Tests with my new 3D printer

IPA is hard to come buy in cheap bulk quantities here in Oz so Methylated spirits has been suggested by users as an adequate alternative - has anyone tried it?

Duncan - nice work. A quick question...  how did you model the bricks on the chimney - individually placed/ copied and pasted or does the software you use have the capability of covering a face in a brick pattern? I've been trying various packages - Sketchup, Fusion 360 and Blender -  in an attempt to find something that will simply cover a large area in a brick or similar pattern without having to  create a brick and then copying and pasting it all over the wall.  Sketchup has a couple of plug-ins )une free, one $29)  that come close but are limited in the brick bond, and don't seen to wrap around edges.

I'm unsure if you can cover an existing face with a pattern but I know you can take an existing pattern and extend it in Fusion 360. Pattern on a path?

Maybe this method could be used? http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-101C0598-F00A-46EA-8319-32BDA7483C0B

IPA seems to be best purchased off Ebay for Australians: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Pure-100-Artists-Choice-5-Litre-5L-Cleaner-Isopropanol/332666025894?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by Hyper Aus
  • Like 1

IPA is hard to come buy in cheap bulk quantities here in Oz so Methylated spirits has been suggested by users as an adequate alternative - has anyone tried it?

Duncan - nice work. A quick question...  how did you model the bricks on the chimney - individually placed/ copied and pasted or does the software you use have the capability of covering a face in a brick pattern? I've been trying various packages - Sketchup, Fusion 360 and Blender -  in an attempt to find something that will simply cover a large area in a brick or similar pattern without having to  create a brick and then copying and pasting it all over the wall.  Sketchup has a couple of plug-ins )une free, one $29)  that come close but are limited in the brick bond, and don't seen to wrap around edges.

Thanks Monkeys.

I did the bricks individually, which wasn't as hard as it sounds.

From a single brick, I cut-n-pasted to get a row of bricks, then cnp'd 4 rows to get a square ring of bricks (being careful of the corner bond), then cnp'd that ring and flipped it over to get the "alternate" row of bricks, then stuck these 2 rings together and cnp'd that to get a vertical stack of rings which make up the body of the chimney.

One nice feature in TinkerCad which helps you do this is that if you cut-n-paste using ctrl-C / ctrl-D and move the pasted object, every subsequent ctrl-C / ctrl-D creates a new copy of the object and moves it the same amount automatically. This makes it easy to create repeating rows or columns of objects.

I did save the intermediate stages so I have a library of brick rows, rings and stacks for use in other models.

Although the individual bricks are spaced a scale 6mm apart, they are all embedded in a block which forms the core of the chimney and also the mortar in the brick joints. I hollowed out the core to save resin.

In hindsight, the scale 6mm joints are too small and don't get printed with enough width or depth. Next time, I'd make them a scale 12mm (half inch) wide and 12mm deep.

Hope this helps.

Real bricks are 10mm apart so the 6mm was always too small in any case.

Modern bricks are 215mm x 65mm face with a 10mm joint. Giving a 75mm course.

Older bricks back in the dark ages did vary in face size a little but it is safer to just stick with the standard brick dimensions for modelling purposes.

The chimneys do look great though!!

Edited by RBE

Thanks Monkeys.

I did the bricks individually, which wasn't as hard as it sounds.

From a single brick, I cut-n-pasted to get a row of bricks, then cnp'd 4 rows to get a square ring of bricks (being careful of the corner bond), then cnp'd that ring and flipped it over to get the "alternate" row of bricks, then stuck these 2 rings together and cnp'd that to get a vertical stack of rings which make up the body of the chimney.

One nice feature in TinkerCad which helps you do this is that if you cut-n-paste using ctrl-C / ctrl-D and move the pasted object, every subsequent ctrl-C / ctrl-D creates a new copy of the object and moves it the same amount automatically. This makes it easy to create repeating rows or columns of objects.

I did save the intermediate stages so I have a library of brick rows, rings and stacks for use in other models.

Although the individual bricks are spaced a scale 6mm apart, they are all embedded in a block which forms the core of the chimney and also the mortar in the brick joints. I hollowed out the core to save resin.

In hindsight, the scale 6mm joints are too small and don't get printed with enough width or depth. Next time, I'd make them a scale 12mm (half inch) wide and 12mm deep.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Duncan, I did try a version of that on a simple hut building in Sketchup but could not get the resulting structrure to create a file that would be able to be 3D printed - there were open faces or similar I guess that prevented me from getting a watertight result.

I know sketchup allegedly  isn't the best for producing printable files but I was hoping to get it working on Sketchup because I have a standalone PC here at work - an insane Alienware machine with a 16GB graphics card that I got given and have no work-related function for but is good for mucking around on at lunchtime and when the  boss is out. .

Being standalone I am limited to products that don't need an internet connection to work with, which so far I have discovered  is Sketchup and Blender .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Monkeys

I use Sketchup for a lot of quick 3D modeling.

after exporting the file as a STL I then open it in Netfabb (there is a free version)

https://www.autodesk.com/products/netfabb/free-trial

this repairs the file and allows you to open the flie in your slicer programme .

by the way there is a plugin for Sketchup up call OOBS that allows you to create  all sorts of surface effects.

I have used it for my latest layout Kyle of Lochalsh.

Here are my roof sections.

post-9726-0-44837600-1534706116_thumb.jpg

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/oob-layouts

All the best

Bob

• Like 3

I have bveen palying around with OOB plug in and theres one called Floor Generataor that does a similar .

job. Still trying to figure out how best how  to use these new tools - I'll probably end up doing walls and bricks etc on my laser cutter and keep the 3D printer for the '3D' stuff - window and  frames, doors, guttering/downpipes and so on. 

Hi Duncan

sorry for the late reply no internet I printed them Flat on the build plate face up no supports

I could send the sketch up files or the STL's to you if  you want them.

PM me

All the best

Bob

That's interesting.

With Monocure Rapid Grey I always get expansion of the bottom few layers - the ones with extra curing time.

Hopefully this doesn't affect the frames too much.

PM sent.

Yes I always get extra thickness due to the extra exposure of the first few layers. I'm using both rapid red (which seems a bit flexible to me off the bed) and wanhao black which is a pain to get to print right but is very strong once cured.

Hi Duncan

sorry these were printed on my Prusa i3 MK2

I havent got into the Photon yet apart from one test peice that came out  great

all the best

Bob

Ah! I assumed you were using the Anycubic Photon as well as me and RBE.

It will be interesting to print the same window frame on my Photon then, if you could share the STL.

I printed one of Bob's window STL files on my Photon.

I needed to angle it and add supports so that it didn't distort where it touched the build plate.

post-2189-0-15557900-1535667259_thumb.jpg

When I removed it from the supports and started to clean it up, it came out OK, but probably not as good as on Bob's filament printer.

post-2189-0-59313400-1535667260_thumb.jpg

Hi Duncan

here is the test I did on the photon.

It came out beautifully.

cured and painted no  sanding needed

Bob

It looks great apart from the roof?

Is that the stepping that it creates or is it a low resolution or is that stepping in the CAD or?

I'm interested as I'd like to buy one and maybe do locomotives but that stepping there looks like a normal FFF machine. :-/

The rest of it however looks lush, almost perfect.