TTS Diesel Decoders

Hilux5972

Although the TTS decoder motor circuit is self protecting the function outputs are not so if you overload on lights, etc then its toast.

I got lucky running 5 leds on a Class 37 whereby it started acting strange, so I limited the lighting current and fortunately it saved the day and the decoder.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Indeed they are as I have just found trying to fit one in my Vitrains 37.  As luck would have it by cutting off the lugs I have managed to stick it onto the roof with double sided tape.

Incidentally I also had to change the Cv's to get it to runs low without jerking and it worked

Going back to the OP just be aware that some adaptors only carry over the required 8-pins (e.g. Hornby Sapphire harness) in case you wanted to use the full 21-pin set e.g. the reverse situation of a 21-pin decoder plugged into an 8-pin socket.

Rob

Just a word of warning if you intend to use these on Heljan locos. I tried chipping a Class 47 and the current draw fried the chip. No problems so far with Bachmann 37's and 47's

I have the Heljan Class 47 'North Star' 4794.

I fitted the TTS decoder, and, after a circuit the sound started to distort.

Taken off the track for a short time restored it to normal, but then it repeated the process.

Is this a sign of overload, or just another faulty decoder. My Hornby Elite also had trouble reading the CVs.

Is this a sign of overloading. I would hate to fit a new chip and damage it. A bit expensive.

It has been happily running on a standard R8249 decoder for years.

I have just measured the current values.

Heljan Class 47 shunting speed 0.24A       Full on wheel slipping 0.6A  attempted stall failed, could get enough grip on rails.

The loco never went faster than shunt when trying out decoder sounds.

Edited by STRAT'71

Indeed they are as I have just found trying to fit one in my Vitrains 37.  As luck would have it by cutting off the lugs I have managed to stick it onto the roof with double sided tape.

Incidentally I also had to change the Cv's to get it to runs low without jerking and it worked

Having had a vitrains class 37 cook a couple of decoders, I am curious if you hit any problems. I must admit I am hesitant to risk one of the TTS decoders on mine, so would really appreciate knowing how you get on with it and which cv settings you changed.

Thanks

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

At the moment Stephen it literally was fit it and test it on the test track then it is put away safely in it's box until the weather improves so it can be run on the layout in the 'Summer' House!  There is a heater in there but I am not inclined to play trains that much at the moment so am spending my modelling time building buildings.

Talks of being warmer next week so intend to go and see how it runs on the layout so I will report back then.  Having said that it is an end to end so won't be running hard or long.

Oh I didn’t know that Rob. Can you recommend one that would be suitable? 21pin is new territory for me. Only ever had 8pin before

ESU and Bachmann as pictured - one allows you to plug an 8-pin decoder into a 21-pin loco and the other allows you to plug in a 21-pin decoder by way of hard wiring to any loco.

I have the Heljan Class 47 'North Star' 4794.

I fitted the TTS decoder, and, after a circuit the sound started to distort.

It has been happily running on a standard R8249 decoder for years.

I have just measured the current values.

Heljan Class 47 shunting speed 0.24A       Full on wheel slipping 0.6A  attempted stall failed, could get enough grip on rails.[/size]

The loco never went faster than shunt when trying out decoder sounds.[/size]

R8249 and TTS both have a motor limit of 500mA constant with a slightly higher peak value shared by the functions.

Rob

post-7193-0-35176000-1516384643_thumb.jpeg

Oh I didn’t know that Rob. Can you recommend one that would be suitable? 21pin is new territory for me. Only ever had 8pin before

You may also want to check out DCC Concepts 21 to 8 PIN adapter 5 pack for only £16.95 thus seems like really good value from a decent company, link below.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/21-to-8-pin-adapter-5-pack/

I've also got a load of Bachmann diesels which require sound and have given up on installing £120 plus full fat sound decoders/speakers (prices are way to high) which would cost me a fortune thus I am going to embrace Hornby's TTS chips for my 47's, 66's & 37's.

Sorry, just realised you're in NZ thus ignore the UK price.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

R8249 and TTS both have a motor limit of 500mA constant with a slightly higher peak value shared by the functions.

Rob

So it would be risky fitting the TTS decoder? 

I have refitted the R8249 and ordered a Bachmann Class 47 to use the TTS decoder.

I hope that works out ok.

Ive put a 20 TTS chip in a Bachmann 20. Runs great no jerkiness at all

I'm considering this with my Bachmann Class 20.  The mechanism on mine isn't perfect and benefits from the back EMF sensing in the decoder, so hopefully the TTS decoder will do this just as well.

With the 20 or other Bachmann diesels, there isn't a lot of empty space inside, how did you fit the decoder and the speaker?

I've been fitting tts chips over the last few nights. The 67 chips come with square speakers, the 37 with big round speakers (too big to fit into a Bachmann body) and the 47 with a bare speaker and no enclosure. One 47 chip won't take a new address, another behaves erratically with the motor lurching into life on its own. Back to hattons....

Edited by Ouroborus

I've been fitting tts chips over the last few nights. The 67 chips come with square speakers, the 37 with big round speakers (too big to fit into a Bachmann body) and the 47 with a bare speaker and no enclosure. One 47 chip won't take a new address, another behaves erratically with the motor lurching into life on its own. Back to hattons....

Useful info, I suppose you get what you pay for but hopefully the 47's lack of enclosure is a blip rather than the norm but is this evident in all your 47 TTS packages?

I'm no expert on DCC sound fitting but does anyone know why the speaker sizes or shape are different to each other depending which Class of TTS sound you get?...I'm talking diesel only here.

The fact the Class 37 round speaker doesn't fit inside a Bachmann 37 due to apparent oversize is quite troublesome but any feedback from other users would be welcome.

Edited by classy52

Because they

Useful info, I suppose you get what you pay for but hopefully the 47's lack of enclosure is a blip rather than the norm but is this evident in all your 47 TTS packages?

I'm no expert on DCC sound fitting but does anyone know why the speaker sizes or shape are different to each other depending which Class of TTS sound you get?...I'm talking diesel only here.

The fact the Class 37 round speaker doesn't fit inside a Bachmann 37 due to apparent oversize is quite troublesome but any feedback from other users would be welcome.

Because they are designed and intended to be retro fitted to Hornby models. Not so troublesome, really. Use matching decoder and model, no problem.

Use the decoder for a different purpose - sort the problems out for yourself.

Paul

• Like 1

Because they

Because they are designed and intended to be retro fitted to Hornby models. Not so troublesome, really. Use matching decoder and model, no problem.

Use the decoder for a different purpose - sort the problems out for yourself.

Paul

Fair enough, you would assume the Hornby brains trust would think outside the box and try to cater for as many non-Hornby loco's as possible by using standard speaker sizes/shapes (I think it's called market research) and not just for their own products and make more sales/money at the same time, but hey what do I know :scratchhead:

• Like 1