Exford Park. CLOSED

Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

A nice mix then, how insulated is your loft?? wink.gif

I guess I'm going to find out very soon, the chips are ready for collection from Howes! I might get diverted from the office on Tuesday afternoon to pick them up.biggrin_mini2.gif yahoo_mini.gif

Thanks Claggy.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all can you guess where I've been today?

post-6922-12754310437_thumb.jpg

Just come down from the loft after spending a couple of hours fitting a chip to a Class 33 and playing around with it. I decided to mount the speaker in the fuel tanks and it sounds great, although I had to turn the volume down to a more manageable 15! I need to play around with the Acc & Dec values tomorrow but very pleased so far.smile.gif

One quick thing - I have an early Hornby 50 that has a problem circuit board - runs fine on DC but once you put a chip in it cooks fairly quickly.

If your 50's aren't already chipped and working fine on DCC, I'd suggest checking both your 50's with a cheap £10 chip first for an extended running session as it's better to blow a £10 chip than a £100 sound chip.

Morning.

Lovely looking layout and awesome 50's on it. As for the early 50s this is a known problem and the fix is very easy. Either contact Hornby and they will supply a new PCB or simply turn the plug the other way round. I have 16 class 50's at the last count and 6 of them are early runs. Turning the decoder round has worked fine for me for years. I have only just bought my first sound decoder the other day and have yet to try it in one of the effected 50's. Saying that I'm well hooked with sound now, I cant stop playing with it. I definatly need more than 1 though.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Ian, thats an impressive stack of sound chips.... I think a 33 will be next on my list.. Hows the camcorder going??

Only had a play with the camcorder so far nothing worth showing, just getting used to the buttons/settings. I need an extra lamp to improve the light before taking any serious video I think!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thought it was perhaps time for an update as some grass has been growing and 4 Heljan 47s have been tinkered with!

post-6922-127707293443_thumb.jpg

47808 has been renumbered and repaired from its journey through the post and finally weathered before making its debut on Exford Park. 47500 has had the bufferbeam painted red and weathered. Both pose outside the shed.

post-6922-127707310402_thumb.jpg

47490 renumbered and backdated with older overhead wire symbols and then weathered, emerges from the tunnel.

post-6922-12770732382_thumb.jpg

108 DMU slows for the station in front of the now grassy "Tangoland!" The embankments are covered with Hanging Basket Liner and will receive much more senic treatment but at least the orange paint is covered at last!

post-6922-127707342985_thumb.jpg

50037 passes through the station looking the other way. This loco should gain its plates this week and have a sound chip fitted.

post-6922-127707351403_thumb.jpg

Another loco making its Exford Park debut after weathering, 47321 crosses to the Down GW mainline with a van train for Truro.

Need to spend my spare time this week getting my other 4 sound chips into locos before next Saturday when the "Leaford on the road crew" are coming over for playtime!good_mini.gif

Had a great day Saturday playing at Exford Park, It is a really nice layout and I happily took the role of shed foreman... Thanks Ian for your hospitality and Kevin (Leaford) for your company.

The sound chips sounded good, especially the horn on the 47 Kevin!

Bocott provided a large logo 37 to work out of Exford for a while, between them they are trying to prevent it working back up north...

Thanks again Ian.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Had a great day Saturday playing at Exford Park, It is a really nice layout and I happily took the role of shed foreman... Thanks Ian for your hospitality and Kevin (Leaford) for your company.

The sound chips sounded good, especially the horn on the 47 Kevin!

Bocott provided a large logo 37 to work out of Exford for a while, between them they are trying to prevent it working back up north...

Thanks again Ian.

