BR Engineers Gulf Red

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone point me to a link to colour photo on the web of a wagon in this colour. I've a couple of Catfish I'd like to finish in this livery but I'm struggling to find a reference - I've found one photo of a Bachmann Model Ore Hopper ZEO Wagon in Gulf Red but I'm wary of copying another model!

Thanks for anything!

Chris

There was an article in one of the early 'Backtrack' magazines that featured several vehicles in Gulf Red. I will try to find out which edition it was.

Bartlett, Paul W. (1992) Gulf red - a nearly forgotten BR livery. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 2 (part 4) pp 184 - 188.

Really difficult colour to duplicate and certainly not something that will be very reliable on the internet.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies so far - it does seem a difficult colour to track down and reproduce - I do have some US paints including tuscan which may get close - from what I can find the Heljan Dogfish version appears rather bright and the Bachmann version referred to is betwen red and bauxite - can anyone advise if the Backtrack article includes colour photos?

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies so far - it does seem a difficult colour to track down and reproduce - I do have some US paints including tuscan which may get close - from what I can find the Heljan Dogfish version appears rather bright and the Bachmann version referred to is betwen red and bauxite - can anyone advise if the Backtrack article includes colour photos?

Thanks

Chris

The article includes about a dozen photographs all in colour. The colour is a dark burgundy shade with a matt finish. Ford cars used to have a colour called burgundy red which is a pretty close match but may need a slight 'darkening' to get the right shade.

There are a number of wagons in Gulf red in my various collections, but all are in a worn condition. A few examples

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p61215759.html

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p10898844.html

and how difficult it is to judge colour from photographs http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p10898845.html which is very different - not least because it is well lit.

Paul Bartlett

Theres always the question of how accurately the photos have reproduced the colour. There are a couple of examples on page 69 of "British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour" (Robert Hendry Midland Publishing 1999 ISBN 1 85780 094 X) which look more like a faded pink shade. There is a useful web colour site with rather questionable address of perbang.dk but this is its interpretation of gulf red and it gives it as a BS381 colour which implies a degree of authenticity

My interpretation, based on those photos, and especially Paul's article, would be Humbrol matt wine (#73), possibly let down with a spot of white. It's a very similar colour to that used by the NCB in the north east for their wagons - which was officially called crimson lake(!) - and that's what I use when doing that. Note that this looks very different when applied over red oxide primer or grey primer. The one is better for a freshly painted wagon I guess, the latter for a slightly, or well, weathered wagon. Just my interpretation you understand. ;)

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for the useful info and references - ButlerH I too found some BS references and they seem very different from the offered rtr model. Paul - thanks - the faded pink could be a real challenge but Phil by coincidence I do have a spray can of Ford burgundy red (its close to Boston and Maine coach colours!) and that is not too bad if a little "redder" than the BS colour charts. I shall try to track down a copy of the Modeller Backtrack article before I press the commit button I think..

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Gulf red was not a common colour anyway. It was only used for a very short time, late 50's/early 60's, the reason it was abandoned is obvious from the photographs, it faded badly to a shade of pink! However whilst it was in use some new wagons were painted gulf red and assembled into rakes, one of the photographs in the 'Modellers Backtrack' article shows a 'dogfish' ballast wagon also marked in large letters 'HOPPER TRAIN No. 6'. The livery seemed to last longer on stock such as ballast brakes and ballast plough brakes. Much of the stock retained this livery for fifteen years or more and the odd wagon into the 1990's by which time it would have been nothing like the original shade. The MB article also lists the stock that would have carried this livery from new and some of the stock that was repainted in this livery.

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Thanks I have a copy of MB on the way.

Butler

Thanks it certainly does look pink - I'm currently heading towards a chestnut acrylic paint I have but I'll wait for the magazine.

I've got "British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour" and the tool van shade is close to the chestnut I've got

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can I say a big "thank you" to all those who provided information. I've now got hold of the recommended Modeller Backtrack - which also contains ome other useful stuff including an unrelated photo of a Herring Ballast wagon at Tytherington - and after reading Paul's article I've opted to start with a dark burgundy - as recommended by Phil JW - and see what dry brushing and fading achieve.

Chris

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ancient thread, but first that appeared on a Google search.

I've been looking to paint a few Herring and Hornby sharks in this livery for a bit of variety.

Just stripped a couple of cheap mainline blue Sharks, which are going for £8 each at Hattons.

Phoenix paints sell this, picked up from eBay from Peter's spares, cat P293.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Well driven by the fact that it's nigh on impossible to pick up black Hornby Sharks (eBay I've been outbid five times now!) and the wish to get some gulf red variants I've been accruing these lovely little brake vans.

Cross referencing another thread on engineers gulf red here which lasted well through the 1970s albeit uncommon. As always wagon research must refer to Paul Bartlett's excellent Zenfolio site.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79766-shark-brake-van-in-engineers-red/

The shark is relatively easy to dismantle although a brake wheel fell off in the process. A flat head screwdriver wedged under each buffer gently easing the body off. The internal walls easily detach once the glue bond is broken as do the duckets.

I've four to repaint - at £8 for the mainline blue version at Hattons a real bargain me feels.

post-6925-0-72394400-1468746488_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Archived