TTS Diesel Decoders

Hilux5972

It amazes me that people are prepared to install full fat sound by way of adaptive engineering of models and finding the best speaker but carp about TTS not being bespoke plug and play for every model in the catalogue.

The generic instructions clearly state that some models will be a simple installation and others will require modelling skills including if you want to fit your own speaker some soldering will be required.

Even if as discussed plugs and sockets were fitted it wouldnt help threading wires through that Class 67 above.

Do these people realise how many retro kit variants there would have to be to satisfy the off chance of you buying one for your unique model. It all boils down to added cost and this precludes their production line even making the speaker wires longer and sure as eggs is eggs what is too short for one man is too long for another.

We are supposed to be modellers, so start modelling. Fitting TTS is not much more difficult than fitting a decoder and a lot easier than fitting SMD directional lights.

Rambling and poorly stated as I dont have time to precis it, but I feel you know what I mean.

Rob

• Like 1

It amazes me that people are prepared to install full fat sound by way of adaptive engineering of models and finding the best speaker but carp about TTS not being bespoke plug and play for every model in the catalogue.

The generic instructions clearly state that some models will be a simple installation and others will require modelling skills including if you want to fit your own speaker some soldering will be required.

Even if as discussed plugs and sockets were fitted it wouldnt help threading wires through that Class 67 above.

Do these people realise how many retro kit variants there would have to be to satisfy the off chance of you buying one for your unique model. It all boils down to added cost and this precludes their production line even making the speaker wires longer and sure as eggs is eggs what is too short for one man is too long for another.

We are supposed to be modellers, so start modelling. Fitting TTS is not much more difficult than fitting a decoder and a lot easier than fitting SMD directional lights.

Rambling and poorly stated as I dont have time to precis it, but I feel you know what I mean.

Rob

I don't think anyone is 'carping on' in the sense that they are dissatisfied with tts (well, maybe some are), but more in the sense that Hornby seem a little inconsistent with how they supply them.  It would seem that the tts chips are indeed bespoke for each tts loco that Hornby supply and basing your choice on your experience with a previous chip may be unwise.  As i have found, a 37 has a speaker enclosure, the 47 does not.    Furthermore, if you browse hattons, rails etc, you'll see images for the chips and speakers and yet what you actually end up with may be quite different.   It not a big deal, just a niggly frustration that could have been better ironed out.

I could be wrong but I think I read that Hornby said that locos made after the introduction of TTS would be easy to fit it to as they would be built with retrofit catered for... of course I may have dreamt that as I do eat a fair bit of cheese.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the difference is undoubtedly massive the place where it will be used surely has some relevance.  For use in an exhibition hall I am sure the better sound would be advantageous but in my 12' by 8' shed even the sound of the TTS as delivered is loud enough and to my ears good enough.

I know there was a thread recently about to have sound or not and I know it is a topic that has a massive divide in opinion.  For me I like it BUT by the same token in my shed it will not be on very long and I certainly would not want the 5 or 6 locos I will have on the layout all throbbing away at any one time as it would become intrusive and just a cacophony rather than the sound of any one loco,

• RMweb Gold

It isn't just about volume though is it Richard?  If it just sounds tinny then it sounds awful.  Some sounds seem to travel and get irritating.  I remember when the Class 20 sounds came out I loved them and had a pair but every show you walked into you could hear one whistling away from the entrance door no matter how far away it was.  Mind you that was mainly because they were turned up to ear bleeding MkII!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, no it’s not just about volume, what I meant was that the higher volume isn’t the only benefit. These speakers can be fitted to a model for the better sound quality. They would still benefit from better clarity and better frequency response, but then they can be turned down to make them quieter and less over powering.

Richard

It is another skill set to add to the countless others that we have (should have) as modellers though isn't it? 

