GCR 'Barnum' Open Brake Third coach

coachmann

After I saw a shot of a 'Barnum' Open Brake Third coach crossing Saddleworth Viaduct, I just had to add one to the 'fleet' one day. This picture shows 45708 'Resolution' working a Hull-Liverpool Lime Street express. The Delph Branch curves away to the left. Photo by Jim Davenport (Brian Green collection)...

post-6680-021473600 1292770432_thumb.jpg

Prototype...

These and the matching open thirds were most unusual vehicles and owned more to USA practice than the British school of design. Built at Dukinfield in 1910 for excursion use, alterations made by the LNER included fitting sliding toplight windows and roof destination board brackets.

4mm scale Model...

A box of etched parts arrived a few weeks ago. On examining the etchings it was clear I should enlist the assistance of Adrian Rowland to draw up the end door commode handles drawn on CAD. As there was no floor in the kit (!!!) Adrian cut one from 18thou nickel silver. These were the sides as supplied. I removed the parts shaded in green by scoring the half-etch line until it could be easily broken off without distorting the sides proper The top fold-over was also scored deeper at this time as it would be bent over at right-angles later...

post-6680-014945600 1292770711_thumb.jpg

I set the sides aside while the ends were folded up. Again it is best to scribe the fold lines before attempting any right-angle bends. A critisism levelled at Jidenko kits was the poor relation between tongue and slot joins (amongst other things). This is clearly shown here where the draughtsmanship was poor, and has not been upgraded by Falcon Brass. I cut off the tongues....

post-6680-045743500 1292771026_thumb.jpgpost-6680-095698800 1292771024_thumb.jpg

Here we see the floor, folded up ends, vestibule partitions and sides...

post-6680-069967700 1292771114_thumb.jpg

Slots were cut out of the floor as shown....

post-6680-086106200 1292771111_thumb.jpgpost-6680-014607300 1292771189_thumb.jpg

The ends were then soldered to the floor and the vestibule partitions added. After this, the top was folded over at right angles to brace the sides.

post-6680-020101100 1292771258_thumb.jpgpost-6680-067159600 1292771259_thumb.jpg

The coach sides were then soldered to the partitions. I should add at this point that I had set aside a plastic roof for this coach and trimmed the ends to the new profile, If I were building another, I would fit an MJT LNER roof.

post-6680-042271900 1292771339_thumb.jpgpost-6680-085764700 1292771340_thumb.jpg

The blanks filling the luggage door openings were removed with a knife and strips of 22thou brass were soldered inside the openings to give the sides the required depth before attaching the doors....

post-6680-079528800 1292771649_thumb.jpgpost-6680-031000100 1292771651_thumb.jpg

After this the end detail was added including the etched step ladders.

Have you seen

Yes thanks. I think I must have got this info from one of your threads while a model was still under consideration.

a unusual coach. What livery will it be in. ?

LNER grained teak livery. I haven't seen any photos of them in anything else in BR days and I doubt they got blood & custard...........Now that would have been interesting!

The solebars in the kit are very nicely detailed but are only 6thou thickness and are like tinfoil. This in iteself would not have prevented me using them on a suitable backing of brass, but the real solebars happened to be channel section. This is not clear on some scale drawings I've seen, but it shows clearly on photos of partially dismantled coaches undergoing restoration. So I used my own that are on 22thou brass....Not strictly correct detail-wise but they'll do. The two types are illustrated below.

post-6680-061559500 1292782299_thumb.jpg

The Barnum bufferbeams were utilised seeing as they are wider than on normal stock, but were thickened up with backing pieces to represent wood construction. Then rectangles of brass square section were soldered above the beams to take the end door steps. The latter are really neat etchings...

post-6680-092303300 1292782302_thumb.jpgpost-6680-015594600 1292782522_thumb.jpg

Turning to the underframe, an MJT Turnbuckle trussrod 'kit' was used. It is intended for LNER coaches but I decided to use it anyway. The queenpost etch had to be lengthened with scrap brass so that the posts appeared longer (going off a Nick Campling drawing). One queenpost fret was soldered in place then the turnbuckle trussing was used as a spacer to position the other queenposts. After this I simply followed MJTs instruction sheet.

