Two Yard

devious diesel

Hi

I like your layout design of having no points as the scenic section is simple and doesn't take up much space but allows cameos and pictures with a lot of atmosphere B) .Do you have any DCC sound locos?

One tip for improvement,a backscene would add depth and make a fitting backdrop for pictures.

Following with interest ;)

Regards

Lewis

Hi Lewis

Yes I have a couple of sound loco's. Used to have a few but had sell a lot of my collectiion due too been very short of funds (and I was bit fed up with the hobby).

So its small low cost layouts at the moment for me.

This is just a test track really so I don't know about a back drop, I have and idea for wagon repair shop come stabling sidings layout.

Still thinking about it but if anyone's got any photos or other links to other layout's on this line please let me know.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I really like the concept but some tips (laugh and ignore if you wish!!!) -

The out of scale leaves in the background spoil the effect so a backscene (removable so it can used either side of the plank) would aid the composition.

The black background in the first photo looks like a night shot but photographed in sunlight?

Use zoom to get away from the model and compress the apparent length (gives the loco more heft).

Use zoom to create shallow depth of field to separate the loco from the background (reduces distraction).

Make the loco or the rolling stock the hero (everything is a support act).

Use white/gold/silver reflectors to fill in the deep shadows you get with sunlight.

Have fun - it looks good. Ignore my suggestions if you want. I just used to shoot product photography for a living (but with a Sinar!!!).

I really like the concept but some tips (laugh and ignore if you wish!!!) -

The out of scale leaves in the background spoil the effect so a backscene (removable so it can used either side of the plank) would aid the composition.

The black background in the first photo looks like a night shot but photographed in sunlight?

Use zoom to get away from the model and compress the apparent length (gives the loco more heft).

Use zoom to create shallow depth of field to separate the loco from the background (reduces distraction).

Make the loco or the rolling stock the hero (everything is a support act).

Use white/gold/silver reflectors to fill in the deep shadows you get with sunlight.

Have fun - it looks good. Ignore my suggestions if you want. I just used to shoot product photography for a living (but with a Sinar!!!).

I just took some quick snaps in the garden. But your advice is welcome, I well have to give my next photography session a bit more thought.

Cheers David.

David

The Scenecraft single road servicing shed looks great doesn't it. I am just reading HM which had a Scenecraft supplement including a small diorama with this shed and it has got me thinking about building something small in the shed that I can take outside during the nice weather.

You made a good job of your smal layout and I look forward to some more pictures.

Dave

Chock full of atmosphere in the smallest space possible- fantastic! Many more photos please!

PS- you're definitely right about daylight making a huge difference to the ambience- the shadows bring the scene to life.

Hi David, the backscene looks great, Looks like Port Talbot down here in S Wales, goes great with the Bacy shed. That shed is superb Im trying to find a space on my layout for one and am even tempted to knock down my wagon works to make space.

Layout looks great, keep it up..

All the best

Leon.

The backscene looks good. Were was this purchased?

It all depends were/how the layout is stored/displayed. If anything it could be a touch to high. But the image is spot on.

Paul

Hi Paul

The backscene is a Gaugemaster item.

David

• 3 weeks later...

great work mate, love the backscene, something i should have done on mine really.

is the depot building the new Bachmann replica of peterborough??

great work

neil

• 1 month later...

Been messing about building another micro layout Based on the Scenecraft single road servicing shed.

Any thoughts are welcome.

David

Excellent - my type of layout - low budget anytime...! - How about a grass banking added to the sides this will make a lot of difference as it gives it a proper edge.

Excellent - my type of layout - low budget anytime...! - How about a grass banking added to the sides this will make a lot of difference as it gives it a proper edge.

That's a good idea, well probably use it on my next layout - I am pretty happy with this diorama/layout as it is.

Good luck with your new project.

David

Archived