Squeezebelly Lane Depot

Passing a junk shop the other day I saw a table for £3, it had no top and was a bit battered but looked fine. The dog has destroyed my small coffee table by running into the legs till they broke off then playing stick with them! When I got my new purchase home I looked at it and realised I could combine the need for somewhere to put things and a small layout to play with at home and try out a few new things on. I decided on the classic inglenook siding shunt puzzle for the track plan, and haven't worked out wether it will be a 3-2-2 or 5-3-3 yet. The plan is-

60's period setting- can use the new Farish 08 in BR Green with wasp stripes

All buildings and structures made from Scale scenes materials- I fancied trying out some of their stuff and this fitted really well.

After advice from Nigel Cliffe the couplings will be DG's with an electromagnet, this will help me set up the same for KIngsbridge

Layout to be lit entirely by its own lights- Another area I have not tried before!

DCC control using my NCE stuff.

Must be minimum impact on the table to keep domestic authorities happy.

Must cost as little as possible.

post-9516-0-29900700-1308036686_thumb.jpg

The donor table, just after I put an MDF baseboard underneath! This was free from my shed so it was a good start on expenses.

post-9516-0-96138100-1308036764_thumb.jpg

The inside area, I am going to put the small Gauge master sky round the edge, then build in some low relief warehouses etc. This will be an urban set layout, almost completely enclosed by buildings.

post-9516-0-85629000-1308036904_thumb.jpg

The useable area is just 18" long, as can be seen above. I am thinking of adding a small scenic fiddle yard to one end, which can double as a photo plank.

I have downloaded a few scale scenes bits and will post some pics of these soon.

i think he meant diagonal the whole track plan so the length is nearer 22 - 24 inches corner to corner rather than 18 you have now left to right. without a traverser you are going to find using the full width difficult anyway even with set track points and only a very short run round loop if you want one. get a bigger table??

I have a very big layout that is taking it's time to be fully finished which will do more complicated things. The original inglenook had no run around, I have worked out that a 3-2-2 will fit which still gives 360 something combinations of wagon. I agree that a slant would have been better. The table fitted the space in the house, the layout was an afterthought really. Will put an update up when the track plan is final. Thanks for all the advice.

Archived