37118 almost finished.

I've just done another Google image search and found (so far) about 60% of images show how I have placed the running numbers. Could it be possible the loco has numbers on opposing corners?

Well I've still got a Hornby Railfrieght livery 37 to get a new coat of paint when I can decide what it will be. I'll remember to check the grilles on this one. I'm just waiting on some detailling parts (thanks to Carl for the insperation), I don't think I'll be going quite as far as Carl did on his cracking thread "updating a Hornby class 37" but I'll give it a bash.

Best regards,

Mark

Just because I said I'd put a picture up with chassis/complete.

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

I've not detailed the front end because it would be a waste of time doing it as the railway is for a four (nearly five) year old.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

This is getting confusing...

OK Mark 37 - Why not do a rename and number to one of the 37's with the correct grill type?

37516 - WCR Maroon ex-EWS Operational Inverness

37676 - Loch Rannoch WCR Maroon ex-EWS Operational Carnforth

37685 - WCR Maroon ex-EWS Operational Carnforth

37706 - WCR Maroon ex-EWS Operational Southall

37712 - WCR Maroon ex-EWS Under repair (fire damage) Carnforth

Should help you to decide!

Thanks

Mark,

Thanks very much. It did come out well for a second ever loco respray.

Phil,

Thanks for the information, I'll look into them and possibly change the ruunning No. I could kick myself for over looking the grills.:aggressive_mini:

Cav,

Thanks for that further information, If I just jumped in there then I would probably went for 516.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

That really is a cracking paint job can't believe thats only your second one! The WCRC fleet is a bit complex when it comes to which number to model due to all the nose end grills, fronts and cantrail grills as both 676 and 516 have the split RSH type. 676 also has a one peice nose grill at one side. I have attached a couple of shots of the 2 I have both the fine work of Andi Walshaw (cairnsroadworks). 516 may appear to be a bit plainer compared to 676 but it had a lot of work to get it just right. Not the best shots I thought I had more of 516 but it should give you an idea of the different details of the grills. Not sure which number in the fleet you can do without changing any nose grills but at the end of the day its still a cracking model the way it is.

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-22950100-1310422974_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-28581400-1310423627_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for those photos, (nice one). I'm not sure if I should re-number this one, after all it was done for my 5 year old (he wouldn't know the difference). I think I'll leave it as it is for now and keep an eye open for a suitable body doner for another one (I've 3/4 of a bottle of WCR acrylic to use up before it goes off). I have been looking at the cheap Vitrains 47's available at Hattons for a possible WCR 47. I notice on 516 the buffer beam is bright red. I used buffer beam red. Can you tell me which red Andy used on yours (it looks like signal red)?

If I can make it to Ayr, I'll bring it along so you can see the respray in the flesh.

Keep up the excellent work on Rannoch Moor, can't wait to see it.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what red it is but will try and find out at some point for you. Everything is boxed up ready for moving house so can't check it for a few weeks! There are a couple of Vi-trains releases in WCRC livery so you might find one of those cheap at some point to save you painting and then you can detail it up from there. I only have the one Vi-trains model 37 422 and it does run very well - added a shawplan fan and grill to improve it as well as wire handrails which were a pain to do and finally quite a heavy weathering and patch paint to create the look of it during the last few years of operation. Took me 6 months to complete on and off which is why I try not to do my own locos!

Will hopefully see you at Ayr this year and then next year you'll get to see the layout there!

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've started gathering some of the bits I need to tackle my Hornby R751 (that's what's stamped in the body), I could be wrong.

This is what I'll be starting out with.

post-11024-0-96897900-1313429625_thumb.jpg

Some of the parts I have gathered together.

post-11024-0-37206700-1313429721_thumb.jpg

I've put a list together covering what will need to be done to convert this body (Railfreight 37063) to Railfreight Red Stripe 37118.

(No set order)

Make and add high intensity light. Done

Remove buffers and replace with cast ones.

Remove horn grills and replace with etchings. Done

Remove all mouldings from the nose except "D" lights. Done

Trim and shape valance. Done

Replace windows with flush glaze (did think about Shawplan, but then this loco would stick out too much from existing fleet).

