Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Good to see you back up and running Dave. I am over that section of track on a regular basis and the recent work done there has left it looking like a jumble sale, with bit and pieces, catenary of course, boxes, pipes and wires all over the place. Just once It would be great to see a 47/7 emerging from the tunnels! Anyway if I can't get a fix on the real thing I know I can get it here.

Cheers

John

Glad you like the shove duff action, John. There'll be plenty more where that came from for your fixes (and mine).

Two of my next projects are to improve my DBSOs with lights and Shawplan windows/frames. As the layout is in sector mode at the moment, the blue/grey DBSO will be first up, just as soon as I have finally finished off my Mk 2d/1 rake. I'm very close now, but it seems like I've been saying that for a long time. The other project in the pipeline is an Inverness-based 47/4, probably 47546 (Aviemore Centre).

Cheers,

Dave

I'm over the track daily as well and as well as the omnipresent mess due to the ongoing track relaying in the gardens section, there is sadly the ever increasing emergence of most unwelcome graffiti in the garden sections. I think it's getting worse as the weeks go on.

It's the same feckin clown that seems to have peppered most of Edinburgh as well with his utter crap. At newbridge junction he's got the same 'tag' on every electrification pole. At Edinburgh park as well. I've seen it on the east of Edinburgh as well, same tag/mess.

Sadly the world of brain surgery is missing a genius as this joker spends his time splattering Edinburghs infrastructure.

That is so sad and such a shame. I always thought the gardens and Waverley itself were pretty free from such desecration and all the more beautiful for it. One thing's for sure, I won't be modelling it.

• RMweb Premium

i'm not a big follower of individual locos, but i thought i recognised 47 546

had a quick check and indeed it was familiar! some of my few railway pics were taken at perth railfair in april(?) 1985.

iirc in the north yard, 546 was in freshly painted LL blue complete with 'highland rail' stags and yellow snowploughs. (it wasn't named at that time though)

if the pics are of any use, i'll get them scanned for you

(there will be a noticeable grain to them though - taken on a bloody 'disc' camera! would've been better using the old 126 instamatic :D )

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Nice weathering job on 37 418 great to hear your making some headway on the layout - any chance of an ' open day ' shame to keep it to yourself - still as long as the pics keep coming! :locomotive: .

Bill.

Thanks Bill. An open day's not a bad idea if there's sufficient interest, but given where I live (a long way from just about anywhere), maybe an open invite to RMWebbers to PM me for a personal viewing would be the better way to go? Any views welcome!

Be warned though, at the moment the layout is only just recovering from its move and nearly half of it (the depot) is set to be rebuilt. The depot side of the layout is still mostly stripped down (although trains are now running over it). My first task is to get the station and gardens up and running again (well advanced now - the lights are back on again now, albeit pending permanent wiring). Then I'll move onto the depot side after that.

Cheers,

Dave

i'm not a big follower of individual locos, but i thought i recognised 47 546

had a quick check and indeed it was familiar! some of my few railway pics were taken at perth railfair in april(?) 1985.

iirc in the north yard, 546 was in freshly painted LL blue complete with 'highland rail' stags and yellow snowploughs. (it wasn't named at that time though)

if the pics are of any use, i'll get them scanned for you

(there will be a noticeable grain to them though - taken on a bloody 'disc' camera! would've been better using the old 126 instamatic:D )

Any photos you've got Keefer would definitely be very gratefully received!

• RMweb Premium

here you go dave, i'm as well posting them here, the quality isn't really going to get any better! (although you may be able to jiggle the levels etc.)

post-1060-0-64173500-1362090997_thumb.jpg

post-1060-0-92984000-1362091047_thumb.jpg

47 708 'waverley' + p/p set provided the shuttle from the station to the yard where 47 546 was.

post-1060-0-93815300-1362091288_thumb.jpg

post-1060-0-82771900-1362091345_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I see you are asking for shots of the old DVTs. I took these the same January 1980 morning I took the shots at Waverley that I posted before. Sorry they are not brilliant quality but hope they help anyway. Both number 606.

post-12721-0-57273500-1362093172_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-64965200-1362093201_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

same day as me sulzer, we may have passed each other!

it was marketed as perth 'railfair', i may still have the booklet somewhere.

i went with my dad and it involved a train from kirkcaldy to edinburgh then a train of mk1 stock to perth behind 60009 'union of south africa'

now that i've re-found the photos, i really must scan them and get them on here somewhere - as already mentioned, they're rubbish quality due to being on 'disc' film, but there were a lot of different locos/stock etc there, both at the station and in the yard

to be honest, i don't know how it came about as it was a very 'dad and son' thing to do and my dad wasn't really like that!

