Exford Park. CLOSED

Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Hello again all,

I like others have decided to go the topic route again as I can't get on with these blog thingmies! Besides which most of the threads I used to follow are now here as topics as well.

There is a link in my signature to my previous thread and rather than copy it all across I'll just start this topic with a summary of where I'm up to so far. (not very!) So here goes:

"Exford Park" was born in our loft about two years ago when the decision was made to break up my previous garage based layout to allow garage conversion. So the loft was cleared, boarded and lined with the Airtec product before the baseboards were constructed in the Vees of the roof supports to give an area of about 15 x 9 foot.

Now the back story, modellers' licence in hand!

Exford Park is located where the LSWR route to London leaves the GW mainline in Exeter. St Davids station and Riverside yard are 'moved' a bit further up the line towards Bristol. Exford Park is a small local station in the Exeter area just after the LSWR junction, and Exford Park stabling point is alongside the mainlines between the jct and St Davids, replacing the facilities at St Davids station. Locos from Exeter St Davids station, Riverside Yard, and the recently completed South Western International Freight Terminal (SWIFT!) near Exeter Airport and the A30/M5 junction, are serviced at Exford Park. The timeframe is 1988 to 93 (ish) so there will be lots of Class 50 action as well as Sector liveries etc, this being the era I remember/like the best from spotting days.

I had wanted to model a station similar in design to Exeter St Davids but decided there wouldn't be enough room to fit everything in allowing for decent length trains, and this way I've got somewhere to store my ever increasing loco stud.

To date progress has been sluggish to say the least with many other things using up spare time but the situation is thus:

1. All track laid and wired for DCC operation with a Prodigy system.
2. Point motors all fitted and wired up to two seperate panels and operated by normal DC stud and probe method.
3. The first start has been made on the senic side this last few weeks.
4. As a change I've spent time recently 'bashing' a 30 year old Hornby diesel shed into a single road running shed.

The trackplan appears below, crude I know but you get the idea.

blogentry-6922-12555615642022_thumb.jpg

The next few pics give some idea of whats gone on so far but more pics are on my fotopic site or previous thread for those interested, and I won't clog up the website with all of them.

blogentry-6922-12555629984951_thumb.jpg
Gives some idea of the space available. Its not possible to stand fully upright and the baseboard height is about 24" from the floor so a low stool is in use!

blogentry-6922-12555631331203_thumb.jpg
Track now laid looking West along the mainline to the junction with stabling point to the left.

blogentry-6922-12555632785745_thumb.jpg
Wiring in progress.

blogentry-6922-12555633304467_thumb.jpg
Exford Park panel in position.

blogentry-6922-12555634263067_thumb.jpg
The FY panel opposite.

blogentry-6922-12555636311296_thumb.jpg
Landform being created from insulation blocks. Part of the tunnel roof and the raised area behind the station are removable for emergencies and cleaning.

blogentry-6922-12555636917288_thumb.jpg
Exford Park station site with my latest new arrivals.

blogentry-6922-12555637555713_thumb.jpg
The same view 10 days later. Embankment coated in Polyfilla and paint, track sprayed ready for ballasting and platform edging now fitted in place.

blogentry-6922-12555638804973_thumb.jpg
View of the junction and tunnel mouth. Embankments ready for grassing etc. (It hasn't been Tango'd its Terracotta!tongue.gif )

post-6922-12590193227241_thumb.jpg
The butchered Hornby shed before assembly.

post-6922-12590197274455_thumb.jpg
Parts assembled for fit.

post-6922-1259019927141_thumb.jpg
This morning painting was completed and signage added. Just requires weathering and the lighting strip fitting before placing in position in the loft.

That's it for now, I will post updates as and when something happens but feel free to comment or ask questions.

Nice one Ianicon_thumbsup2.gif , I'm glad you decided to go down the 'thread route' it's so much easier and I suppose there is 'less' pressure than with a blog.

I really like your depot building, looking good.

I'm also quite taken with the idea with the lighting strip, any more info on said strip ?

What are you going to use for your platform surface? On one of my older loft layouts I also had a curved platform after a good few botches I opted to use left over floor tile groutwacko.gif

Cheers,

Matt.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Matt, funny how we always seem to be on here at the same time ('er indoors gone to bed?)

Thanks for your comment on the shed, I'm quite pleased with it and in fact have weathered it tonight. I'll take a pic in the light later this week.

I picked up the lighting strip at Wycrail a couple of weeks ago from 'Railroom Electronics' as an experiment really I hadn't considered lighting until then! It's actually a strip that can be cut into three seperate sections as required and all you need is a 12V supply as the resistors are built into it. ( www.rail-room-electronics.co.uk )

You noticed the lack of a platform surface then!! That's why the shed got built I'm not sure of the best way to go, cardboard or plastic with the curve. Possibly both with a bit of filler of some kind to hide the gaps!

Aye 'er indoors is safely tucked up in bed.

Thanks for the link I shall have a look later on.