Remove plates from under cabside windows. Done

Smooth and replace nose grilles with etchings. Not going to do this.

Remove and replace hand rails with wire where possible (not sure about cab doors yet).????

Rub smooth all dimple and paint blemishes. Done

Replace frost grilles with etchings or make myself. Done

Try make multiple connectors (I think that's what they are) on both sides and both ends of nose. Still to fit.

Replace boggie foot steps with etched ones.

Drill out exhaust holes. Done

Replace fan grill with etched one. Done

Drop body on boggies (not quite sure how I'll secure body if I go ahead with this. Need to considder possibilities of a 5 year old handling it). Done

Add nose ariel.

Replace gearing in motor. Don't think anythings wrong with origonal, but may as well. Done

Replace springs and bushes. Done

Add working lights.

Add cab and driver, if I can then a cab light?????

Wire in 8 pin harness.

Remove Horndy's paint edge mouldings. Done

Replace traction tyres. Done

Add etched windscreen wipers.

Define body doors in middle of loco and remove moulding. Done, but not very well, probably re-visit this.

Add vac pipes????? Not sure yet as above small hands may handle loco, also I'll need to add wire for tension lock couplings.

Try and make the tanks look 3 dimensional.

Respray.

Add decals.

What I don't have in the picture is on order.

So just a couple of jobs to be getting on with.

All the best,

Mark

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please feel free. I'd rather hear them before the works completed. I don't want to do a Loch Arkaig again. lol.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Mark

The Hornby bogies are actually for a class 47. You can get class 37 side frames from Dave Alexander but they might not be 5year old proof.

Despite it's age the Hornby body got the shape much better than several models that followed it

Hth

Jim

Jo,

Thanks for that. That looks to be the easiest. I'm not really wanting to have to do a large overhaul although I do see some differences. Handrails on nose, no dog (has to stay for the 5 year old). The lamp brackets are also situated differently. I'll mull this one over whilst I work on other projects.

Well I decided to try this static grass that is thought of so highly, so I've ordered a fly swat to make an aplicator. I have everything else lying around.

Update on the Hornby 37. I didn't get a chance today to call Dave Alexander because we had a visit from the inlaws. I did start taking a knife to the body.

Here's it's present state.

post-11024-0-13422000-1313517522_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-39838600-1313517593_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-95618900-1313518147_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-22795300-1313518703_thumb.jpg

Well I've been busy beavering away at this today. I've been carving filling and sanding all day. The hardest part was the roof fan. Not that hard to remove at all, but I tried to keep the rivet detail on the large plate surrounding it and very nearly succeded up until the very last bit of sanding when I had to rub two of them away to get an acceptable finish for the etched grill to go on. So I've had to take them all off as I have nothing to hand that would have let me replace them. I hunted high and low to find a thin enough piece of plasticard to punch rivets into and mount, but all my stock is 40 thou (1mm) and above for my boats. So is my brass sheets for that matter. I didn't take any pics today, but I'll try and remember to take some tomorrow before I start again. I don't see me getting very much done tomorrow as it's our first childs first day of school, were all pretty excited but none more than him. He's been telling all the neighbours that he becomes a big boy tomorrow, bless. :wub:

I think I'll get the Class 37 boggies, but they'll be put in a box for the future. I think the additional weight could only be good for traction but I don't think they will stand the test of time with the wee yin handling the locos, after all all this is for him (honest). So the under frame will be a future project unless I have a rush of blood to the head. ;)

Hope to post some more tomorrow.

all the best,

Mark

Hi Eddie,

What a kind offer, thanks. :good_mini: I've just remembered I have some 10 thou in a lifeboat kit for building up the window frames, so I could be allright. Need to wait until tomorrow to check as the box is in the bedroom and the wife is sleeping. :lazy: I new I saw some somewhere. If theres none there I'll give you a shout Eddie.

Update on the 37.

