Converting 009 to 00

Revenge against the narrow gaugers who are always adapting 00 stock to their scale and gauge combination.

Here I am adapting some Parkside Dundas 009 kits to 00, it is for a small feeder quarry line based on the Liskard and Looe or Wenford Bridge railways in Cornwall.

Of course although it is modelled in 00 it is actually P4 or dead scale because some of these early isolated lines chose their own gauge which could have been 4ft 1 1/2 inches or 16.5mm gauge in 4 mm scale!

post-6220-0-15025000-1305744395_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-18993200-1305744423_thumb.jpg

The wheels are 10mm diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

post-6220-0-30537200-1306783180_thumb.jpg

Not 009 at all mostly cut down Ratio kits to make a flat wagon, how would the cross planking be fixed to the chassis on the prototype?

I guess they would have used coach screws in counter sunk holes, so I drilled lots of little holes to represent the pattern of fixing, the top needs a bit of distressing.

post-6220-0-12312500-1306783392_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-06118200-1306783656_thumb.jpg

An ERTL saddle tank body with the roof cut off could make a sort of Bodmin 0-4-0 tank from the Bodmin and Wadebridge Rly.

All I need to do is find the right Spud motor bogie or equivalent to get it running, It's diecast metal so is nice and heavy, it currently has a

cardboard foot plate and a block of Balsa wood for a chassis.

Another possibility using a nice and heavy ERTL body, all it needs is the right chassis?

Maybe a Hornby pug would be the right donor, the verticle motor might fit into the cab?

post-6220-0-68782600-1306783923_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-15749500-1306783993_thumb.jpg

Some ex-009 wagons that are now standard guage, except the green one which should be posted in another thread.

The track is standard 00, about the same check rails as PECO code 75 stuff, thats 16.5mm which is 4 foot or there abouts in 4mm to the foot scale.

the photo of the three wagons shows wheels from Bachmann, Romford and Gibson which medium/coarse scale I reckon.

Just checked the Liskeard and Caradon Railway on the web and it's what I'm aiming for in modelling terms.

The track is standard 00, about the same check rails as PECO code 75 stuff, thats 16.5mm which is 4 foot or there abouts in 4mm to the foot scale.

the photo of the three wagons shows wheels from Bachmann, Romford and Gibson which medium/coarse scale I reckon.

So why mention P4 when its not then? I did wonder about the wheels.

• 4 months later...

OK scale modelers look away now, here is another revenge on the 009 modelers.

I've converted a Parkside Dundas kit of the Tralee & Dingle Railway butter van into an 00 butter van.

I could not resist all that beautiful fine timber frame moulding and louvers. To make the van wide enough I stuck some Evergreen 3.5 mm strip up the middle and made a new plastic floor. A few strips of plastic to make the sole-bars deeper. Cast metal axle box/W irons and old style LNWR buffers from ABS model castings via Four Most Models.

post-6220-0-63476500-1318618277.jpg

post-6220-0-14869900-1318618308_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The hopper wagon again, the wheel sets are Alan Gibson, one is 00 and one is P4 re-gauged to 16.5mm or 4ft 1 1/2". If I build the track as fine scale to suit the small flanges and give a skinny light railway look would it count as P4?

If your wheel and track standards were to P4 measurements for that particular gauge then it would be P4. The basic concept is the real thing divided by 76.2 -- well S4 is -- P4 does allow just a smidgen of compromise. But the standards are not gauge dependant as P4/S4 standards are successfully used for Irish broad gauge, GWR broad gauge as well as Festiniog narrow gauge. I can't off hand think of any lines built to 4' 1.5" though you could squeeze it in a bit as there several built to 4' 0".

By the way, you won't get very reliable running, whatever your standards, if you have one pair of wheels to P4 and one to coarse 00 profile on the same wagon.

post-6220-0-25660400-1319963250_thumb.jpg

Another 009 kit mod, I used the sides from a Ffestiniog Rly brake kit with ends from Evergreen V- groove 2mm spacing sheet to get a small brake van suitable for a mineral tramway, it uses an old Lima wagon chassis.

