4mm lamp irons, how do you do yours?

• RMweb Gold

Starting to think about the finishing touches to the 2-8-2 and as I've cut off the moulded lanp iron from the smokebox door and will need to add them to the front footplate I'm wondering what is the best way of forming them from scratch?

I'm sure there is a "standard" method, it's just not come my way before. The best ones I've done were the ones on the Craftsman DELTIC conversion, but they were made using etched strips.

• RMweb Gold

I usually make my own, although I have used the excellent Masokits ones in the past as well. Roger Smith also does some etched ones.

I normally use 0.75mm brass strip from Eileens bent to shape. If they're not in a vulnerable position, I just superglue them in place, otherwise you can solder some 0.3mm wire carefully to the back, drill a corresponding hole, and glue them in - that's similar to the principle used by Masokits anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I have used the finer gauge of florists' wire beaten flat (takes a little practice to get the width consistent) and then cut leaving a section of the original wire which acts as a shank that can be superglued or soldered into the loco body.

Similar method is also ideal for making mounting brackets for smokebox door numberplates so that they can be fixed standing slightly proud of the smokebox door 'just like the real ones'.

For many years I have used staples cut to size and bent up and either soldered or glued into place. I find these stronger than the etched variety and consistent in thickness and width. They also fit neatly into the base of cast lamps, head or tail.

4mm lamp irons, how do you do yours?...

Most reluctantly!

To date I've used etched components and found them both fiddly to use and fairly fragile. They are also a "PITA" to install and keep in place (although the other posters here have given me some good ideas to improve this state of affairs).

I'd like to see a better etched design as currently the brass etchings that I have in my Box O' Bits have a very small footprint when folded up - which makes attachment challenging when brass on brass and near impossible when attaching to plastic (even with [or perhaps despite] superglue)

If a lamp is to be placed permanently, then I don't bother with a lamp iron

F

Bent staples, very strong will make a hole in an unwisely placed finger.

If on the footplating, hole drilled through and soldered or glued underneath.

On vertical surfaces, smokeboxes, tender backs, etc. folded into an 'L' shape with a tail, the double fold glued or soldered into a hole again.

Guest Max Stafford

I've used Mainly Trains etched lamp irons before, though I've got to say, some of these appear grossly over-scale for 4mm. Many look like they're intended for S or O.

Dave.

I've used Mainly Trains etched lamp irons before, though I've got to say, some of these appear grossly over-scale for 4mm. Many look like they're intended for S or O.

Dave.

I've also used them and would have to agree with Dave. Its a shame because otherwise the're a well thought out product.

Dave.

Most of the Mainly trains 'own' range is a bit out, the 9ft brake gear that is more like 9ft 6 is a prime example!

hmm, never though about staples

Personally I'd avoid them as they are rather overscale.

I use 0,75 phosphor bronze strip from Mainly Trains and that looks rather nice.

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I realise this is an ancient thread, but I prefer to put all info on a subject in one place - therefore does anyone these days make plastic moulded lamp irons? I need some for a Midland brake van.

Not heard of any, but perhaps someone could now commission some 3-D printed ones?

I bought a box of "bambi" staples today and they are probably as fine as brass etches, though of course, not at all the same shape. I think they will do the job nicely. On a Facebook page someone raised the interesting point that being steel they'll attract micro-magnets embedded in scale lamps... which is an idea that is wonderfully appealing.

If I go for ModelU lamps which must be around 2mm square to be scale size, how small are micro-magnets? I already have some 2mm dia ones which are the smallest I've found. Has anyone come across smaller magnets?

The idea of actually fitting the correct tail lamps to brake vans and train indicator lamps to locos - and to be able to change them around for each working - in 4mm scale no less - has so much appeal (to me anyway).

Archived