Not anything. I tried to get onto the internet after lunch today to check a couple of things before jumping right in there and found I had no connection. :banghead: 11 hours later I got it fixed (10 mins ago). :dancer:

Busy morning tomorrow, but hope to get back into it in the afternoon.

Best regards,

Mark :bye:

Update as of today.

I've started the high intensaty lights, flushed the split head code boxes with the body and added some depth to the body.

post-11024-0-35845500-1313827626_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-36421100-1313827710_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-37377900-1313827769_thumb.jpg

If i'm not dragged off to the shops today and don't have to visit the family, the plans are to carry on and finish.

Tidying up around the body skirt, finish the high intensaty lights, add the drip rails above the cab doors. If that all goes to plan I'll see if I've a sharp cutting disk for the Dremel and lower the boggies (really must get a razor saw). Never needed one really in 25 years.

Any questions or tips I'd likme too here them.

All the best,

Mark

Another wee update. Things are moving slower than I hoped for, but I’ve been quite ill all week. Although I’ve still been able to do small bit’s here and there.

I’ve added the drip rails above the cab doors, these proved to be quite straight forward.

I’ve dropped the bogie height it works out at about 2mm removed (see photo). This was reasonably hard, first of all trying to work out how to mark the area to be removed. I done this by attaching a strip of tape to the inside of the bogie (only flat area to mark). I then used a Dremel to cut along the top edge of the tape. I’m not sure how accurate this cut has to be, but I’ve only a .20mm fluctuation. (See photo). If you don’t have a Dremel or other make I wouldn’t bother tackling this unless you have loads of patience (something I do kind of lack).

post-11024-0-69375900-1313989166_thumb.jpg

I then tackled the mid body doors. I started off by scoring around the edge of them to define them with the intention of rubbing the raised moulding are away. This would be easy I thought. On my first door just sub surface there seemed to be a hard imperfection, because when my knife hit it, it shot right across the body. After tidying that up, my only option I could think of was to remove the doors altogether and re make them, which I did. (See photos). Once made, I scribed around them to make the outline of the door.

post-11024-0-62626800-1313989238_thumb.jpg

The only other thing I’ve done is drill the tail lights out, marked out the valence for cutting to shape and rubbed the window frames down a little to try and even out the mouldings. I may still remove these completely.

I think I’m about ready to start adding some of the etchings Whilst I wait for one of the trainsave decoders and some warm white led’s (these will be ordered Friday). I’ve decided to try the decoder out in this because I plan to use the functions as follows;

1, for the motor.

2, for one set of head and tail lights

3, the other set of head and tails

4, cab light if I do actually add this to the model.

In the mean time I'll start to strip and clean the motor. (See photo).

post-11024-0-32308400-1313989401_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-98001800-1313989505_thumb.jpg

All the best just now,

Mark

I forgot to add I got my electro fly swat on Thursday for convertion to a static grass aplicator. I will not show you how this is done as I would not like to be resposible for any injury's by wrong use. Below are the videos to show you how. I'll tackle mine when I get the soldering iron out for fitting lights to the 37.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAEmcqc-yIc

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hsz3uRlwVY

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPv0ghrZYDQ

Please remember your own personel saftey comes first when working with electricity!

Best regards,

Mark

Back to the 37 today.

I spent yesterday cleaning all the build up of dirt on the motor and housing (20 years worth). The motor now has a new set of gears, brushes, springs and traction tyres, (see photo).

post-11024-0-21065300-1314123618_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-71537200-1314123697_thumb.jpg

I've spent this afternoon trying to come up with as many combinations of super gluing my fingers together, I did get close to gluing my mouth shut. Some would say that's not a bad thing. :rofl: Top tip, don't put the lid back on using your mouth. :nono: The afternoon passed quickly, I blame that on looking for a brush for two hours. :search: I accidently dropped one.

Anyway, here's where I'm at, (see photo below).

post-11024-0-54243200-1314123808_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-77744300-1314123851_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually got as far as a grey primer coat to bring out areas needing more attention. I kinda hit a stand still as I've been waiting on supplies to continue on with this project, but it's not been forgoten about (I hate topics that start and never end).