I wish I never said anything about the wheels I was just using up some odd Gibson wheels I had, even on their 00 wheels the flanges are so small it is hard to tell the difference, so I re-gauged all the wheels to run through code 75 points, I can't afford to waste wheels.

Looks very effective there, but that's the Vale of Rheidol brake van (DM17), not Festiniog; the old FR loading gauge was so small it might just about suit 3mm scale!

Interestingly Hornby did a model not unlike that in the late 1970s for the Australian market http://www.hornbyguide.com/review_details.asp?reviewid=76 though with a birdcage instead of a ducket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Another conversion from 009 up to 00, this time I want a small old fashioned cattle wagon, the sort that a small independent

tramway may have picked up second hand somehow when a mainline railway scrapped it as being too old  fashioned and

small for their use. I bought an 009 Society cattle wagon that was already assembled and have reduced it to it's component parts

and now have a set of parts with new ends ready for assembly.

post-6220-0-75992100-1405005395_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-34518100-1405005409_thumb.jpg

The floor is from a Ratio wagon chassis kit, I've cut the corner posts off of the original ends and added them to

the sides, the new ends ( white ) are cut out of Evergreen Vgroove 2.5 mm spacing.

• 2 weeks later...

post-6220-0-45638000-1405707116_thumb.jpg

Three steps forward two back, after an evening session trying to glue the four sides to the floor and not being able to position every thing properly, I broke one of the sides.
This is as far as I got. I wait for the the glue on the repaired part to set before I can have another try.

Another conversion from 009 up to 00, this time I want a small old fashioned cattle wagon, the sort that a small independent

tramway may have picked up second hand somehow when a mainline railway scrapped it as being too old  fashioned and

small for their use. I bought an 009 Society cattle wagon that was already assembled and have reduced it to it's component parts

and now have a set of parts with new ends ready for assembly.

attachicon.gifp7060530.jpg

attachicon.gifp7060531.jpg

The floor is from a Ratio wagon chassis kit, I've cut the corner posts off of the original ends and added them to

the sides, the new ends ( white ) are cut out of Evergreen Vgroove 2.5 mm spacing.

Ah ha, I see you're at it again. FYI the donor wagon is a Welshpool cattle wagon out of Ninelines. I have built a standard gauge version of the 009 Society kit, must post some piccy's soon.

John.

post-6220-0-01192500-1406310746_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-36810500-1406310768_thumb.jpg

Some more progress with this model, the lower picture shows the problem with using second hand models some of the parts can be a little distressed, see the sole bar. I was planning to use white metal W irons fixed to the sole bar but I fear I won't be able to get them sitting at the same heights, I'll try U shaped brass units fixed to the wagon floor instead instead.

• 3 weeks later...

post-6220-0-59869100-1407784343_thumb.jpg

Much adjustment an braking bits of and re-gluing has been taking place. The end detail is now there and the roof built up by hot forming some plastic around a large tin or jar. A piece of plastic is cut roughly to size and then taped to a jar of suitable diameter. Then boiling water is poured in and by the time it has cooled the plastic has the right curvature for the model.
Part of the problem with this mode is that the ends are very weak with just a thin bit of plasticard at each end. I was planning to make the model of one of the early roofless types of cattle wagons but had to add a roof just to make the model strong enough to handle. I've also added two cross piecies as strengethers, out of site behind the doors.

The W irons are MJT I will also use their axle box, spring and buffer castings.
The roof just plugs into place, I like to make my rooves detachable as this makes painting easier.
Couplings will be on little towers of plasticard layers to get them to the right height.

post-6220-0-55390600-1407784362_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-6220-0-97743600-1411765678_thumb.jpg

Finally finished this little cattle wagon. I've tried some dry brushing as demonstrated on the BRM DVD to give a slightly used look. Using Games Workshop acrylics, some dark brown around the W irons and springs and over the strapping to show up the rivet detail and then some white to represent the residue of a lime washing on the lower planks.

I've lost that coupling again, I shall try my new bottle of “Grip” superglue.

Archived