Any fool can open up a loco plug a plug into a socket rest a speaker somewhere and say they have installed DCC sound.  I know because I did last week!  Trick is of course knowing where to mount it and how for the best result.  That is where the threads like this and the help from people like yourself and pauliebanger is are invaluable and we can learn better ways of doing something.  Like for instance the business about using two speakers wired in series as opposed to the huge thing that comes as standard with the TTS.

I neither need nor want high volume but of course still need it to sound as authentic as possible even if I will turn it off after five minutes in the shed.

• Like 1

The thing is you can either have your loco's at full volume, decrease the level of sound to your liking based on the size of the room or mute it completely thus you have those 3 options with DCC Sound which is brilliant.

DCC just gives you so many options to play with even beyond the sound aspect and there are lot of good people on here sharing their knowledge and experiences to help you and me along.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Has anyone actually purchased & installed the new Hornby TTS sound Decoder for the class 47?

I have a couple of Bachmann loco's waiting to be fitted, but I have heard murmurings about the quality.....

How realistic is the sound?

I realise it won't compare to the 'top of the range' sound fitted loco's but are these a reasonable representation of what a class 47 should sound like?

I look forward to your feedback.

Hi All,

Has anyone actually purchased & installed the new Hornby TTS sound Decoder for the class 47?

I have a couple of Bachmann loco's waiting to be fitted, but I have heard murmurings about the quality.....

How realistic is the sound?

I realise it won't compare to the 'top of the range' sound fitted loco's but are these a reasonable representation of what a class 47 should sound like?

I look forward to your feedback.

I had two fail and sent back to hattons.  That was out of eight.  Comes with a massive speaker that won't fit into a Bachmann 47.  With a working decoder and a decent speaker, sounds are fine to my ear.  A tad on the noisy side maybe

I've had quite a few, sound wise they aren't as good as the top names obviously but they are good for the money. I haven't had any reliability problems yet but it seems that others have.

As mentioned they come with a 28mm round speaker which won't fit, I would suggest something like this because it fits in the space and sounds good.attachicon.gifs379048454436072664_p77_i2_w2560.jpg

Richard

Hi Richard, would your 1 inch square mega bass speaker fit in the Bachmann 47?

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

I've had quite a few, sound wise they aren't as good as the top names obviously but they are good for the money. I haven't had any reliability problems yet but it seems that others have.

As mentioned they come with a 28mm round speaker which won't fit, I would suggest something like this because it fits in the space and sounds good.attachicon.gifs379048454436072664_p77_i2_w2560.jpg

Richard

I fitted one of these in a vitrains 47 with a TTS decoder last night, a massive difference over the supplied speaker.

Craig

• Like 1

Hi,

Has anybody one fitted the TTS Sound Decoder to a Class 60? I've just tried and I can't get the body fully down with the speaker fitted under the silencer. What is the preferred solution for fitting the supplied speaker?

Simon

Hi,

Has anybody one fitted the TTS Sound Decoder to a Class 60? I've just tried and I can't get the body fully down with the speaker fitted under the silencer. What is the preferred solution for fitting the supplied speaker?

Simon

The speaker is too big.  You'll need to change it.  The tts speaker supplied for the 67 and the 31 fit nicely, but for the 37,47 and 60, you'll need to downsize

The speaker is too big.  You'll need to change it.  The tts speaker supplied for the 67 and the 31 fit nicely, but for the 37,47 and 60, you'll need to downsize

So out of curiosity the Hornby Class 60 TTS is supplied with a speaker that doesn't fit inside their own Class 60 chassis?

Found this out too this evening trying to fit a tts decoder into a Hornby 60. Can't now get the body to sit on properly. Annoyingly whilst doing it I've managed to break off a set of horns, a bogie

ladder, some underframe detailing and the lights no longer work. Wondering if it's worth it.

• 3 months later...

Do you think Hornby will ever make TTS Decoders for non-Hornby locos? Would love a Class 150 TTS decoder and i'm sure many others would love others!

Put it in the Wishlist section on the Hornby forum.