Best regards,

Mark

Well loads of views and not much input, :scratchhead: so I can attribute it to one of three things.

1, You've seen to many of these threads and there driving you a bit :crazy_mini: .

2, I've totally messed this up big time and your all too kind to comment. :O I right!

3, I'm doing such a wonderful job, you all aspire to my level. :whistle: ................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, back to an update. I made the lamp brackets today (see attached pic's) and loved every minute of it, even when they pinged out of the tweesers and fired across the dinning room never to be seen again. At least until they are not needed. They have been added and a light coat of white primer (all I had to hand). Other than nose ariels to be made, I think I'm finished with the body. There are a few more things that could be done to improve it, but for my needs, I think I'm done. Some pic's below.

Lamp brackets.

post-11024-0-31905200-1315149765_thumb.jpg

Another view of brackets before they were trimmed.

post-11024-0-74542500-1315149902_thumb.jpg

I honestly could have sat and knocked out hundreds of these today. Such a strainge thing to have enjoyed so much. A little weird even for me.

Loco body primed, sitting on top of my spray booth (well it is if it's just a quick spray)

post-11024-0-02201200-1315150169_thumb.jpg

Another view.

post-11024-0-24156100-1315150272_thumb.jpg

And the last for now.

post-11024-0-55034300-1315150402_thumb.jpg

The next couple of jobs will involve trying the body and motor together to see if a cab can be added. I've not come across any thread that has done this (that I can remember). It could be that only one cab will fit, so I'll add this to the No1 end only. Tonight I will probably finish milling the light recesses and start wiring the lights up ready for fitting. The other job I have to do is make a buffer beam and add the buffers.

All the best for now,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Time to resurrect this topic although not much further on. After doing some jobs for family members and after a bit of a scare with the future addition to our family I at long last had the motivation to sit down and get on with a couple of jobs, namely the lights mentioned in the previous post.

I cracked open the new soldering iron to give it a go and got as far as getting one set of marker lights complete and just starting on the tail lights when the we fella caught the cable and launched the iron across the room. So I am now looking for yet another new iron (hope to order next week).

I have however managed to get my hands on some Bachmann class 37 boggie side frames, so have been puzzling over how to best fit these without them protruding too much. I have thought about grinding the existing frames down a bit to get the fit I want, but don't want to affect the strength. but that will have to wait untill another night because Scotland play Spain to qualify tonight and can't miss that.

During my down time with this I had noticed the prototype does not have recessed marker lights as depicted by Hornby and set about filling them tonight with some green squadron that will be sanded during half time.

That's all for now.

Mark

I've finaly got around to taking and adding pics.

Electrics...

post-11024-0-23910800-1318446813_thumb.jpg

I started wiring an 8 pin harness to a PCB board.

post-11024-0-16454400-1318446946_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-41862100-1318447055_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-37121100-1318447137_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-37993200-1318447267_thumb.jpg

The start of the lighting.

post-11024-0-41331700-1318448306_thumb.jpg

After I get a new soldering iron and finish the lighting I'll run some droppers for want of a better word from the PCB board with plugs for connecting to the lights which will be fixed to the body with 2 part epoxy.

I started work on attaching the Bachmann bogies to the origonal Hornby bogie. The first pic shows the origonal after being attacked with the dremmel. The second pic shows where I have made slots (in red) to fit the bogies, the blue area is where I had to recess for a better fit. I'm not to sure how these will look on the finished model. If they look awful it's no big loss (nothing ventured, nothing gained), if anything it's given more experience and an origonal set of bogies will be easily acquired from our favourite auction site.

post-11024-0-80259400-1318449039_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-48197900-1318449114_thumb.jpg

The Bachmann bogies fitted.

post-11024-0-32093300-1318449276_thumb.jpg

post-11024-0-05321400-1318449373_thumb.jpg

Oh, watch this space. Because we don't have track on wood yet and my 5 year old is itching to get involved with the railway project I've told him he will be painting this loco with a little guidance. I'll do the maskinng, but the paint finish will be all him.

All the best for now and thanks for looking in.

Mark

Archived