post-6680-023842800 1292782746_thumb.jpgpost-6680-081300100 1292782748_thumb.jpg

Cylinders provided in the kit were far too large and so I got some from the trusty scrapbox. No batteryboxes were provided so LMS ones were fitted plus my own V-hangers etc....

post-6680-043808100 1292783017_thumb.jpg

I made hoods to go above the windows from 22thou brass strip. One thing I noticed while fitting tem was the step in the windows, which are slightly higher at the luggage end than the passenger windows. So the hoods were attached all in line to 'hide' this.

post-6680-086507300 1292783018_thumb.jpg

A word or two about the GCR 10ft 6ins w.b. bogies. I made the patterns thirty years ago (Larriparts). Firstly I removed the centre bolster and filed the slot clean. The sideframes were then soldered to my own brass top plates and separate bolster castings were soldered behind the sideframes. This gave the bogies more depth.

• RMweb Premium

Coach that looks very good - I was toying with the idea of one of these as a strengthener for a Liverpool Central rake - juts not sure if they lasted that long in revenue service. Any idea what the date of your heading photo was?

Any idea what the date of your heading photo was?

Unfortunately my late friend Jim took the information with him, but I expect it was 1950-1953ish. All the Gresley coaches behind the Barnum were also in teak livery but there is little else to date the photo. Jim took another picture of this train with the same loco but from a higher vantage point behind a stone wall. Without access to the negatives I cannot say if the train was initially brought to a stand and Jim was able to secure the shot shown above as it stated away from the signal. Of course he may have got the photos on two separate occasions.

Larry

Let painting commence. Red oxide primer first and allowed to dry for 4 hours, followed by gloss 'sand' base colour for teak. This was then selectively masked to leave windows, corner pillars and ends showing for a mixture I call 'teak panelling' to be sprayed on. This is less messy than poking a brush around and losing fine detail around windows....

post-6680-034472000 1292790321_thumb.jpg

The chassis and roof were sprayed black and whllst wet were oversprayed in a weathering colour. Graining and feathering in Humbrol enamel paint will follow....

Coach that looks very good - I was toying with the idea of one of these as a strengthener for a Liverpool Central rake - juts not sure if they lasted that long in revenue service. Any idea what the date of your heading photo was?

The article here by John Quick My link has a photo of one of these in service dated to 1956. Hope this helps. Looks like they lasted at least as long as the LOR anyway. At the end of the article it says the last Barnum was withdrawn in 1958 but it's not clear whether this would be a brake or saloon. Also says some were in carmine and cream!

Minor hickup with the painting hence no updates for a couple of days. The paint sprayed around the windows was the wrong colour, something I hadn't spotted in my haste to get back indoors out of the snow and darkness. Been mixing something this morning to match the colour put on a GCR Matchboard non-corridor coach but at least the graining is almost finished. I hadn't fully read the link given by Mickler and Poggy1165 when wondering is any of the Barnums recieved blood & custard. I wonder if anyone photographed one?

• RMweb Premium

Minor hickup with the painting hence no updates for a couple of days. The paint sprayed around the windows was the wrong colour, something I hadn't spotted in my haste to get back indoors out of the snow and darkness. Been mixing something this morning to match the colour put on a GCR Matchboard non-corridor coach but at least the graining is almost finished. I hadn't fully read the link given by Mickler and Poggy1165 when wondering is any of the Barnums recieved blood & custard. I wonder if anyone photographed one?

Photos exist of both the brake third and all third in blood and custard. There was, in all probability, just one example of each in the livery. I have just recently been working on a pair for Roy Jackson's layout (one Jidenco and one from D & S) and John Quick had kindly helped out with a full list of numbers, withdrawal dates and some excellent photos. The weather and illness have meant that I haven't been over for a few weeks now but once I do get there I will see if we can get something scanned and sent on to you.

The weather and illness have meant that I haven't been over for a few weeks now but once I do get there I will see if we can get something scanned and sent on to you.

