LSWR/SR stone wagon load

Coromar

Hi All,

I have built a LSWR stone wagon, and I wish to load it up.

Would it have several large pieces, or would it have dressed stone pieces?

How were they tied down (if they were)?

Any ideas would be great.

Best wishes,

Paul

One would imagine they were not tied down. Unless odd shaped and were likely to rock around.

I've seen pictures somewhere of loaded wagons at Swanage.

Ten tons of stone blocks loose in a wagon sounds like an invitation to an accident. Were they not at least spragged to stop them sliding?

• RMweb Premium

You'll find some useful material here http://www.geoffkirby.co.uk/PortlandArchivePictures/html/rail.html. No pictures of LSWR stone wagons but several of the type of load they would have carried, loaded on quarry railway wagons prior to transhipment. A major part of the traffic for the LSWR wagons was Portland stone for building in London.

• RMweb Gold

It might help to see the wagon the OP is referring to.

I think that cut stone blocks would be loaded onto either a flat wagon or a low-sided wagon. And the stones would need to be strapped down. I think that rope would risk damaging the stone.

I too have seen a photo of Burt's yard in Swanage. Can't find it now but I think that was ordinary mineral wagons carrying rubble (i.e. the remains of the stone after cutting).

I wonder if they used a similar technique to that used when conveying ingot-moulds; a bed of ballast or similar upon which the load was carefully placed. The L&SWR wagons for stone traffic had very low sides; I believe Cambrian do a model.

In much more recent times, the big blocks of limestone for the breakwater at Port Talbot and the Thames Barrier were not roped, but simply placed on the wagon floor; the Plate wagons used similarly had low sides.

I wonder if they used a similar technique to that used when conveying ingot-moulds; a bed of ballast or similar upon which the load was carefully placed. The L&SWR wagons for stone traffic had very low sides; I believe Cambrian do a model.

In much more recent times, the big blocks of limestone for the breakwater at Port Talbot and the Thames Barrier were not roped, but simply placed on the wagon floor; the Plate wagons used similarly had low sides.

They don't rope large blocks on road transport either. I agree the low sided stone wagons where for the larger pieces.

Googling Portland stone wagons takes me to USA sites !

If this type of Google response becomes a problem, simply include UK as part of the search. E.g. 'Portland stone wagon UK' avoids all of the Oregon irrelevances.

Dave

There is a photo of a stone block train from the De-Lank quarry passing wenfordbridge dries. The wagons all seam to be LSWR 3plank drop sides (10 in total) with a brake van on each end.

It's plate 64 in the branch lines around Bodmin book.

Marc

It might help to see the wagon the OP is referring to.

I think that cut stone blocks would be loaded onto either a flat wagon or a low-sided wagon. And the stones would need to be strapped down. I think that rope would risk damaging the stone.

I too have seen a photo of Burt's yard in Swanage. Can't find it now but I think that was ordinary mineral wagons carrying rubble (i.e. the remains of the stone after cutting).

Where ropes might damage a load, and conversely, where the ropes might be damaged by the load, hessian sacks, filled with straw, were placed between the two. More recently, the bags became polypropylene, but the stuffing remained straw.

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the single stone block on the wagon, the smaller one, we know the wheelbase is 9’, allow a block length of 8’, although it looks more. It fits comfortably in a body width of 7’5”, so allow a block width of 6’. At a rough guess the block height is half the length, say 4’. This gives you a block volume of 192 cu. ft., and if you take limestone density as 171 lb/ cu. foot, (Portland might be a bit more) it comes out that the block weighs 32,832 lb., or 14.66 tons, on a ten ton wagon, so be careful how big you make your blocks.

• RMweb Gold

I dont know how the weight of Pennant Sandstone compares but the photos I have seen of the stone carried on the Forest of Dean lines looked as thogh the blocks were a little smaller.

Don

I don't want to be over picky, but in that first photo the loading is very uneven. Most of the weight is over one axle. I wonder if the springs and journals on the full-size wagon would tolerate that.

When I was trained to load wagons I seem to remember being told that for four wheel wagons the load ratio over the two axles should not exceed 2:1, for bogie wagons it was 3:1 over the two bogies.

• 3 weeks later...