Camrail, July 23 / 24

John_Hughes

At last a model railway exhibition with a strong Colonel Stephens theme!

This year's Camrail will feature a number of top quality layouts and exhibits featuring models of the railways of Colonel Holman Fred Stephens.

Simon Castens of the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop is the organiser. Here is his description of Camrail 2011:

"Andrew Ullyott with his EM rendition of Weston's Ashcombe Road terminus, Robin Fielding with "Grove Ferry Junction" in S scale, the Colonel Stephens Society stand, Kerry Baylis with his modelling demonstration and......GOOD NEWS Les Darbyshire is bringing "Maidstone Road" out of retirement to the show and Stephen Hannington's wonderful "Rye Town" is also appearing, courtesy of its present custodian Chris Jackson.

In addition, Jerry Clifford with his brand new "Colonel Stephens meets William Smith" essay in 2mm finescale "Fullers Mill" and the return of Ted Olney and team with the evergreen "Smallcombe". The "Brink Valley Tramway" from Christopgher Payne and Dick Dorton's "Ardleigh Noel" featuring some superb 16mm stock built by none other than Peter Barnfield.

Entry prices are being held at inflation busting levels of incredible reasonableness, for a show with more high quality models than trade, 20th Century levels of civility, and a venue that owes more to John Betjeman than Simon Cowell.

So, an event not to be missed for discerning model railway enthusiasts and Colonel fans alike. Thank you very much to Nigel Bird and members of the Colonel Stephens Society committee and society for enthusiastic support in this venture."

Demonstrators:

John Dopson demystifies painting and lining, almost by royal appointment(!)

Kerry Baylis demonstrates modelling the Colonel's railways in 7mm Scale.

Alan Doddington will be modelling and extolling the virtues of the GWR in 4mm scale.

Bob Brown will be demonstrating and showing part of his new layout in 3mm scale

Rich Brown will be scratch building LB&SCR rolling stock in 7mm Scale.

Societies:

The Colonel Stephens Society will be representing their namesake and his railways, "a very civilised group with a wonderful newsletter – highly recommended and always a good read" - Simon Castens.

The Festiniog Railway will be representing their twin delights in North Wales, both now fully operational and well worth investigating.

Traders:

Finney and Smith will be feeding the finescale habit with vital metal supplies and assorted technicalia.

The Gas Cupboard will have all the latest from Hornby and Bachmann together with numerous model railway accessories and supplies.

Robin Tett will be in attendance with a plethora of previously owned model railway equipment.

The Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop will have the latest in quality railway publishing

Camrail 2011 will take place on Saturday and Sunday the 23rd and 24th July 2011 at Saint Margaret's Hall in the centre of Bradford on Avon.

Opening times 11.00am to 5.30pm on both days,

Admission fees £3.50 adults, £3.00 concessions, accompanied under 16s free

An excellent friendly show, which has the added attractions of a very good canal side cafe for breakfast and evening meals with a variety of pubs and an acceptable Indian restaurant within a few minutes walk. What more could you want!

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

I've not been for a couple of years, but making the trip there this year. Previously a very good and friendly show so looking forward to visiting again!

Trouble is, Simon always has too many interesting books that 'need' to be bought!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The previously mentioned very embryonic new layout 'Tucking Mill' will have trains running thanks to the burning of much midnight oil over the last few evenings and will hopefully be hosting a number of guest 2mm locos over the weekend. Come to one of the best small shows around and say hello.

Cheers Jerry

• RMweb Gold

An excellent show - got chatting to a fellah with a smashing model of Weston (WC&PR) later only to be introduced to him by Cap'n Kernow - at which point I found out that I'd been talking to ullypug, and vice versarolleyes.gif There were some smashing layouts on show and I've come to see Camrail as very much that sort of show with not too much room for trade (although there was good variety in albeit limited numbers). I found also, as a punter, that the 'Colonel Stephens theme' idea worked far better than I had expected it would with plenty of different thing to see in exchange for a reasonable entry charge. And - as ever - the catering was well up to scratch; basic but still much better quality than is found at many far larger venues.

• RMweb Gold

Went along today by train. Excellent trip out - managed to detour via Westbury to find a 59 doing quite bit of switching. Super layouts - non was in in my immediate area/era of interest but were all good to see. Nice to catch up with some modelling acquaintances as well and although the trade was indeed limited I came away with a number of "needs" including a two roller Bacchrus 7mm rolling road from F & S, some necessary (if seemingly expensive) styrene and some books I did not need but will thoroughly enjoy. Did not partake of the catering but who was the good looking chap in the pinny helping out?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Did he try and sell you a banana? :D

He was busy making the sandwiches - very good, but my Dad found most of the egg fell out!

He told me that bananas were being sold in the afternoon - after the sandwich run I guess.

Seriously though - good catering and very friendly service.

• RMweb Premium

Just back and unpacked from a cracking little show. Highlights for me were Maidstone Road and Rye Town.

Thanks to Simon and his team for organising a great event. Some photos attached below. Alas I didn't catch the advanced banana sales techniques but the cheese sandwiches were excellent.

post-6673-0-87975300-1311535403_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-11541800-1311535434_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-07461000-1311535483_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-40899700-1311535502_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-97504000-1311535528_thumb.jpg

Looks like a cracking show - would loved to have popped down but after driving all over the place during the week needed some time away from roads. Good to see the Rye Town is still around and looking as classy as ever- remember seeing it10 or so years ago and being very impressed.

Chris

post-2065-0-42270200-1311528203_thumb.jpg

Ah nuts - looks like it was an utterly top way to spend a Saturday... desert and beer? What more can you ask for in life? Oh, and I'm sure the show was first rate.

Must try harder....

Pix

Archived