Thanks very much and I hope you are making a good recovery. As you have withdrawal dates, I do hope brake third 5697 made it past 1954! :D

The impressive range but sad quality of the Falcon kits strikes again. You have made an excellent job of making something worthwhile out of what was essentially a scratch aid.

Every time I see one of these kits I despair a little that they have not been transferred to CAD and re-worked.

Every time I see one of these kits I despair a little that they have not been transferred to CAD and re-worked.

I completely agree. During construction a mental note was made of how it would be redrawn on CAD (not by me I should add) to produce a buildable kit. The only thing I had etched were the long door handles. Once the floor was accurately cut the body was supringly easy to put together. A pal of mine said it looks like a cricket pavilion on wheels so maybe the 'Barnums' do not turn people on..B)

Here are some shots of the detail. After the coach had been grained, lettered and satin-varnished, the glazing was cut and fitted. The kit contains some neat glazing bars for the 12 luggage windows so these were painted mid brown and glued in place with Evostick.

post-6680-0-31287300-1292950942_thumb.jpg

The various holes for door and grab handles were then drilled out through the glazing, then the specially etched handled secured in place with Loctite. Next a picture of the GCR coat-of-arms was scanned and cut out. It was placed on a plain gray background then texture added. Finally an affect was applied to give it an engraved-on-glass look, reduced and printed on art paper for the Lavatory and Washroom windows....

post-6680-0-55699900-1292951146_thumb.jpg

In case it is of use, a large print is given below...

post-6680-0-03619000-1292951145_thumb.jpg

The next move covers the interior seats and tables. Because of the fold-over ledge at the top of the coach sides, a drop-in interior was not possible. So all the components have to be juggled into place and glued onto a plastikard floor....

post-6680-0-81576400-1292951459_thumb.jpg

There are several photos of Barnums at the end of their lives in BR livery on my site see http://gallery6801.f.../p49008494.html and others. Very complex coach, coming along nicely.

Thanks, and guess where I saw the pictures when working out various details.:D I was going to ask if I could use one of your shots in my WB thread but could not find a home link. Your site has been invaluable for various other coaches as well but it is only now that I have linked your name with your handle on RMweb.

Thanks, and guess where I saw the pictures when working out various details.:D I was going to ask if I could use one of your shots in my WB thread but could not find a home link. Your site has been invaluable for various other coaches as well but it is only now that I have linked your name with your handle on RMweb.

Thanks and thats fine. But it is easy to email me, my email address is on every front page, or if you make a comment on a photo then it is emailed to me. Fotopic is very practical with many options of how it is set up.

Paul Bartlett

The seats and tables were painted before being inserted into the coach. After being centred with windows, Plastic Weld was brushed onto the units to hold them in place. The floor was given a coat of matt dark brown then some etched seat ends were glued in place that were left over from an LMS 'job'. They are not accurate for this coach but look the part. A drawing of a 'Barnum' interior appeared in 'British Railway Carriages of the 20th Century - 1901-1922' By D.Jenkinson.

post-6680-0-16730200-1292963493_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil, Not as bad to put together as I first thought but it has been very time-consuming. One is really only buying it for the etched sides, ends and detail parts, but at the end of the day, I will have a 'Barnum' for the Hull train.

The interior is now fully painted. (An error on the page is affecting images at the moment).

post-6680-0-10377800-1292967472_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with the images from this browser another 1st class professional build.

Cookies deleted to sort the problem. And thanks for your kind comment. That coach is the very last for varnished teak livery, all futures being in BR official early 50's liveries

Very impressed with your Barnum, Larry, especially the loo window monogram. Brilliant.

I built a few Jidenco/Falcon Brass kits some years ago and know what a challenge they can be. One of these was the SR 'W' class 2-6-4T, the instructions seemed to stop halfway through the build, as if the designer had given up. The last two lines were:- "Assemble and fit brakegear". "Assemble and fit valve gear"(full stop !) :) .

On your Brake 3rd i notice different gangways either end, will the open gangway be the end of a rake ? Also, have you altered the bogies to accept Bachmann narrow tension-locks ?

Cheers, Brian.

This post has been promoted to an article

Archived