Scott

After the stand in foreman had left, the local management sent the Scottish 37 to the shed for attention to its non functioning lights.

post-6922-127766987485_thumb.jpg

Within a few minutes the fitters had diagnosed the problem to broken wiring and made good the repairs, and the 37 rolled out for testing.

post-6922-127767002391_thumb.jpg

Later that afternoon 37408 makes a fine sight and noise as it roars under the bridge having taken over a Swansea-Paington train at Exeter St Davids.cool.gif

post-6922-12776701591_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments Scott I am glad you enjoyed yourself, hopefully it won't be so hot next time you visit. I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of fixing the lights for you and if your free next Friday I'll be at home because the car's in the garage.wink.gif

The 37 looks quite at home at Exford, many thanks for sorting the lights, the Bocott fitters will be in for a rollocking tomorrow. They should have spotted that it was the wiring. ;)

As for Friday, I will get back to you on that one, might have to seek out a day pass, I'm out all day wednesday spotting so might not be able to get two in one week! I'll PM you when I know.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

I've spent time during the evenings over the last week improving 4 Heljan 33s from their "out of box" look at last. Also spent an enjoyable few hours on Friday just playing trains with Scott (pitbull1845).

post-6922-127826115531_thumb.jpg

It must be Friday as the "Dutch" locos gather at Exford Park.

post-6922-127826122864_thumb.jpg

'65 has been renumbered to 33057 Seagull, ploughs added, bits and pieces painted and finally weathered.

post-6922-127826132528_thumb.jpg

'201 has been renumbered to 33202 The Burma Star, again ploughs added and extras painted, but only lightly weathered.

post-6922-127826157965_thumb.jpg

33108 alongside 33057, '108 has had pipes etc painted and weathered and its sound chip fitted at last!.

post-6922-127826144692_thumb.jpg

33101 has had 'bagpipes' and other extras painted and weathered, seen passing through Exford Park.

post-6922-12782615437_thumb.jpg

Later in the day and 33108 is comandeered to work an Up mule vice a 50.

post-6922-127826167946_thumb.jpg

'108 takes the LSWR route at the junction and heads for Waterloo.

post-6922-127826173689_thumb.jpg

The 33 opens up making a fine noise through the curve of Exford Park station.cool.gif

I am so pleased with the results that a few hours can make to the out of box models I have now taken my other three 33s downstairs for similar treatment, watch this space!

Ian,

Cracked on well with the scenery and it looks really good. I feel guilty as I haven't touched Buxstone for weeks. I feel the urge......

33's look good

Jeff

Those 33's look really good, you have done a nice job. Double headed on the seacows, snaking across the junction would make a nice picture! As you say, it was worth the effort.

Did you get a pass for Operation Henley??

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Did you get a pass for Operation Henley??

Cheers

Scott

Make that operation Derby only, as long as I'm back for 6pm (ish)good_mini.gif I take it you can make it then, can you get here for 8 ish so we can get to Derby for opening?

Oh yeah its definately a pass for me, I did PM you over the weekend or at least I thought I did?? 8 is no problem, I can do earlier if you wish! Looking forward to it.

Jeff, don't feel guilty, I haven't done as much on my layout as I would like too.

cheers

Scott

Hi Ian,

Those Cromptons look superb,cool.gif I always liked them in Dutch. Exford Park certainly brings back happy memories of travelling the Mule and watching the goings on at Exeter. I am a bit worried for the passengers on the train with 33108 up front, because during 1992 I worked at Eastleigh Depot and 33108 was on shed a fair bit and was being used as a depot shunter and local trips. Apparently she had an intermittent fault and had a habit of loosing power. maybe it was after being thrashed on the Mule, after working from Exford maybe.laugh.gif

Marks 37408 didn't look to out of place either in 94 I think it was based at Cardiff as I got a pic of her at Weymouth on a Bristol train.

Keep the pics comming great stuf.

Cheers peter.

• RMweb Premium

Apparently she had an intermittent fault and had a habit of loosing power. maybe it was after being thrashed on the Mule, after working from Exford maybe.laugh.gif

Marks 37408 didn't look to out of place either in 94 I think it was based at Cardiff as I got a pic of her at Weymouth on a Bristol train.

Thanks for the compliment Peter, '108 was certainly getting thrashed yesterday, aren't sound chips great!cool.gif

The 37 is actually Scott's (pitbull1845) but he will be pleased to know he can get away with it on his layout too!

• RMweb Premium

Hey Ian,

just wondering what you've used for your embankment grasses?

At the moment they have just been covered with hanging basket liner, PVA'd face down and the backing peeled off when dry. This is just the basic ground cover and lots more will added from various other products when I get around to it, too busy playing at the moment!

Archived