Hi Dave,

I see you are asking for shots of the old DVTs. I took these the same January 1980 morning I took the shots at Waverley that I posted before. Sorry they are not brilliant quality but hope they help anyway. Both number 606.

attachicon.gif439web.jpg

attachicon.gif441web.jpg

Colin, brilliant thanks again - I was wondering about that last DBSO shot. It really shows the lights clearly but is that tail lamp on the first one because the light above it has failed, do you know? I don't recall seeing any tail lamps like that on DBSOs before. That may just be because they don't tend to get photographing when trailing, I guess. I presume the normal arrangement would be for both red lights to be lit and no tail lamp? I need to know how many LEDs to fit!

Cheers,

Dave

same day as me sulzer, we may have passed each other!

it was marketed as perth 'railfair', i may still have the booklet somewhere.

i went with my dad and it involved a train from kirkcaldy to edinburgh then a train of mk1 stock to perth behind 60009 'union of south africa'

now that i've re-found the photos, i really must scan them and get them on here somewhere - as already mentioned, they're rubbish quality due to being on 'disc' film, but there were a lot of different locos/stock etc there, both at the station and in the yard

to be honest, i don't know how it came about as it was a very 'dad and son' thing to do and my dad wasn't really like that!

I'm being really greedy now, keefer, but I'd be interested in those shots of 60009. I regularly run my 60009 on steam specials but have never been sure which stock would be best to use for a typical 1980s excursion out of Waverley. I tend to use Bachmann's Mk 1 Pullmans, which are really nice, but I have seen shots of 60009 heading blue/grey Mk 1 stock in and around Edinburgh (usually on the Fife circle I think), but the full rake has never been in view, so if you've got any shots showing the full formation (or as much of it as possible), that would be brilliant.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

dave, i've definitely got some pics taken 'hingin oot the windae' of the train going north - i'll have to have a rake for them tho, as they're still in the envelope separate from the photos of the locos/stock at perth.

probably won't show the whole formation, but definitely blue/grey mk1s (and i was in an SK)

• RMweb Gold

Colin, brilliant thanks again - I was wondering about that last DBSO shot. It really shows the lights clearly but is that tail lamp on the first one because the light above it has failed, do you know? I don't recall seeing any tail lamps like that on DBSOs before. That may just be because they don't tend to get photographing when trailing, I guess. I presume the normal arrangement would be for both red lights to be lit and no tail lamp? I need to know how many LEDs to fit!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, I assume you are right. It's certainly one for the "prototype for everything" department isn't it? I would certainly expect the red light above where the lamp is to be lit in normal circumstances. The white light on the same fitting was working, so I guess it was just a failure of the red bulb.

• RMweb Premium

wonder if there was something in the sectional appendix, e.g. a special instruction that as p-p trains, they should have two tail lamps lit?

are  there any pics out there showing the loco on the back with 2 lights?

Hi Dave,

47546 is a good choice, I repainted a Lima one a few years back but did mine with black headcode boxes which were added at some point. Something you might like to know is this loco has a round plated over boiler port which you can get on some models it just depends what loco you are plannig to use.

My model hasn'y run for a few years, I managed to loose one of the nameplates.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

hello dave, finally found and got round to scanning those pics

60009 at waverley awaiting departure to perth

post-1060-0-32172600-1362437143_thumb.jpg

view of the train on the way to perth (best i've got i'm afraid) - seems to be all b/g mk1s with scotrail branding - though whether it was Scotrail/ScotRail, i don't know

post-1060-0-06334400-1362437407_thumb.jpg

60009 on the middle road at perth (not sure if heading north to the yard or back south for departure)

post-1060-0-06491200-1362437545_thumb.jpg

60009 on display in the north yard

post-1060-0-60662900-1362437625_thumb.jpg

• Like 3