Bodge City - Bye Bye Bick

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I'm v-e-r-y slowly building a bedroom US switching layout called Bodge City,(because most of my modelling is a big bodge). I needed a background building and fancied a damp, run down concrete jobby, and it needed to be fairly large to fill up the hole. This is the result, all made from junk lying round the place, a bit of hot melt- and super-glue, some paint and powders. I will turn up some roof vents somewhen, but I've lost interest in it for now (attention span of a peanut).

I also still have to smudge some damp streaks, as can be seen unfortunately I am as artistic as a sack of potatoes so can't really do anything justice. Some signs will also be made, I'm going to have a go at the sanded paper sign method. I expect that will be a bodge too....

Bit disappointed as well as I used to do this sort of thing for a quid - I reckon this one cost nearer £1.50. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.gif

post-6683-0-29685300-1309705684_thumb.jpg

Inspection from the rear reveals the true nature of its construction.

post-6683-0-43981500-1309705857_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That'll do nicely Matey. Perfect for the job. By the time is has its signs and some other buildings and general clutter around it will look as though it's been there for ages.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That looks very good, one thing though, I take it the Danger Deep Water sign used is not needed any more?

Well, my employer's usual route is need 10 signs, order 100, wait two years, bin 90.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil

It is good to see that you have put them pointless safety notices to good use.:rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed your company in the pub at the RMweb do,

Carry on your good work at the Mid Hants.

All the best

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments, I thought this thread was dead and buried!

Tim, enjoyed meeting with you and the others too, would hope to do it again some time - and Jack, thanks for the link, have bookmarked it for future reference.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Due to the present cold spell it was decided that the attraction of working in the loft on the roundy roundy had its limitations. Thoughts returned to the layout languishing in the small bedroom, aptly named Bodge City because most things on it are just that. It's a generic US DCC switching layout populated with a sound equipped mainly diesel fleet although there are a few steamers.

The thing that's been putting me off is the trackwork - it's been built using the Fast Tracks method meaning that a few thousand cosmetic ties have to be manufactured and laid. I've made a start, my chosen method is ebay coffee stirrers split in half lengthways then trimmed to length on an old office guillotine. Very monotonous and time consuming, but at least it's almost free. Lay in place then flood with my favourite 99p for ten tubes superglue.

post-6683-0-42880500-1384944530_thumb.jpg

Till the next time.....but don't hold your breath.

Edit: just realised this should now be in layout section, apologies.

• RMweb Premium

'Bout bloomin' time you got yer wassaname in gear on that trackwork! Looks pretty good to me.

There must be several hundred used teabags sitting in your kitchen you could use to make up a stain for those wooden ties. Crack on mate I'm waiting to play trains.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

As progress is made I have to admit to an out break of mild enthusiasm. Considering that the raw materials are ebay coffee stirrers and 99p store superglue, and that cutting said stirrers to size is not necessarily an exact science plus all spacing is done by eye rather than measurement - Well, all in all I'm quite pleased with how it's going.

post-6683-0-15944700-1385036051_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-57625400-1385036084_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-97848600-1385036142_thumb.jpg

Switch operation is mandraulic using recycled probably 50 plus year old Gem(?) levers which were rescued from the proverbial skip. Although overscale I feel sure that by the time a bit of ballast and grass or whatever is chucked round it they won't look so big.

post-6683-0-90432000-1385036368_thumb.jpg

Polarity switching is by ebay mini switches operated by the lever in the Gems. These are usually under the baseboard, operated by bits of brass wire soldered to the lever. However due to my usual lack of forward planning some have to be surface mounted and will have to be disguised -  they do give an indication of how it works though..

post-6683-0-89190100-1385036604_thumb.jpg

That's about it, TTFN.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As title, basic trackwork is now finished, one of those grit teeth and crack on jobs. It works as well. As can be seen the only rtp bit of track is the double slip, just couldn't get the one I made to work properly.

It will be a swine to switch, which was part of the original remit, I didn't want to get too bored too soon. I'm sketching out a trackplan which I will perhaps upload somewhen.

post-6683-0-77078500-1388680859_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-01594500-1388680878_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-13559000-1388680913_thumb.jpg

Ballasting won't be as per the norm, more of a general weed and rubbish strewn covering - as such it will be undertaken when this lot is made and positioned on the layout. Given the odd shaped spaces available kitbashing is inevitable, especially the contents of the long white box, the mighty Heljan Brewery.

post-6683-0-04884500-1388681210_thumb.jpg

TTFN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been doing a bit more on this painfully slow saga of a build. This time it's a coal drop to supply BC's solid fuel needs. I had a look at photos of others' efforts on the net and shamelessly nicked some ideas to suit whatever junk and scrap bits and bobs I had lying around. The structure is made out of bits of wood, the omnipresent coffee stirrers, wire and some long forgotten Ratio bits (ladder and lampshades) I'm as pleased as I'm ever going to be with my efforts - somehow something always gets lost between my brain and my fingers. I am very pleased with the fact that it cost w-a-y under a quid though....

Some gratuitous photos:

post-6683-0-08979700-1390854808_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-53368300-1390854817_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-87372300-1390854828_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-54642300-1390854840_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-31019100-1390854849_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-57891900-1390854858_thumb.jpg

I think I post these more to keep myself at it really, it does indicate a bit of progress even if enthusiasm is usually waning rather than waxing.

Next will be some photos of the painted homemade trackwork, which didn't scrub up too badly in the end.

You have been warned.

• RMweb Premium

More proper progress there Mr. H. This retirement lark must suit you!

I'm no expert on matters colonial but what stops the coal dropping down on the side with no vehicular access? Should there be a sloping back wall or some sort of hopper structure underneath? I couldn't get my friend Google to find me a picture of one on that side of the pond.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies.

Dave, The unloading chutes on the hoppers are between the rails so the coal is supposed to drop straight down from them. These things don't have too many cross ties so the coal should be unimpeded on its way down (see photo). The coal you see on the platform is supposed to represent overspill which I suppose is inevitable, I'd better put some on the back as well. 

I think that's what you mean, although I'd better put something on the back of the lower platform to stop it all falling out the back there (did you mean that?)

post-6683-0-15195100-1390904665_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

...I think that's what you mean, although I'd better put something on the back of the lower platform to stop it all falling out the back there (did you mean that?)...

Erzackly that. As you have it half the black stuff will drop down the back where there is no access. All the UK variants I have seen seem to be built with a back wall so that the stuff is thrown forwards so it can be offloaded/bagged. Not sure how our colonial cousins normally organise this. Not a big deal but just a thought.

Cheers

Dave

Archived