Ivatt Class 2MT Darlington chimney drawings\ dimensions

Argos

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I am looking to model one of the Ivatt 2MTs based at Oban in the early sixties. Ideally 46468 as there are some nice colour pictures of her published. Including a nice red number plate which contrasts nicely with the scruffy unlined black finish.

Being built in Darlington it sports one of that work's tall chimneys.

I am modelling in 2mmFS so my starting point is the Farish model with one of Nigel Hunt's conversion kits.

Having been on the hunt for quite a while I have failed to turn up any drawings or dimensions of this chimney.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks Argos

• RMweb Gold

You could well be right Jason.

According to Wikipedia all the Standard 2MTs were built at Darlington and had a tall chimney.

Now all I'll I need to do is fine a drawing for a standard 2mt.

All the drawings I have are for the earlier Ivatt version.

Edited by Argos

Apologies for the delay... it was Blackgates who do drawings for the Ivatt 2 tank,but it does have the shorter chimney.  I also can't see anything in the NRM drawing list for the standard 2, but that doesn't mean I haven't missed it!

http://www.blackgates.co.uk/drawings.html#Locomotive%20Drawings.

Edited to add: HMRS do have one listed, but no details as to which of the three chimney options it refers to! Also the lack of price makes me assume it isnt currently available, but may be an avenue worth pursuing.

https://hmrs.org.uk/drawings/chimney-for-class-2-2-6-2-tank-locomotive-designed-by-h-ivatt.html

Also see this blog entry, which confirms a general lack of availability (4 years ago) but he may have the sketch/dimensions still?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/27/entry-14868-ivatt-2mt/

Edited by Jub45565

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

I checked that site out a while back, the reference to the Standard 2MT drawings is a Modelling Railways Illustrated in 2001 which I've struggled find.

I seem to recall the magazine had ceased to be published by then?

The LMS locos will be the Ivatt versions with the shorter chimney.

That is certainly what is illustrated in the April 82 Railway Modeller.

Unless someone can advise otherwise?

• RMweb Gold

Not sure this is quite what you are looking for. It's from an LMS book detailing special features on class 2 2-6-0 freight engines and class 2 2-6-2 passenger tank engines (2F & 2P), but being dated June 1947, only refers to 6400-6419 & 1200-1209.

post-5674-0-12315700-1544740994_thumb.jpg

Not sure this is quite what you are looking for. It's from an LMS book detailing special features on class 2 2-6-0 freight engines and class 2 2-6-2 passenger tank engines (2F & 2P), but being dated June 1947, only refers to 6400-6419 & 1200-1209.

Too early for a Doncaster chimney which I think dates from c1952

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

Penrith is correct the Darlington chimneys were not standard in the Ivatt/LMS design so are not shown on any drawings I have seen.

That's a very nice loco Leander and displays the taller chimney to good effect.

At least I am not alone in my search the letters page of this month's Railway Modeller contains a request for Standard 2MT drawings.

Was there not a set of Drawings in the mag Model Railways of the early 1970's?

They did an in-depth article and good drawings of the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 and I would expect it to include variations. They did an occasional feature on a single class, I recall Buckjumper J69's was another.

Tony

Was there not a set of Drawings in the mag Model Railways of the early 1970's?

They did an in-depth article and good drawings of the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 and I would expect it to include variations. They did an occasional feature on a single class, I recall Buckjumper J69's was another.

Tony

Model Railways 1 & 3/73 - photos, but no drawings, of Doncaster chimney.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

What you're looking for is something like this which was an option in the Comet 2MT 2-6-0 kit. This was fitted to a Hornby model in EM gauge. Weathering and photo by Barry Oliver.

If this was a Comet Models item, maybe Wizard Models - the current owners of Comet - can assist.

In fact - the kit https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lms-ivatt-class-2-2-6-0-kit-lk16/ is still available, but the chimney on its own https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lmsbr-ivatt-class-2-tall-chimney-ls48/  is out of stock.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John,

I'm modelling in 2mms scale so the Wizard model kit isn't a solution.

I'm a bit loathed to by the kit just to dimensions the chimney.

I'll finish up with a model of a model and that may include some compromised dimensions.

Still worth following up if all else fails though.

Edited by Argos