I should really have two days off now but I have decided to work today for the overtime (off to Cheltenham, Chrimbo shopping next Fridaycool.gif )

Regards to your platform surfaces. First of all I used Daler board but getting that curve right was a real pain and it didn't adhere very well either to the edging when the loft was hot but plastic to plastic should be a better solution and when filled and painted ( with textured paint perhaps?) it should look pretty good.

As Dave has already mentioned thats very neat and tidy wiring, impressed.

• RMweb Premium

Who are you shopping for, a visit to CMC perhaps? I need to swing past there on my travels myself to pick up some bits.

I might have a go at the platform this weekend, watch this space as they say.

Thanks to you and Dave for the comments on the wiring, but its easier to fault find, if necessary, when it all makes sense. Also I still have to crawl under the baseboards to access the eaves for storage of the usual loft contents so the wiring needs to be safely out of the way. (Note to self: got to find tree and decs this weekend for the kids and wife.)

Thanks for tipping me off in my blog about the shed hack. Shed looks really good - looks like you have the same Wills corrugated metal sheets as I bought last week to use in exactly the same way as you have... so I'm not copying honest (plus mine will stay as two roads).

Are you going to put some doors on either end ?

• RMweb Premium

Paul,

I added a 'hint' of open roller doors last night with some cladding sheet I had lying around painted yellow and stuck to the inner edges of the doorway. I will get some more pics when I next go into the loft, I'm just off out to the garage to cut some thin MDF to start the retaining walls.

Thanks Gary

Blimey if I've got someone following me I'd better get on with it then!

• RMweb Premium

Have now stuck together some thin MDF and covered with Metcalfe brick sheets for the retaining walls and overbridge supports at the station. I've two days off at the end of the week for 'me time' so plan to get them fitted and get the platform sorted I hope and you never know might even get some ballasting done around the station. Pics to follow then.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Just an update on progress made the last few days. All the retaining walls around the station have been constructed and fitted and all the backscene boards have been repainted to match each other. The platform now has a cardboard surface ready for painting and the overbridge has supports and an embankment down to the station car park. However, I didn't get as far as ballasting after all as I couldn't resist the urge to play trains as I hadn't had a running session for some time! Whilst things were running around me I got a few more locos chipped and some wheels cleaned, and the new 150 was chipped and run in.

The pics show the progress and also a view of the shed that has been weathered, although this needs mounting on a "concrete base" as its a little too low for some locos!

post-6922-12601424623646_thumb.jpg

Aerial view of station with hidden tracks exposed.

post-6922-12601425754998_thumb.jpg

View of station showing latest progress.

post-6922-12601426319377_thumb.jpg

Platform level view with local services calling.

post-6922-12601426867595_thumb.jpg

Class 60 heads West passing the "new" running shed.

post-6922-12601427509425_thumb.jpg

County of Somerset bursts out of the tunnel with a cross country service.

post-6922-12601428436596_thumb.jpg

Victorious eases through Exford Park with a Waterloo train.

post-6922-12601429818859_thumb.jpg

47701 & 50003 occupy the pit roads where the next shed will be sited.

post-6922-12601430874939_thumb.jpg

33008 & 37035 rest on the fuel point alongside the new weathered shed.

post-6922-12601431661288_thumb.jpg

37035 is held at Exford Park with ballast empties for Meldon.

post-6922-1260143259583_thumb.jpg

After getting the signal the 37 now crosses to the Up line to continue its journey.

post-6922-12601434224217_thumb.jpg

The latest arrival Class 150 pauses at Exford Park.

post-6922-12601434821799_thumb.jpg

Temeraire powers past the stabling point with the next Up train for Waterloo.

That's all for now folks but it feels good to have made some visible progress at last!

I remember seeing this on the old RMweb and I was waiting for something to happen. Boy has it happened!! Excellent progress. Now to confess ignorance. Whats the difference between a shed and a running shed? Is the running shed just for quick checks and the like?

Cheers

Guy

• RMweb Premium

Guy

Not 100% sure myself, but I guess as you say quick checks, clean windscreen, checks fluids and top up, fill washer bottles etc. Anything more involved and its over to the main shed with the pits.

As you say things are happening slowly but now all the wiring tasks are complete any progress is visible.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Beast, I guess you recognise it then!!

I was inspired whilst watching Widnes for what seemed like the whole afternoon in Aylesbury a year or so back, it made me completely rethink the approach I was going to take. I think I credited you before on the old rmweb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well three weeks have past since the last update and nothing has really happened layout wise as its been a bit chilly up top!

However, I've spent several evenings with the paints out for a change and two more Class 50s have been renumbered at long last and 50045 has become 50024 which involved the removal of the Hornby "weathering" and repainting of the grey stripe a darker shade. Whilst another 50035 has been transformed into 50046 complete with black roof, they both now need a bit of weathering to complete but both have been chipped and given a run.

Tonight was spent painting bufferstops, dummy point motors and point lever bases for fitting before more ballasting can take place. No pics tonight but I will hopefully get some over the weekend.

Happy New Year to you all.

Archived