitchers are only interested in adding to the list of rare birds which they have seen. With their intelligence network, the are ready to set out at the drop of a hat at any time of the day or night to travel large distances for the prospect of seeing a migrant lesser spotted scrub warbler, or whatever. This poor bird, not normally a visitor to the UK...finds itself...surrounded and harried at every turn by hundreds of anoraks sporting high-powered telescopes; like a horde of press photographers fighting for a better view...twitchers are highly stressed, nervous individuals. The very mention of some exotic avian delight...sends them into paroxisms."  I think this is a reasonable analogue to the behaviour of those who lurk waiting for an update to the bargain hunters thread in the hope of being able to satisfy both the acquisitive and the miserly urges which are forever in conflict within them.  (I'm convinced that there must be some kind of psychological explanation for their lack of tolerance for perfectly normal forum behaviour.)

Edited by ejstubbs

I will say that the complaints that someone was raising about a dammaged item with a rotting chasis was not a bargin, but to me it is. If aquired cheap enough a loco suffering from the rot can be used for repowering older models, or even repaired with new parts (I love Heljan locos with defects).

Not 100% sure but I don't think' Made in the UK' any longer - China and Eastern Europe

Not made in China either.

........Eventually, alternative supply sources were sought and developed in Europe and the Far East and plans were made to exit the Dumfries plant and relocate the company HQ to Edinburgh.[23] This move was finally made in September 2008. The Chinese made gumboots are visually similar to the original Scottish made gumboots apart from the addition of an internal seam. Some manufacturing efficiencies have also been made including the removal of the latex dipping process, making the boots virtually identical to those from many other manufacturers........

Sad - another empty Scottish Factory.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

Not 100% sure but I don't think' Made in the UK' any longer - China and Eastern Europe

........Eventually, alternative supply sources were sought and developed in Europe and the Far East and plans were made to exit the Dumfries plant and relocate the company HQ to Edinburgh.[23] This move was finally made in September 2008. The Chinese made gumboots are visually similar to the original Scottish made gumboots apart from the addition of an internal seam. Some manufacturing efficiencies have also been made including the removal of the latex dipping process, making the boots virtually identical to those from many other manufacturers........

Sad - another empty Scottish Factory.

There have been numerous complaints about the Chinese-made product - the formulation was changed to a less flexible one, so that you could kill a pair of boots within six months - premature wear and cracking. They are absolutely no good for any sustained / regular use.

Nowadays I only wear the old Scottish-made ones, or the somewhat better-made Le Chameaus.

• 2 months later...

Hello Horsetan

I am just catching up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5315699/Hunter-slammed-peeling-boots-customer-service.html

There have been numerous complaints about the Chinese-made product - the formulation was changed to a less flexible one, so that you could kill a pair of boots within six months - premature wear and cracking. They are absolutely no good for any sustained / regular use.

Nowadays I only wear the old Scottish-made ones, or the somewhat better-made Le Chameaus.

Quite sad but exactly what might have been expected.

Ray